$2,500 Budget for new home theater speakers

Anonymous

Hello, I'm putting in a new home theater system and I'm fairly new to this so I though I would get the opinion of people who actually know what they are doing. I'm looking for something that actually sounds like I'm at the movies. I currently have a home theater with Energy speakers (Encore 8). They are great speakers but they don't have the power I'm looking for. Right now I'm leaning towards the Klipsch Synergy Series. The front floor standing speakers are maximum 600w each (model F-3), while the center speaker is 400w (model C-2). The surround speakers are 400w each (model S-2) and the subwoofer has a 650w maximum (12in sub). I'm thinking about powering these speakers with a THX certified Yamaha HTR-5890 980w receiver. Bestbuy has this audio package for $2,439.93. If anyone has suggestions for an audio system, I would be very appreciative. I would like to keep the price for the audio system at $2,500 or less.

Thanks in advanced!

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 19
no dont get that, I use to work for best buy and the klipsch speakers with the yammie receiver is too bright a set up. Keep in mind that price is just the package, not all the wires. The wires will run you another $300 if you're lucky.

Best bang for buck is my opinion is an Athena AS-f1 or AS-f2 with AS-c1 and two AS-r1's with a HK or Marantz receiver, you could even go with a Denon and that would match up nicely. I have the 5790 which is the older yammie than what they currently offer. You can get a better receiver that will match up with these speakers for $600 or so. The cables is what will get you.

All in all the Athena package should run around $1200 including a sub and receiver if you go to best buy. If you just buy the speakers then youre looking around $800. HK receiver will run another $500-700 and then a good sub will run $300-500. Before cables this set up looks around $2000 and then the cables will run another $300-500 which is right in there with ur budget.

Thats the setup i have except for the marantz receiver.

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback! As I already said, I'm fairly new to the Home Theater area so this information helped a lot! Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 219
Buy your receiver first and plan to spend about 25%-30% of your budget on it. Then spend about 40%-45% on your fronts and surrounds, if you're looking at 5.1. That leaves about 20%-25% for your subwoofer and the remainder for cables. There are a ton of options in this price range.

Here's a link to Audioholics that has a couple of HT speaker comparisons. Take a look at these and then just listen to the various folks that weigh in. I was where you are now about 6 weeks ago and now I'm moving towards incredible sound.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/index.php

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 647
For a really cinematic experience also consider the M&K K-series or Xenon surround speakers. The higher end M&Ks are used in many mastering studios when mastering the sound for their movies. Listening to an M&K system is a little like listening to what the mastering engineers listened to. Also, apart from the entry level sub, all M&K subs go down to 20Hz flat. This is uncommon in most systems. Therefore when you hear an M&K system you're likely to have to adjust a bit, since it has wider bandwidth and more depth than most systems you've heard.

M&K's satellites are typically 4-ohm loads so you need to be a little careful how to match them to receivers. For example, the Denons can struggle, but the NADs and Arcams have no problems driving them. Worth a look.

Also consider carefully what your source is going to be. All DVD players sound different and have different capabilities in video. The Denons are strong players in this arena, particularly if you can use their DVI output.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 757
I like your energy speaker better than Klipsch - I agree with Eric that Klipsch can be too bright sounding - especially for music.

Is this just for movie, and not music?
Cuz if it's just for movie, your present system might be enough - got really good reviews from the pros on hifi magazines. What receiver are you using to power these?

You might want more for music, but for movies, this is pretty good !

If I were you, I would keep this setup, and get a dedicated 2-channel setup for music - I can understand how you would want a bigger speakers for it.

I might not be understanding you correctly...

Anonymous

I'm adding a second home theater to my house (I have one for the upstairs so I'm adding one for the lower level). I bought theses energy speakers 5 or 6 years ago. Right now they are being powered by a Yamaha receiver RX-V596 (keep in mind this was a few years ago). The energy speakers are great but they are just too small to give any "real theater" sound. I've also had problems with the subwoofer. When there are intense parts on a movie, the subwoofer tends to make a "popping" sound at medium to high volumes. This "popping" sound gets extremely annoying. I'm going to be using this new home theater 90% for movies and 10% for music. I have a fairly large room in which this home theater will be in, but I only want to use part of this room for the home theater. The total size of the room is 45ft x 25ft. The actual home theater part is 18ft x 25ft. The other part is for billiards, ping pong, and darts. So at the end, I want a speaker system which doesn't sound "small" and have it close to what real cinemas sound like. I would also like to be confident at playing movies at a medium to high volume without the "popping" noise.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 653
That's a good point. The M&Ks are tiny satellites but since their subs are so good, you never (OK rarely) get the impression you're listening to a small speaker. They are very convincing - and you're on the right side of the pond to get them for sensible money! (They're more expensive here in the UK.)

