Need some helpl here.

Username: Blazinice

Post Number: 1
I want to put togeather a system for my room (average size/not big). I want to know what is the best receiver for about + or - $500. I am looking at the Onkyo TX-SR602, tell me what you think.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 792
2 channel or surround?

I would stick to 2 and get these.

Onkyo 8511 receiver - ebay
www.hifi.com - model 6 speaker
toshiba 3960 dvd - ebay

With the left over money, you can get a NAD CD player on ebay as well if you are not happy with music sound.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1319
The Onkyo 602 should run closer to $300, and will be fine for HT but if you are picky about music performance I'd look at Harman Audio on eBay for the best bang for your buck. Should be able to pick up an HK 330/335-430/435 in that price range with full original manufacturer's warranty.

And if you decide to go 2 channel I'd look at a NAD 320bee integrated amp for $300-400.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 289
I agree with Edster. Although I would go to Harmon's site directly and buy. The prices there are a few dollars more than the strating bids on E-Bay, and a lot of the stuff has free shipping. You could save a few dollars on E-Bay, or you could end up paying more, depending on the way the bidding goes.

http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&brand=HK

A better alternative than the H/K's would be the NAD C320BEE or C352, if you can live without a tuner. NAD has a seperate tuner for about $300 retail, but when adding them up it may be out of your budget.

Edster - Do you know that Harmon's website sells their refurbished stuff directly?

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 73
Stu... those prices on Harman's website are pretty high for refurbs.

AVR-235:
Harman refurb: $349
Onecall.com (new): $349.11
Price I paid for refurb from Harman on Ebay: $261

AVR-435:
Harman refurb: $629
Onecall.com (new): $581.72

AVR-635:
Harman refurb: $769
Onecall.com (new): $699.64

AVR-7300:
Harman refurb: $1298
Onecall.com (new): $1342.80
Ok, Harman wins that one.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 295
Ziggy...Maybe it depends on the model. The few I looked up were the stereo receivers, and there was about $10-20 difference between the Harmon price and starting price on E-Bay. I guess you have to look at each one individually...

Thanks!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 74
Also Stu, unless something has changed recently (and I'll admit I haven't checked since I bought the 235), the starting bids on the Harman Ebay auctions are always $1. And you definitely need to know how much those pieces cost elsewhere - I saw a couple auctions for the 235 go over $350; most fell in the $280-300 range; and the $261 I won with was the lowest I saw in a couple weeks of watching/bidding.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 32
also watch ubid.com for denon and marantz and yamaha. and marantz at www.accessories4less.com good prices there too.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1328
Yes Stu, I did know about that but like Ziggy I also felt that the eBay auction prices were significantly better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us