Sherwood RX 4150 shutting down at 2/3 volume

Username: Butch1166

Alpahretta , GA USA

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Sherwood RX 4150 100watts x 2 receiver and 2 KLIPSCH AW 500 outside speakers for my lake property for the dock. The power handling per KLIPSCH states 65 w (260 peak). The volume is a numeric scale of 1-60..when I get past 49, the power to the receiver go to standby ! The volume is nice, but not killer loud for outside, and they are nowhere close to sounding distorted ie: overdriven. Anyone have any idea the issue here. I will say I brought the receiver to my home and hooked up my Klipsch Heresies and have no problem taking them to full power. So is it the reciever or the Klipsch AW 500's. I was just surprise at the possibility that the speakers could some how cause the reciever to shutdown. Confused !!!! PS: not a AV guru, just like my music and generally like it loud....

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 12
Does the receiver mention a recommended nominal impedence for speakers? Perhaps the Klipsch are pulling more current from the receiver than it can handle and setting off a protections circuit in the receiver. For example, the receiver recommends 8 ohm speakers, the Klipsch are 6 or 4 ohm nominal impedence and at low volumes the receiver may be ok, but at higher levels the aplifier in the receiver is being drive too hard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Now that I've done some checking is it the Sherwood 4150 or 4105?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I couldn't find a manul to the 4150/4105, but the 4103 states "For safe amplifier operation, use the speakers with impedence of over 8 ohms when you use only SPEAKER A or B, and use the speakers with impedence over 16 ohms when using both SPEAKER A and B terminals.

Username: Butch1166

Alpahretta , GA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input Chris. It is a Sherwood RX 4105, the specs are 105 watts x 2 in stereo mode; 8 ohms
Frequency response: 40Hz-20kHz
Switching for 2 pair of loudspeakers
Speaker A and B can play simultaneously
The Klipsch specs are FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
95Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB
SENSITIVITY:
92dB @ 1 watt/1 meter
POWER HANDLING:
65 w (260 peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:
8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY:
2600Hz

Anonymous

Unfortunately many receivers sound good but are not very powerful therefore if you need power you need more expensive amp/receiver like audiosource,adcom,nad,harman kardon,marantz,pioneer.I've noticed sherwoods sound smooth when turned up(their "tuned" that way)so that you won't necessarily hear distortion before it runs out of steam.As I said you need more power(NOT wattage numbers though like 100w-200w etc. you need real power.Pioneer is probably the cheapest receivers with alot of power-buy at places like 6ave.com,jandr.com,onecall.com,datavis etc.you can search on froogle or sites like pricegrabber etc for best price but always read the reviews in the ratings on those sites before buying as some are thieves(generally "authorized dealers" are good stores).Pioneer's are I think very powerful.You might consider getting a velodyne or earthquake sub to increase volume more.If you could save up $500-1000 you could get an adcom amp(and use a pioneer 815 as a pre amp)for massive power(hipposaudiovideo apparently will give good prices on adcom).Marantz receivers will have a lot of good sounding power too.Audiosource amps are great sounding and quite powerful(possibly more than pioneer receivers).

Anonymous

although nad has had some problems with their receivers they supposedly have some massive amps for about $500.You should check your speaker cables and perhaps purchase thicker 16 or 14 gauge cable.I like crutchfields cheap sp. cables or knukonceptz sp cable at .30 ft for 16 gauge(although you may need 14 gauge).Get a klein wire stripper and your in business-also get some knukonceptz interconnects(I'm using their second cheapest-don't use their cheapest as the connectors are too tight).Even with the cable upgrades I'm sure the sherwood won't cut it.I expect the pioneer would be noticeably better,but if you want a massive increase in power you will have to dole out cash for nad amp,or upper line adcom,Hk receivers etc.

Anonymous

pioneer 515 which I expect would be at least 3 notches or so louder is only $179 at 6ave.com(they also have velodyne subs).or get the pioneer 815 if you might want to add on an even more powerful amp later.

