Wisdom of buying new vs factory refurbished

Unregistered guest
I'm Looking to replace 1970's vintage stereo equipment without spending a fortune. I like to buy the receiver first and use my old 4 ohm Braun L-710 speakers until I can afford new ones. I've run across an internet dealer offering factory refurbished NAD T-762 for $749.00. Is this a good idea or high risk? What are the pros and cons? I'm also a bit of a home video novice so any and all help will be greatly appreciated?

Username: Jmusante

Post Number: 7
Bruce,

I just bought one of these refurbished T762 from DCM-Electronics and I could not be happier with it. Works like a charm. Awesome stereo sound and it is fantastic with movies as well. I have none of the wierdness that other people have had with their NADs. Also you are getting a $1300 receiver for $800 (thats with shipping).

As for cons, I guess there are two. One is that you could get a bunk machine, but you have a one year warranty. The second is if you are a home theater novice like me it will take you a while to tweek it to get the sound you want out of it.

Overall I love the T762 and would reccomend it to anyone, especially for the price.

Jason

Username: Bruce_b

Post Number: 1
Jason,

That's the place I was talking about. How long have you had your machine? How long did it take to get from DCM? Have you figured it out yet?

My old Marantz and 4 Braun speakers have done real well for me since 1970. Unfortunately the right channel is failing and repair seems unlikely or too costly, let alone being able to find parts. I haven't paid much attention to audio electronics since then. I still play records. Remember those? I'm a proverbial babe in the woods and at the dealers mercy. It was nice to find this site.

I just recently broke down and bought a DVD/CD player and discovered a whole new experience. Most of the shops here have low end equipment so I'm looking around town for someone with NAD or Marantz to audition. From what I've read on these threads both seem able to handle my old speakers. Trying them out is the next step. Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 432
Bruce:

You have a bit of a dilemma here. The dilemma is that you want something without breaking the bank, but it must be able to drive 4 ohm speakers. Under $1K, I know of no receiver rated to handle 4 ohm speakers, but for the NADs. There are some that claim 4 ohm ability, but they have so many disclaimers that it is obvious bunk. So it may well be that the question is more which NAD rather than whether you should buy an NAD.

I have had very good luck buying refurbished electronics. I have purchased a refurb Denon, which came with only a 90 day warranty, as well as a Canon digital camera and numerous other bits of refurb gear. I have never had a single one go bad on me. When I did a little research on this a year ago, I came across a claim that the return rate for refurb gear is 1/20th that for new gear. This is logical since refurb gear is usually re-tested by techs who fix any outstanding issues. They certainly don't want it coming back again.

I have had several friends buy from DMC and they all have the highest praise for that dealer. I know of no one who has a bad expereince, so I would highly recommend them. Even more, I know that the T762 was a very hot item when it was being sold for $899 just a few months ago--$750 is an incredible price for a receiver that has stunning performance. I remember it was not only named the Receiver of the Year by the The Perfect Vision, they also named it the Product of the Year. It is a superb receiver.

I would suggest you inquire about a phono pre-amp from DMC. Since you are replacing a vintage 70s receiver (those Marantz from the 70s were truly special), there is one major change in the newer A/V receivers you need to be aware of: they do not have phono pre-amps built in (a few do, but it is the exception rather than the rule now). NAD offers a very good one in the PP2, which you should be able to get for ~$100, perhaps a bit less. This is an incredibly small unit (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) that will not get in the way, but will provide excellent performance for the price (I am sure you will find it sounds better than most built in phono pre-amps). Those of us who still have an affinity for LPs must work just a bit harder these days to enjoy our vinyl.

Enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 402
1970s stereo gear, if good, has not been surpassed. So keep your speakers, turntable, etc. What was not around then was digital source; CD (1982), let alone DVD (1997).

But when you get a good DVD player, it will be a good CD player, too, and a 5.1 AV amp will also be a good stereo integrated amp. I think many people downgrade when they get surround sound, unaware that nothing in reproducing sound is really new, or that 2.0 (that is, stereo) is part of 5.1.

If the refurb T762 has a warranty there will be no problem, I should think. Then you need a DVD player (consider incorporating DVD-A; it is certainly progess), a center speaker, and two more speakers, either (a) as surrounds or (ii) as main speakers, using you old speakers as surrounds.

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 58
John A

"But when you get a good DVD player, it will be a good CD player"

I have to disagree with this statement. Look up the review on http://www.homecinemachoice.com

The Denon DVD-2900 (which gets rave reviews from many A/V mags) and it states that the 2900 is not a good cd player and that not many are except maybe an Arcam at twice the price.

Having had a few reasonably good DVD players, when playing CD's none have come close to even my Yamaha cd changer which is not what you'd call a quality source.

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
My Rantz,

Thanks. Couldn't quite trace "the review". I even have a copy of that issue of the magazine.

I can only speak personally from limited experience of an "upgrade" from a 1988 Marantz CD player to a 2002 NAD DVD player. Still, CD was pretty well established by the time I bought the Cd player. And both are sort of low-to-mid range in price, so comparison is reasonable.

It is good you make me think again. This is an important factor in deciding which DVD-A player to get, and I'd sort of forgotten how many CDs I have!

Cheers.

Username: Bruce_b

Post Number: 2
The DCM guy says these receivers were refurbished by upgrading a sofware problem. Anyone know anything about this?
My old Marantz,untill just recently, has soildered on for over 30 years. What kind of reliability and longevity can be expected from modern receivers like this NAD and others?

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 60
John A

The review is in PDF It's under Hardware reviews and search DVD's then Denon. I'm soon in the market as well to replace my Luxman DVD player and it's all a bit of a quandery!

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Bruce,

I think the DCM guy is right; there is lots about this software issue on some threads here, mostly late in 2003*. It was easily fixed, but many people got new replacements, leaving some easily upgraded stock, I guess. I should think such is a refurb is a very good deal, and could well last thirty years. Where the industy will be in 2034 is another question!

* E.g.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5654.html
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5426.html

MyRantz,

Thanks. Will check and report back.

Username: Ottawaian

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
The last post could have been from me. I have been looking to venture into surround sound. I have a 27 year old HK 670 that works well with my equally old Koss 1020 speakers. Today, after weeks of research, I finally chose a refurbished NAD T752. Tonight is set up time, so I'll keep folks posted on my experience. I have been afraid that I will not be able to equal the excellent stereo sound of my HK. Here's hoping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
I think it will be at least as good. But what about the extra channels....? Good luck!

Username: Ottawaian

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
5.1 will be plenty for me, but the unit is expandable. It decodes 7.1, but requires an external, low-powered amp for the two additional channels. I like the additional watts available in the 5.1 configuration and I only have a 14 x 16 room with hardwood floors.

It's all set up, but not yet connected. Tonight ! In setting things up, I found that the NAD is at least as heavy as my older HK670. Bodes well for some good power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
I also think 5.1 is plenty. When I said "what about the extra channels", I was wondering about speakers. Looking forward to your report!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us