"NXT Flat Panel speakers" (at Brookstone of all places!)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1329
Saw and heard this a few days ago (wife got a GC there for her birthday):

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=450585&world_code=2&cate gory_code=20&subcategory_code=401&search_type=subcategory&cm_re=C*Electronics*Stereo%20Systems&prodtemp=t2

And lo and behold, thought they were pretty decent speakers...nice open, clear and pleasant sound, very little distortion even at high volumes! Obviously having it sit in the middle of a shop and playing only some Brookstone-generic lounge music hardly offered ideal listening conditions but I was still very surprised at the sound quality.

Of course like everything else at Brookstone this was hideously overpriced at $350 but still they were the best-sounding OEM minisystem speakers I've ever heard.

Anybody know anything about NXT and this type of technology? How is this different from Magnepan's technology, or is it just a cheap low-end knock-off?

This is all I could dig up about NXT:

http://www.nxtsound.com/industries/industryIndex.php?MODE=HOME

I'm not saying I'd trade in my Ascend speakers and NAD separates for one of these getups, but if I were in the market for a cheap mini-system this would definitely be on my list, especially if it were maybe $100 less.

Any of you have a Brookstone in your neck of the woods, it'd be worth popping in and taking a look at and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

PS. Any resemblance to the SDAT thread is purely coincidental...no, I am *not* posting this as a satirical piece! : )

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 14
I have a Teac minisystem that utilizes ultra thin satellites and a sub which have that NXT logo on them. Dont know how it works, but they aren't too bad. I got the thing from costco for $100 though.

Bronze Member
Username: Caesar4831

Post Number: 11
Edster,
I have seen them at the Brookstone store here in Des Moines. Also at BB under the Insignia line I think? They sounded pretty good at the Brookstone store but your'e right about the price. Would be good for a bedroom though if you like some music in the evening.

angsuman
Unregistered guest
I think NXT is not related to planar speakers in anyway. It's basically loudspeaker motors that vibrate and excite a panel made of plastic or cardboard. It's goal is not really high-fidelity but it's cool.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us