7.1 channel receiver for music ONLY

Zeno
Unregistered guest
My old home theater system blew up one day. Now im looking for a new 7.1 channel receiver, just for music. No TV. My money range is anything
500$ or under. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1301
Harman Audio on eBay, for $500 you should be able to get an HK430/435 or better, with full original HK warranty.

Anonymous

Marantz 5500 for $480-$500 at authorizedelectronics or hipposaudiovideo(authorized dealers).I have no doubt this is the best 7ch receiver musically speaking(read the reviews).The only other one I would consider is pioneer vsx-1015 at around $375 from etronics, bhphotovideo,datavis.The pioneer is probably a little more agressive sounding than the marantz which is a plus or minus depending on your opinion and your matching speakers and equipment,but the pioneer undoubtedly does not have as much depth or realism as the marantz.

Anonymous

^if you are truly not going to be using the built in processor you almost certainly want to go with the marantz for better sound.If you are going to be using the internal decoder and features you can consider the pioneer and also the elite pioneers($500+)but going by my experience and the reviews I would say the marantz is probably much better in musical hifi terms.

Zeno
Unregistered guest
I will go check out the Marantz 5500. So far seems amazing from reading the reviews. But you gotta hear it before you buy it. Jimvm thanks for the advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 27
check out ubid they sell marantz and denon there for good prices. some got the 8400 marantz for 450.00. i got a denon 3805 for 651.00. denon and marantz are the same company. also electronics expo has a good deal on pioneer 9100. i think it is 391.00. i have bought from them in the past good company.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3408
I believe there are no music recordings with more than six channels: 5.1 is enough. Especially if you have that price limit. You will most likely get better sound from better amplification of fewer channels. Zeno would have agreed, I think. If you pay for each hop of the frog, there comes a point when you are throwing money away.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2153
Yes a Marantz 8400 would be better than a 5500, although the 5500 is no slouch, the better power supplies, anti-vibration and isolation features, build quality of the former go towards making it a more musical component as well as handling difficult speaker loads better. Of course your budget will influence your final decision. John A is correct that for music 5.1 channels are enough, especially for the hi-res formats, though some like the extra 2 matrix channels for other surround formats.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 193
"denon and marantz are the same company."

Rik are you sure about that? They are both owned by the same holding company, but that would be like saying Saab and chevy are the same company because they are both owned by GM.

I like them both and would have either one, but I think they do have their own distinctive sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 29
saabs are going to be built at the gm plant in germany now. not in sweden so i would say it is a gm now for sure. and some saabs are rebadged chevys and sabarus. so more gm influence. and i would say that will be true with marantz and denon. while they may be a little difference they will begin sharing technology. That is the only way to cut costs. besides if you own more than 50.00001% you own it. saab 9/7 is a chevy trail blazer with a different drille and interior.

zeno
Unregistered guest
Are there any Pioneer models you would reccomend. Remember its got to be 7.1 channels. What about Onkyo receivers? Any yamaha receivers?
I was thinking the Onkyo TX-SR800. Would Harmon Kardon be a good choice? Seems to come a bit short on wattage. What do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 543
The Pioneer 1014tx is quite decent at this price point.

Harman Kardon under rates their equipment, while others tend to over rate. I own the Harman Kardon AVR430 and trust me, at 65 watts per channel it has more than enough power and in fact more than many receivers quoting over 100 watts per channel. The Onkyo will run out of power long before any of the HK models 335 and up.

zeno
Unregistered guest
Between a Pioneer 1015 and a yamaha 5890, which one would you say best suits my situation? And im definately not taking my mind of the Marantz models.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 544
Just for music?

The Pioneer between the two.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 283
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would you need a surround receiver for music only? Esp. 7.1, when music is at 5.1 max?

For music only, you're far better off with an integrated amp or stereo receiver for sound quality. Sorry if I missed something here.

Anonymous

Stu.. the only thing you've missed is that Zeno is a moron.

AVG
Unregistered guest
Stu,

DVD-A and SACD may be at 5.1 max (now).
However, some receivers have a 7-channel stereo mode available when they sense 7 speakers are connected.
Maybe he wants to listen in 7 channel stereo mode (as opposed to some surround more).

I could be wrong though.

zeno
Unregistered guest
Sorry for being a moron, but I have been specifically searching for a 7.1 channel receiver. Is there a big sound difference between 7.1 and 5.1. Please explain and if there is would you mind listing a few receivers?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3443
Zeno,

You are not being a moron.

