Bookshelf or sat

Anonymous
heard new polks 6700's sats. but not the bookshelf rti28. has anyone compared the sound on both?is there much more of a difference with the bookshelf? though a bit large, would rather purchase only if that much better. dont have time to go listen to them... work work!%#@ someone with any knowledge por favor help!!

Hey Anon,

While I don't have the 6700 kit, I do have a similiar Boston Acoustics MicroSystem 8000, I also recently added the Polk RTi38's as my mains and to complete a full 7.1 set-up. Here's my opinion after about a month with the new setup.

I've owned the Boston system for about 5 years, when I also purchased a Denon receiver. I never liked the sound of that original kit, the receiver sounded muted while the sats sounded, well, thin.

Anyway, with the recent addition of a HK AVR525 receiver I also bought the Polk 38's. When I installed the new receiver I connected the Boston's in a 5.1 config. The HK (with crossovers set) breathed new life into the satellites and I was hearing subtlety and voicing that I had not previously heard.

HOWEVER, happy (but hardly amazed) by the Boston's new life, I proceeded to connect the new Polks.

I was amazed!

I think the Polks are nice speakers, I wouldn't call them amazing, but I was AMAZED really more about the sonic difference in bookshelf speakers versus sub/sats.

Sub/Sat conclusions after some listening time:
1. When sats are well crossedover with a good sub that is set to voice not far beyond it's capabilities the sound is not too bad at moderate volume.
2. When the volume goes up, the disparity between the mid-highs/highs and bass becomes wider and wider. At moderately high volume you get "BOOM" and "HISS". The bass begins to just push LF with out voicing "notes" and the mids in the sats get lost and you just get a kind of harshness.
3. The sound for movies was really just fine, but music was really, really lacking. At best it was somewhat detailed and clean, at worst it was thin, anemic, tinny, offered no separation, soundstaging, voicing, or spaciousness--and no warmth at all.

Conclusions on the Polks:
1. Hooking up the Polks reminded me of what really good stereo can do. The 38s have a 6.5 inch woofer, 1" silk dome tweet, and a rear-firing port. They are on the larger (and heavier) side of bookshelf speakers but that's part of their strength (no replacement for displacement).
2. I set the crossover on the Polks at 80hz (on the Bostons at 200hz), the sound is supple, warm, detailed, offers wonderful staging, spaciousness and DETAIL, I have heard instruments in some WEst African music that I'd never heard before.
3. I can listen all day with out feeling fatigued...that was never the case with the sats.
4. Coupled with my Boston Sub, the Polks and the sub are a match made in heaven. The Polks do have low-end limits and when paired with my sub (to help out dwoon low) they offer the best sound I've had in my house.

I am so impressed with bookshelves I will likely return my 38s for the new LSi line from Polk (likely the LSi9's).

It is ironic that getting this gear was precipitated by the desire for 7.1 soundfields. Now with the capabilities of the Polks I am listening to almost everything in stereo with the sub.

Again, if movies are your thing I think the sub/sat thing is awesome (or at the very least enough to really impress you). If music is a big part of your kit's goal, then I think a set of bookshelves is mandatory.

Good luck!

-h1pst3r
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us