Reciever Question

Username: Bmo

Tehachapi, Calif USA

Post Number: 1
In the next week I will be purchassing another Reciever, I am contimplating between the HK AVR 635, 435 or the DPR2005.I realy like HK products ,so I will stay with them. Just need feedback if these will have enough umph to feed Monitor Audio RS 8's . I just purchased these today, and will get them this week. I currently have an HK AVR 65 with the Bose AM system. I plan on replacing those as well but after the wife warms to the new sound and price of the upgrades.( she picked the Bose 7 years ago , time for a change)
If the Reciever I buy ( ?) will not provide enough umph for the MA RS 8, can I use the AVR 65 to help or, as I have an old but good Sansui 1100 Intergated amp,can it be used to help with the front speakers?
I had planed on the MA RS 6's but wife liked the 8's better.That took $ 400 more than I had planned.( Now thats a good woman!)

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 932
Bill, all you need to do is check the speaker efficiency (ohms) and wattage capability and see if the receiver will accommodate them. It's that simple.

Username: Bmo

Tehachapi, Calif USA

Post Number: 2
Maybee to simple, even for a simpleton. What I see is the MA-8,s handle 175 watts,at 6 ohms
The HK AVR 635,90 w sterio,75 w all channels,DPR 2005-120 w all channel, both @ 8 ohms.
When I listened to the MA -8 against some Klisph towers,the MA-8 required almost 2x as much power to aquire the same listening level.The Amp used was a Yammy . The sales kid had no idea what its wattage was.
I'm not into thumping sounds,just good clear music. The MA-8 handle 175 w, is that before they blow(?.
I'm asking the question to hopefully go the least exspensive route,while not sacrificing quality;.If I need to purchase the HK DPR 2005 to push these speakers by itself,then thats the route I will go. If the DPR 2005 will still not do the justice the MA-8 needs, then I will buy either the HK AVR 435 or 635 and connect one of my other Reciever/Int-Amp to the front channels.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 938
HK is usually conservatively rated. Check its output into a 6 ohm load. May be that you will need a more powerful receiver to avoid clipping. Generally, more damage is done to speakers with a significantly underpowered receiver driven into clipping than one with more power, if its clean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us