Speaker grills

Bronze Member
Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 48
what purpose do they serve? What is under the grill looks pretty cool so why not take them off.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 400
Protection...........however, most grills only have the potential to protect dust since they are very flimsy even speakers that are expensive.

I agree.........I always listen to music without the grills.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 813
Some sound better with, and some without. Try it yourself, and go with the one you like - since you like the looks of both.

Some thicker grills do add something to the sound - takes the edge off - benefits aggressive souding speakers.

Personally I like the sound without on most speakers - has that attention getting immediacy to the sound - closer to real - sounds like a veil has been lifted.

Experiment and go with the one that sounds best to you.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 703
I have JBL's for the HT setup and I leave the grille's on but for my Totem Rainmakers (which don't come with grille's) they probably would take away from the sound. I agree that some are better with and some are better without, generally cheaper speakers sound better with. Generally.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1241
Some speakers are designed to sound better with grilles on. The Paradigm Reference series for example. Others are designed without a grille as part of the equation. Consult each manufacturer to find out if they were designed their speakers specifically with grilles as part of the equation or whether it's just a matter preference.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 303
I like em without the grills. If a speaker has to use grills to dessipate sound, chances are that it will sound good only in the sweet spot, and no-where else.

I like to get the most out of mine, so I chose the ones that dont limit or reffrain me to a confined listening spot.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1242
Not quite accurate. Magnepan, now that's a speaker with a limited sweet spot. Paradigm Reference speakers do not have a small sweet spot.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 712
Totems are usually really hard to place, but these Rainmakers do good closer together than I would have thought.

B.Steele
Unregistered guest
Personally, I take the grilles off and wrap toilet paper around my speakers. I've found that the tonality is much more well behaved, not to mention that it is the ultimate cure for stubborn imaging problems. Double-ply, of course, not any of that cheap stuff on my monitors! If you take a green sharpie marker and draw pictures of music notes on the toilet paper (not on the sides - such a beginner's mistake) in front of the drivers and over the wire terminals the musicality will literally knock your socks off your feet. Seriously.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 829
B. Steele, be still !!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us