18x25ft is a pretty big area, so I would not go for the entry level sub, but the 850 or better would be enough to give you some very good results.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Eyeswideopen

Post Number: 1
FIRST OF ALL; WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING THE ENCORE SYSTEM WITH? HOW BIG IS YOUR ROOM AND HOW LOUD DO YOU WANT TO GO? I AM 60 YRS. OLD AND HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT CREATE SOUND SYSTEMS MY ENTIRE LIFE. THESE GENERIC OPINIONS YOU'RE GETTING ARE ABOUT AS SMART AS GOING TO BEST BUY FOR A $2500 UNIT. THAT'S NOT PEANUTS AND YOU SHOULD GET YOUR BUTT KISSED BY A PROFESSIONAL FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY. I PROBABLY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS FOR YOU THEN YOU DO FOR ME IF YOU'RE SEEKING THE HOLY GRAIL OF SURROUND SOUND. I HAPPEN TO HAVE THE ENERGY ENCORE SYSTEM AND CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT MORE YOU NEED OR YOUR ELECTRONICS ARE INFERIOR TO YOUR SPEAKERS.THE SINGLE BIGGEST FACTOR IN THEATER SURROUND IS YOUR ROOM. WHAT KIND OF MONEY HAVE YOU PUT INTO THAT? NONE I SUPPOSE, IF YOU'RE LIKE 99% OF THE PEOPLE I WORK FOR.YOU CAN PUT A $100,000 SET UP IN YOUR ROOM AND IT WILL SOUND LIKE CRAP IF THE ROOM IS NOT RIGHT. PERIOD. I AM NOT GOING TO EVEN GET INTO ALL THE THINGS YOU NEED TO DO UNLESS YOU'RE INTERESTED IN ME HELPING YOU AND I DON'T THINK IT WILL TAKE $2500 UNLESS YOU WANT IT TOO. WRITE ME BACK IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED IN SOME PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED AND IT WILL COST YOU NOTHING. THERE IS A LOT TO TALK ABOUT SO WRITE BACK AND I'LL GET YOU AS CLOSE TO THE HOLY GRAIL AS POSSIBLE WITH 35 YRS. OF EXPERIENCE. I THINK IT MAY BE FUN TO SEE HOW WE DO WITHOUT ME COMING THERE IN PERSON.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 608
Well Alfonso, its good to see at 60yrs old you have no sense. Your first post is a judgement on the advice of people in this forum who have been helping people alot longer than your one post. Before you think that energy speakers with ?? electronics is the bee all end all I challenge you to take a gander at this forum to see what other people suggest and let the guy go and HEAR these different setups. I do not doubt your experience, I just doubt your logic on $2500 is the amount that people grovel to. You can spend more than that at Best Buy for god sake.

Anonymous

Alfonso, how much is energy paying you to go around convincing people that energy speakers are the best in the world. Just your appearance of writing in all CAPS makes it look like your begging for attention. Like Joseph, I don't doubt your experience. It's just that after 35 years of experience I would have hoped that you would have figured out a better way to get attention. If energy speakers are truly the best, then you wouldn't need to get attention like this, but this is just all my opinion. I'm not saying my energy speakers are bad. They are excellent speakers but they just don't give the sound of being true cinema speakers. They are fairly small speakers and therefore they sound "small". My amp in which I'm driving these with is plenty powerful enough to receive the full potential out of these speakers. This new home theater I'm going to put in my house is around 18ft x 23ft. It's going to be part of a room which is 45ft x 23ft. The other part of this room I'm currently using for billiards, ping pong, darts, and so on.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 660
Alfonso,

Beware that writing in capitals is considered to be shouting in the internet fraternity. I hope you simply had the caps lock on by mistake.

