Pioneer VSX-814-k

Username: Vantage000

Lexington, KY USA

Post Number: 1
Hello,

Just purchased a Pioneer VSX-814-k. Then i find out it has a FAN inside. Why would they do this?, cheaper than heatsinks i guess,IMOP fans pull in dust and they dont last long, it is a 80mm x 80mm x 25mm, same as a computer fan (i have 10 in my computer), the fan comes on very often, depending on the volume level, not thermal sensitive. Looks like it's going back, Ill get a Yamaha HTR_5840.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 103
Some receivers have fans; some don't. I don't think it's necessarily an indication of overall poor build quality; just one cost-cutting way for the manufacturer to deal with heat build-up. Heat sinks are no doubt more expensive to incorporate into a receiver's design. Some receivers' fans are quiet and unobtrusive; some aren't. Some are situated deeper inside the receiver and are less noisy; some are situated closer to the back panel and are sometimes noisier. Some folks find them annoying; some don't notice them at all. Your receiver is meant for you to enjoy; if a fan bothers you, by all means get one without a fan.

Lexington, KY USA

Post Number: 2
Jimvm
Thanks for the input.

My experience with those type of fans is that they collect dust on the fins, and pull in more dust to the components, also the bearings dont last. I dont want to have to take the cover off of the receiver and clean it out every year or so. Thats what i have to do to my computer to keep it cooler. Look like I will be getting a different receiver. Any suggestions between a Harmon Kardon HKA-AVR-235 or Onkyo SR602? I want to stay under $500.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 105
You're right; over time, they do collect dust.

For some reason, Onkyo is not particularly popular on this forum. My son-in-law has an Onkyo that he's very happy with. My understanding is that they are fairly well built, user friendly and don't generally have a lot of problems. The HK's have a reputation for slightly flimsey cabinets but decent power and internals.

On this forum particularly, many will not offer a recommendation unless they know what speakers you're driving. They believe that there are vast sonic differences in receiver brands and that you can't, for example, have a "bright" receiver driving bright speakers. I'm not a believer. My advice is to spend some time with each receiver and choose based on looks, build quality, ergonomics, features and power -- not necessarily in that order.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 190
Dust collects regardless of the fan. Most amps have a grid like top that draws air and dust. Open up any amp after about six months or so of use (depending on where you live) and dust is collected everywhere.

I do agree though that a fan can be annoying. Where is decent room temperature super conductivity when you need it!

Lexington, KY USA

Post Number: 3
I have Polk 6700 Sat. and a Infinity PS8/Samsung HD850 DVD and a Pansonic 30" HDTV. It sounds great with DVD and movies. I was just going to step up notch in quality on the receiver if i can.
I remember the old days of Yamaha Class A/B receivers/amps putting out 200 watts thru DCM Time Windows, with a Denon Direct drive turntable, vinyl was great.

Stof your right, dust is dust.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us