Narrowed to 2! (Paradigm & Athena)

Username: Virgil1

Post Number: 2
After much soul-searching and an equal amount of internet-searching, I've finally narrowed down my next speaker buy to two floorstanders:

Paradigm Monitor 7
Athena AS-F2.2

Now I know most of you have heard at least one of these, and I'm hoping some have heard both as well.

Please, help me! I'm going to hear the Paradigm Monitor 7 tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be able to hear the Athena AS-F2.2 unless I BUY THEM. How do they compare?

Wes

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 801
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/149525.html

They are both good canadian speakers - might want to buy the above one and save.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 285
An alternative could be PSB Image T45. They are more expensive at retail than the ones you mentioned, but Hippo's has them on closeout (A-Stock, not B-Stock) -

http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/closeout1.htm

I like them a lot more than the Paradigm Monitor 7's. I haven't heard the Athena's. I believe at the closeout price they are cheaper than the Paradigms.

If you're interested and have any concerns about buying from Hippo's, let me know. I grew up about 10 minutes away from them, and still stop in whenever I'm home.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 210
I did not like the Paradigm Monitor 7. They are smooth and pleasant but cannot fill a large room with music and the bass is thin. On the other hand the Athena AS-F2s are efficient and very authoritative in there presentation. They have great dynamics with excellent transparancy and detail but can be bright as they do not conceal poorly recorded sibilant CDs that are common in the POP and ROCK genres. (I have the Athena AS-F2 Series one. I assume the AS-F2.2 Series two sound the same as the changes were cosmetic and weight was reduced.)

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 211
The PBS T45 with it's dual 5 1/4" woofers is not in the same league as the Athena AS-F2.2 with dual 8" woofers. You will simply not be able to get the Athena authority and bass slam with the T45.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1238
I would have to disagree with Rick this time. Anytime I have heard the Monitor 7 properly set up the one characteristic it did not lack was bass. I remember one disc in particular, a Dorian recording of Antonio Estevez "La Cantata Criolla" where the Monitor 7's shook the room in which I heard them. I think that in a moderate sized room it is the best of the three speakers mentioned so far. The PSB T55 (never heard the T45) is quite good and worth a listen.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 212
I heard the Monitor 5 and 7 in a large room (about the size of a typical home "great room") set up for theater demo using a NAD theater amp. I listened to Rock (Creed & Nickelback), Celine Dione, Toni Braxton and Jane Jackson's "Black Cat". I like a "big" sound. When the music is loud, I like the bass to slam if the music calls for it. The Monitor 5 & 7 couldn't do it. They always sounded "small".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1250
I had the Monitor 5 v4's in my typical living room for several months and they sounded very good and reached considerable volume for a speaker of there price. I don't listen to the type of music you do so perhaps that may make a difference. I listen to primarily classical and jazz, with some funk, R&B, and classic rock mixed in. Also listen to celtic. I must admit that I don't listen to Creed and Toni Braxton.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 304
"The PBS T45 with it's dual 5 1/4" woofers is not in the same league as the Athena AS-F2.2 with dual 8" woofers. You will simply not be able to get the Athena authority and bass slam with the T45."

Rick -
Have you heard the T45's? The bass may not be deep pipe-organ bass, but it does go pretty deep - 35Hz, and PSB is always right on with their measurements. And the 35 Hz is clean and tight. The T55's are a step up from this, but not an in your face night and day difference. I listen to mainly classic and alternative rock/metal (Santana to Korn) and didn't have a single compliant about a lack of bass from the T45's when I auditioned them next to the T55's.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 215
No I have not heard them. I didn't say they lacked bass. The point is that two 5" woofers cannot push as much air as two 8s can.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 216
The Paradigm Monitor 9 should be considered as comparison to the Athena AS-F2.2.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 33
Hate to burst your bubble there Rick but the Monitor 7 has two 6.5" woofers, not 5". Also, purely by specs, the Monitor 7's bass extension is easily on par with the Athena.

You might also keep in mind that a 6.5" driver makes a much better midrange speaker than an 8" driver under most circumstances.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 217
The PSB T45 has the 5 1/4" inch woofers I speak of.

Hate to burst your bubble but the Monitor 9 out performs the Monitor 7 & 5. You should take the time to compare them side by side. The Monitor 5 sounds just like the Monitor 7 but does not have the bass extension.

The Monitor 7 is on par with the Athena AS-F1.2.
The Monitor 9 is on par with the Athena AS-F2.2.

It's up to the purchaser to determine which is better for them when they consider price and performance.

I have both the AS-F2 and AS-F1. The Paradigm dealer is right on the corner.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1291
Rick the Monitor 9 does not outperform the the Monitor 7 and 5. Most folks who have listened to them critically believe that the Monitor 5 is the best sounding speaker in the Monitor series. It's the model with the most coherent sound. You start to hear the cabinets with the 7's and 9's. I have owned at least one pair of Paradigms for the last 10 yrs and my friend carries Paradigm in his store (the store he has owned for the last 20 yrs). He has a copy of nearly every critical review done on all of his speakers.

IMO the Athena series that you speak of is not in the same league relative to quality as any Paradigm Monitor series speaker. They are along the lines of the Paradigm Performance series.

In the end though it is going to be Wesly who must decide. Both brands offer speakers of good value.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1351
I've heard the Monitor line and would agree with Art, the 5 is the best of the bunch.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 363
I owned the v2 monitor 5 and was the best out of the bunch it was a 2 way floorstander then.The Athenas are not even in the Performance series league,the Monitor series way out its league.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 218
When your ears are attached to my head you can write my posts.

Bronze Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 35
That can be arranged....

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 219
THE CALLUS SOPHISTICATES REAR THEIR UGLY HEADS...

...AGAIN!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1297
Rick, I don't think anyone meant any harm. I just felt that from my perspective your remarks required another viewpoint, especially if Wesley or anyone else following this thread were to get a more complete picture.

I know you like your Athena's and they're a fine speaker but I believe you set yourself up by comparing them to spaekers that in many folk's mind are in a different league. For instance I don't go to the Audiogon forum and compare my speakers to Thiels or Von Schweikert's. I like my speakers but I know where to draw the line.

Anyway, I hope you are not angry because that was not my intention.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 220
Oh yes...I dare to go and listen to Paradigm and Athenas and COMPARE THEM...OH MY GOD, HOW COULD I EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THAT!!!

I looked in my wallet, considered my experiences and made a choice and...

IT'S ATHENA!!! WHAT AM I, INSANE?

STONE HIM!!!!

It's all about personal preference and choice. You people don't seem to understand that. I ALWAYS say that people should go listen and make the choice. The gentleman above was considering the Paradigm Monitor Line and Athenas. To discourage him from listening and making a choice is not right. I gave him MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES AND OPINION.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1298
And so did I, so why are you taking peronally that we both conveyed our opinions to someone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us