Anonymous. Don't write off small speakers. In theory the best possible speaker is a vanishingly small point source of no mass. Small speakers do not suffer many of the problems of their larger brethren, such as cabinet colouration and cone deformation. Provided the speaker has decent power handling and dispersion, and the bandwidth is covered by the the speaker system as a whole (e.g. sub/sat), then theoretically you can achieve better results with a small speaker than a large one. In practice it comes down to the quality of the satellites.

regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 766
Check this out - they got good reviews :

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 65
Anon... since you like your Energy speakers, have you considered moving up to the Connoisseur line? My setup (click my name to the left) was about $1900, but you could probably do better than I did on the sub with Hsu or SVS; and you could save a few bucks by using C-3s in both the front and rear. But even at $1900, that would still give you some money for a decent Denon, Marantz or HK receiver to power them, or you could consider adding an external power-amp to your existing receiver (if it has pre-outs). As some of the other threads on this page have shown, there are a lot of good options for both bookshelf and floorstanding speakers at reasonable prices. But if you like the Encore speakers, I think you would love the Connoisseur series.

Username: Eyeswideopen

Post Number: 2
I CAN'T BELIEVE THE EMAILS I GOT FROM SOME OF YOU. FIRST OF ALL, ANON. I WRITE IN CAPS BECAUSE I HAVE ONE ARM COOL GUY. MAYBE YOU WOULD PREFER I HIT THE SHIFT KEY WITH MY NOSE, BUT I FIND THIS A LOT EASIER. HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE YOUR MASTERS IN ACOUSTICS? THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. AND OF ALL THE PEOPLE TO GET FLACK FROM, THE PERSON WHO ASKED FOR OPINIONS. IF YOU EVER THINK YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE HALF A ROOM WITH THE OTHER HALF FOR BILLIARDS AND WHATNOT AND THINK YOUR GOING TO CREATE SOME ASTRONOMICAL CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE THEN THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY, I DON'T CARE. I WAS JUST TRYING TO OFFER AN HONEST OPINION ON WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK CONCERT HALLS ARE JUST SLAPPED TOGETHER WITHOUT BEING ACOUSTICALLY DIALED IN FIRST? THE BEST HALLS HAVE MOVABLE WALLS AND CEILINGS SO THE ROOM CAN BE ADAPTED TO THE PARTICULAR KIND OF MUSIC BEING PLAYED THAT NIGHT.DO YOU THINK THE ROLLING STONES WOULD HAVE THE SAME ACOUSTICAL SETTINGS AS A STRING QUARTET? AS FOR GETTING PAYED BY ENERGY FOR PROMOTING THEIR SPEAKERS; I JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE OF MY ROOMS WITH THE ENCORE SERIES IN IT AND RUN AN M+K SUB AND IT SOUNDS GOOD. IT'S NOT AUDIO NIRVANA, BUT IT'S A NICE LITTLE SET UP FOR WHAT I'VE GOT IN IT. MY MAIN ROOM IS FOR THEATER. I HAVE A 16' SCREEN, FOUR RECLINERS AND I USED A LEDE ROOM SET UP.[ LIVE END, DEAD END] IT CONSISTS OF 1/3 OF THE FRONT OF THE ROOM [ FLOORS, WALLS AND CEILING TO BE ACOUSTICALLY INERT. THE SOUND HAS TO STOP SOMEWHERE OR THE LOUDER YOU PLAY YOUR DVD'S THE SOUND WILL JUST BOUNCE OFF OF EVERY WALL UNTIL IT DISAPATES AND YOU'LL HAVE SOUND WAVES BOUNCING AROUND WHERE EVER AND HOW LONG THEY FEEL LIKE IT. I RUN VMPS SPEAKERS WITH 2 VELODYNE SUBS AND CLASSE' AUDIO COMPONENTS WITH PROCESSORS AND SOUNDCRAFTMAN EQ. ANALYZERS. IT IS ONLY A 5.1 SYSTEM AND ALTHOUGH PROBABLY NOT COOL ENOUGH FOR ALL YOU EXPERTS, IT PLEASES ME. SO I APPOLIGIZE FOR ONLY HAVING ONE ARM CAUSE IT BREAKS YOUR RULES AND I APOLIGIZE FOR TRYING TO TEACH A PIG TO SING. MY FATHER ALWAYS TOLD ME. NEVER TRY TO TEACH A PIG TO SING, IT ANNOYS THE PIG AND IT'S A WASTE OF YOUR TIME. EITHER WAY YOU LOSE.

