Hooking up VCR IN Audio and trying to get VCR OUT AUDIO out of Receiver

Steve Edwards
Unregistered guest
I am not sure I completely understand the nature of the VCR IN/OUT on the back of my Yamaha HTR-5490. I have fed the VCR IN the RCA's and I do have audio coming out of the receiver. However, upon hooking RCA's up to the direct pair match of VCR OUT on the receiver, there is no audio coming from them. Do the VCR OUT audio serve no purpose? Or is something else wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 930
VCR Out is for recording onto VCR.

patnshan
Unregistered guest
Like Dale says. The VCR in on the receiver is for the video and audio to go into the receiver. The video out on the receiver is to go to the TV if you want the receiver to switch it for you, rather than running the video directly to the TV.
If you want sound coming out of the receiver from the VCR, you need to attach audio cables from the audio out on the VCR to the audio in VCR jacks on the receiver.
Be aware though that some (most?) VCR's only have 1 audio out, making you have to choose between receiver audio or TV audio.

Pat

Steve Edwards
Unregistered guest
I appreciate the responses... however I discovered the issue.

I believed that the audio out on the VCR 1 was a passive passthrough for VCR 1. However... that is not the case.

The way that the receiver works is that the VCR1 or VCR2 audio outs (on the receiver) output audio from other iput sources (ie DVD, CD, PHONO) as long as you do not have the input source selected as VCR1 or VCR2.

I was trying to get the VCR 1 IN and the VCR 1 OUT to work at the same time. SO, I had the input source selected as VCR 1 on the reciever but the receiver will not output VCR 1 IN on the VCR 1 OUT. However, it will output VCR 1 IN on the VCR 2 OUT. So basically the selected source will output to VCR 1 OUT and VCR 2 OUT as long as you do not have the input source selected as VCR 1 or VCR 2 selectively.

So, all is well now!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us