Anonymous

whoops just noticed your klipsch's are rated at 65 w continuos therefore I would not recommend pioneer or too many others.You want to get a receiver/amp with lots of back up power but that will stay at or below your rated 65w continuos power.For receivers that's harman kardon 135,235 at $280-$330(bestpriceaudiovideo.com etc)or nad 743 etc at $500 or so(nad has had some issues supposedly with their receivers so i wouldn't do that unless you bought locally with 30 day return policy).I think audiosource also has an amp of less than 65w for about $200(although it may be 80w which I would prefer not to use if I were you-stay at or below 65w).Adcom used to have a good 2 ch amp at 60w).Harman kardon 235(preferably if it's 65w or less which I think it is),or even 135 will probably be PLENTY loud and will sound even better than sherwood.

Anonymous

The interesting thing is that some home theater amps only put out 30-40w when driving all 5-7 sp's in home theater mode(such as jvc,panasonic etc.)but that does not work if you only want stereo plus these same receivers then put out a true 100w in 2 ch mode(too much for smaller speakers).None of the cheaper,major brands have real BACKUP power(to handle a real fluctuating music signal).To get the backup power you have to go to the HK,NAD,Marantz etc etc..By the way the marantz 4500 also might work with about 65-70w I think(although the HK 335 is almost $200 cheaper and probably just as good for your purposes(your not trying to build the ULTIMATE best possible home theater).

Anonymous

forgot about several other options.onkyo 503 receiver should be almost as powerfull as hk and possibly just a little smoother sounding(although for louder volume and rocking out I still would say HK 135,235 is better).denon home theater receivers might be good too but might be too smooth sounding depending on your taste(they are very classy,just not as dynamic sounding as HK,onkyo etc. but some people(and speakers) perceive that dynamic quality as "noisy" and some perceive the denon's smooth character as "dull"-if you like your music in between slightly smooth and slightly rough the onkyo sound is kind of in the middle.Basically one should try and use opposites to match your receiver to speakers-so if your speakers are a bit bright get a smoother receiver and if your speakers are dark sounding get a more dynamic or brighter sounding receiver.Denon 295 is a superb sounding 2ch receiver(I have one to sell because I've moved to home theater-tell me here if you want it and I'll give you my info)

Anonymous

The denon 295 is actually probably your best choice if you don't need a home theater receiver and only need 2 channels-it is very powerfull-the only way it wouldn't work is if your speakers are very dark soundingbut I don't think klipschs are-in fact i think they would match very well with the denon 295-the only thing with more back up power than the denon 295 is more expensive seperates like nad etc.While I think denon's home theater receivers are not necessarily world class soundwise,or dynamic enough always the 295 is very dynamic while also being smooth and realistic sounding-it's actually one of the best ever made.My describing HK receivers as slightly harsher than onkyo may be wrong because last time I used a Hk recever was a long time ago and I read in just the past 2 years that they are smoother sounding now.So for you I think denon 295 receiver or HK receiver(if you want home theater) are your best choices.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 620
50 on the volume dial is reference level, above that you're pushing the amp too hard, depending on the source material of course.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2218
This thread has been attacked by Anonymous's. Even worse is they're bloviating.

Anonymous

oops, scratch the onkyo 503, I just heard it today, amazon sent one to my dad a lot faster than expected. It's horrible even worse than the denon which i like mainly because of the "d" in the name, you know anything starting with a "d" is class like deloreans for example.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 38
Kano you mention that 50 on the volume dial is reference level. Do you mean 50% of the dial i.e. 12 o clock or 50 out of 60?

I have read on numerous occasions that 12 o clock is considered to be the setting where an amplifier delivers its maximum rated output. Apparently the same applies to AV receivers that have the volume setting display in dB where 0dB is considered reference level.

Now if all my above asumptions are true, Butch is probably driving his amp too hard, hence the amp protecting itself

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 124
Butch;

I have that Sherwood receiver. I picked it up open box at Circuit City for about 40 dollars and use it in my garage. It is hooked to a speaker selecter/impedance matcher and to 5 sets of speakers outside (a set that looks like terra cotta planters, a set mounted on the wall outsite the back deck, a set of rock looking speakers in the front patio, an old pair of pioneer speakers in the garage, and a set of garden speakers in the path by the garden). At various points in time I have had many combinations of these speakers running and it never has gone into protect/standby. Last Halloween, I had all the speakers running with LOUD creepy music for trick-or-treating and kids party outside, and while the unit was rather hot, it didn't go into standby or protect.

Check your wiring, and make sure the thing is well venthilated. If that doesn't work, exchange it if you can.

Hope that helps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us