NAD 763 vs HK 7200

Username: Audiorookie

Post Number: 1
True audio rookie looking to create a HT system for 50/50 use in music/movies. Budget for reciever approx $1000. Listened to the NAD 773 and 753, no 763 in stock.Clearly preferred 773 but is the 763 closer in sound to that or the 753. The balance of the NAD is amazing. No one in Chicago carries HK 7200, but how would it compare to the 763? By the way this site is an excellent source of info for an OCD person like myself.

Bronze Member
Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 39
I originaly went with the 773 based on a demo of the 763 since my dealer didn't have a 773 in stock either. Sounded the same to me.

I have no experience with the 7200 except that it was a lot more money when it first came out and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Lot's of power. More than what's stated, if I remember correctly. I almost went with the 7200 but I would have been forced to get it over the internet, plus I thought it was darn ugly.

You'll have to clue me in...what the heck does OCD stand for?

Post Number: 3
OCD is Obsessive compulsive disorder-exemplified by the fact that I think I've come to the end of the internet in terms of looking at sites related to NAD and HK

Bronze Member
Username: Airforceone

Post Number: 43
I hear that. I spend more time reading about home theater than listening to it. Thanks for letting me know what that stood for. Was bugging the heck out of me.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 18
Audiorookie: How true it is. I had an obsessive father and a compulsive mother. While I am not OCD, I obsessed over the receiver issues and after all the research and mind #$@#ing, I made a compulsive decision. Now excuse me, I have to go wash my hands 50 times in a row.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 188
Audiorookie,

Both are excellent receivers. Both have loads of power and have a wonderful sound. However, a few more questions might help narrow this down for you. First of all, are you starting from scratch, or do you already have speakers? Receiver/speaker matching is probably the most important thing to take into account when choosing a HT system. A well matched system can provide years of enjoyment while a badly matched system will often become tiring very quickly.

Of the two you mentioned, the HK is a very warm sounding receiver, and should thus be paired wiht a brighter sounding speaker such as Monitor Audio or Klipsh. The NAD is a more neutral sounding receiver, and in my opinion, sounds best when placed with a warmer speaker such as Paradigm or PSB. Conversely, if you pair the HK with PSB, the warmness of both will multiply and the result will likely sound muffled or muddy. Obviously, there are many other speaker brands that would fit with either receiver, so it is important that you tell us what speakers you have or want to get. Then we will be better able to give you specific recommendations.

Post Number: 4
Johnny,
I listened to the NAD 773 matched with
Monitor Audio s6 and it sounded perfect.The room I will be using the system in has wood floors and high cielings so I figure a neutral combination is a must.Are there other speakers you would recommend.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 192
Audiorookie,

If that sounded good to your ears, then I would say go for it. Monitor speakers are excellent speakers...they are just a little on the bright side. Without reading your comment, I would probably have recommended the HK with Monitor (because HK is warmer than NAD), but if it sounds good to you...that is all that really matters in the end.

Other speakers that I like with NAD are Paradigm and PSB. These two brands are on the warm side...so the combo would be a bit more mellow than the NAD/Monitor combo you heard. Neither combo is necessarily "better"...it just depends on your personal preferences.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. I would be very interested to hear more about your impressions of the NAD/Monitor combo as it is a combo I have never heard together.

a4kenny
Unregistered guest
Audiorookie,

Just picked up an HK 7200 for $777 at Fry's Electronics - not sure if there's one in Chicago (moved out 8yrs ago). J&R music sells it for $799 plus free shipping which is good because it weighs 63lbs! - you can trust these guys since it's a major E-store in NYC. The HK7300 will come out sometime this month for sugg. ret. around $3,000.

Just had time to play Lord of the Rings II (DD 6.1) matched with my Boston DSI 480 inwalls and it's just great. Lot's of detail in the mid range and killer bass - that's what HK is known for. If you prefer Hometheater more then this would be the best thing. Haven't heard NAD and only can compare it to my low end Pioneer Elite. It's true that the receiver won't win any beauty contests but it will sit very nicely in my audio rack closet pounding out some serious sound effects.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 323
Either receiver is very good. But regardless which receiver you get I would recommend getting a large rug and either drapes or other wall hangings to help dampen what sounds like a very lively room. After speakers, a rooms acoustic character is the second most important aspect in listening to music or HT. A lot of very hard surfaces are a major enemy of good sound.

Anonymous

To add on to this thread, I have the NAD T753 with the PSB 5T's. Of course I'm thinking ahead. What would an amp do to this combo? Would a power amp alter the sound of the NAD? If so, what amps, aside from NAD, would help maintain the exisiting sound of the T753? Thoughts?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us