Post Number: 1
Recommendations needed/appreciated.

Starting first home theater system.
Have:
PSB Image 5Ts (front) and 9C (center)
Polk TC80i's (in ceiling surround)
Polk RC80i's (in ceiling rear)

Sub: TBD

looking for comments regarding these 3 rec's (and any others in same price range ($400-$500)
Onkyo TX-SR602/702
Denon AVR-2805
Pioneer VSX-9100TX (or VSX-1015TX)

i've had onkyo stereo for last 15 years, always did fine by me.
my brother has been very satisfied with his denon and new pioneer elite

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 11
I have the Pioner VSX-9300TX and am very happy with the way it sounds with my system. I am using Polk Audio R30's in the front and the Pioneer drives them very well. Musically they create enough bass that I don't have to turn on my powered sub.

The 9100 and the 1015 appear to be almost the same, but here are the differences:
1015 has 3 component inputs versus 2 on the 9100
1015 is THX Select 2 certified versus standard THX Select on the 9100
9100 is multi room & source capable while the 1015 is not.

Now while they seem very similiar it also seems that Pioneer boosted the output of the 1015's amplifier section at the expense of clean sound. The 9100 has 110 watts/channel @ 8 ohms with .09% THD while the 1015 generates 120 watts/channel @ 8 ohms with .2% THD.
If that doesn't bother you, they you may have a few more connectivity and processing options with the 1015.

Username: Bigdineg

Post Number: 2
C.Christie
First, thanks for the reply.
as i watched posts made after mine (my first by the way) get multiple responses right away, i started to think maybe i had some strange sort of "on-line halitosis" or some such anomaly. i was actually prepared to do a comparison of features/etc tomorrow, so looks like maybe you saved me the trouble.

thanks again!
r

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 116
Rod - There a lot of reasons why some people don't offer replies to posts such as yours -- online halitosis is not one of them. Sometimes the people who are online will not be comfortably familiar with the gear you're asking about. Sometimes they will be online but will be heavily involved in one of the more lengthy and esoteric threads, i.e., "Do you listen." Sometimes they are just weary of answering questions that have been asked a zillion times before -- particularly the gear comparison questions. Look at the title of your initial post, "Yet another A/V comparison question." You almost sound as weary as they do. :-)

In the future, try doing a search on the forum's search engine. This and other audio fora have a wealth of comments on each of the receivers you are asking about. And welcome to the forum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us