"Is there a big sound difference between 7.1 and 5.1."

In my opinion "No". Especially not for music. Even if 8-channel recordings were available, which they aren't, they could not do much beyond 4.0 surround. 5.1 is already overkill imho.

If you really want 5.1 and already have the speakers and a DVD player, for music, then an NAD T743 might be worth considering - or the equivalent model from another maker, maybe Marantz, Denon, HK. 7.1 is just a crazy waste at that price point, imho.

zeno
Unregistered guest
So my best choice so far would be a marantz 5500. Thanks for clarifying John A. Ill take a look at the Nad, but i think ill stick with 7.1 channels. Please list any other receivers worth considering.

zeno
Unregistered guest
Maybe it would be good if i listed my speakers. First of all I have a JBL E30 for center speaker. Im thinking of getting Northridge Jbl floorstanding speakers for timber matching, and the rest is still to decide. As you can see im not very far. Please tell me if i should make any changes.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2168
Zeno

Most of the latest model A/V receivers are 7.1 capable. The SR-5500 is a good choice and will go well with JBL's. I have an SR-7300 (6.1) and until recently it was driving JBL XTI-60's. With any of the 7.1 receivers, try a 5.1 set-up first - it may be all you want. And cheaper!

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 290
Zeno - I don't think you're a moron, nor was I trying to get someone else going in that direction. Sorry for starting that.

A lot of people believe that dollar for dollar, 2 channel sounds much better for music than surround. For $500, you are going to get a solid 2 channels of amplification, rather than 7 mediocre ones. On top of that, using round numbers, lets say you were to spend $1000 for speakers. What would sound better, 8 speakers that combined for $1000, or a $1000 pair of speakers? For $1000 you could get an almost mediocre set of surround speakers (speakers and sub), or you could get a pair of great floorstanders.

Sorry if this isn't the way you want to go. I'm just trying to get you the best sound quality for your money. If you really need 7.1 for reasons that you haven't stated, I'm sorry.

zeno
Unregistered guest
No, Stu Pitt i think your right, I dont know why i was starting this whole 7.1 channels thing anyway. Thought more speakers would be better sound. So, I kind of am a moron. If you really reccomend 5.1 channels instead of 7.1, what would you be offering? I looked at a few 5.1 receivers, but they all seem to give a pretty low wpc and im not sure if that would be enough to drive my speakers. On the other hand, if i had the Marantz 5500, wouldn't it more wpc, since im using only 5 out of 7. Maybe im wrong again. And as ive said before is Harmon Kardon Avr enough wattage?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3461
Again, zeno, NAD does a good job with music, I think most people agree. And certainly their receivers spread the power so you get more per channel in two channel mode. If I recall, my T760 was 5 x 60 W and 2 x 80 W. That is plenty. Take a look at the T743. Remember their power ratings are conservative. There is also the NAD link www.nad.co.uk/power Some other makers give honest power ratings, too. It you prefer Marantz or H/K it is probably much the same thing. The "Stereo direct" feature on the newer NAD models would be something I would consider, too.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 302
If you're going the surround route, I would suggest, in no particular order -
NAD (may be out of your price range)
Harman/Kardon
Marantz

For NAD - http://www.northamptonaudio.com/nad/nadspec.htm
I have no experience with them, but they are authorized by NAD. Their stock changes frequently, so you may want to call them and ask if they getting something you're interested in and when.

For Marantz - http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/closeout1.htm
A very reputable family business near my home town. Authorized dealers.

For H/K - http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&brand=HK
Factory refurbished by H/K, includes a full "as new" warantee.
H/K also has an E-Bay store. Check between both to see what you're best deal is.

Unless you have a huge room and like to listen to music at insane levels, power with these companies shouldn't be an issue. They have more power and are cleaner sounding than any mass market Best Buy Circuit City stuff rated at 2x or 3x the power.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 75
if you're going with H/K, also check out:
http://www.onecall.com

Their prices for several NEW H/Ks are lower than the price of the refurbs on Harman's website. But your best deals on H/K are likely to come from the Ebay store auctions.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 820
NAD all the way !!!
I would second stu with the 2 channel for music.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3467
Especially at $500 max. Looks like we all agree...!

IF Zeno already has the speakers and player, and really wants 5.1, then the stereo performance of the receiver should still the first consideration, in my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1648
If I were buying a receiver for 'only' music, it would be two channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us