Blown Speakers

Username: Sweet_william

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

I blew up some speakers. 2 Peavey 18" 8ohm speakers and 2 Peavey 15" 8ohm speakers. A roadie friend taght me a trick long ago to use a 9 volt battery and touch the positive to tip or negative of the 1/4 inch cable going into the speaker and the negative to the other. I get nothing from any of these speakers.
<p>
So now I'm trying to figure out, do I need to replace the whole speaker, or does buying a replacement basket take care of it? If anyone knows for sure, could you email me at sweet_william@hotmail.com thanks!!!

Random Misc.
Unregistered guest
how in the world did you blow those speakers? Were you pumping in, like 3000+ watts into them?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 253
Those drivers have very large cones. They may be too heavy for the 9 volt battery to move them. If you havent done so already, hook them up to a home stereo or amp, or whatever just to see if they are trully blown.

Look at the tisel wire leads that link between the speaker terminals and th evoice coil. If they are broken then you may not get a signal what-so-ever.

To replace those speakers go their webbsite and see if they can sell you replacement speakers or even a reconing kit.

the follwing sites offer DIY and replacement speakers.

www.madisound.com

www.partsexpress.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us