Anonymous

I ALSO HAVE A MASTERS IN ACOUSTICS, BUT I HAVE A PHD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK YOU SUCK MR REYES. NOW GO AWAY.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 233
Alfonso,

Some of the posts here, usually by anonymous, are somewhat tongue in cheek and should be ignored. Nobody is questioning your credentials, your knowledge or anything else. BUT, as the site says, this is a "forum" and so opinions abound. Some good, some bad and that's part of the fun. So, relax, sit back and enjoy and tell your pig, "do re mi . . . "

Anonymous

Just to clear things up, there are two "Anonymous" in this room now. Like I already said I have only little home theater knowledge and I appreciate all the help everyone is giving me. As for Alfonzo, I apologize. I thought you were writing in all CAPS just to make your statement stand out. Thanks Again Everyone!!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 628
The one arm thing, though that really sucks for you, does not make a lick of sense. Don't worry about capitalizing first letters of sentences or names just type buddy , without shouting. We all know your story now so we will not judge you for grammar. I will say that it seems like you had something to prove listing out all your equipment just to labor on the point of your knowledge.

"little pig little pig let me in.....not by the hair on my chinny chin chin"

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 636
you guys gotta read what Alfonso PM'd me...I HAVE ENOUGH SENSE TO KNOW A BIG MOUTH NO NOTHING THAT FOUND IT NECCESSARY TO MAKE 625 POSTS SINCE MARCH. AND YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE OF 12 YRS. IS ASTOUNDING. MY GOD, COULD YOU PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH ME? WHERE DID I SAY THE ENERGY SPEAKERS WERE THE ULTIMATE. I FORGOT MORE THIS WEEK THEN YOU'LL KNOW IN YOUR ABOUT ELECTRONICS. 625 POSTS IN A FEW MONTHS? GOD, GET A LIFE! ARE YOU THAT DESPARATE TO BE HEARD? DIDN'T YOUR MOMMY LISTEN TO YOU WHEN YOU WERE A KID? WERE? WHAT AM I SAYING? STILL ARE.HOW DO YOU EVEN FIND TIME TO LISTEN TO MUSIC IF YOUR ON HERE ALL THE TIME? LET ALONE GO AROUND AND LISTEN TO THE THINGS YOU'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD. JUST MENTIONING THE NAME BEST BUY TELLS ME WHERE YOUR AT.GO LISTEN TO YOUR NAME BRAND JUNK AND STOP TRYING TO BELITTLE A TRUE AUDIOPHILE WITH MOUNDS OF AWARDS AND VAST EXPERIENCE.

Tell me if any of that makes any sense to any of you??

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1170
Yikes!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 639
WHERE DID I SAY THE ENERGY SPEAKERS WERE THE ULTIMATE

well I believe it was insinuated here

I HAPPEN TO HAVE THE ENERGY ENCORE SYSTEM AND CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT MORE YOU NEED

this next one has me really scratching my head:

HOW DO YOU EVEN FIND TIME TO LISTEN TO MUSIC IF YOUR ON HERE ALL THE TIME?

umm....I have one of those stereo's that you can listen to while typing on the PC. Newfangled and positively HI-tech.

JUST MENTIONING THE NAME BEST BUY TELLS ME WHERE YOUR AT.GO LISTEN TO YOUR NAME BRAND JUNK

this one I think refers to the post about some fella wanting $150 dollars speakers which I refered him to listening to some JBL's at best buy and maybe buying them at www.onecall.com
Sorry he did say $150 and to me there isn't much above the quality you would find at BB for that amount of money.

as for your last comment:

GO LISTEN TO YOUR NAME BRAND JUNK AND STOP TRYING TO BELITTLE A TRUE AUDIOPHILE WITH MOUNDS OF AWARDS AND VAST EXPERIENCE.

Isn't Energy name brand?? and wow if I had known how many awards and plaques you have gotten over the past, what was it 62 years, I would have never disagreed with you and we all should be so lucky that you can give us some of your precious time and knowledge.

Username: Eyeswideshut

Abubala , Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2
ASCEND ACOUSTICS SPEAKERS WITH A NAD CD PLAYER AND SEPERATES ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALFONSO, I APOLOGIZE FOR THESE CLOWNS. THEY DON'T APPRECIATE PEOPLE LIKE US WHO ARE OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR TO THEM IN EVERY WAY. I AM ONE-ARMED TOO, SO I HAVE SOME SYMPATHY FOR YOU.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1288
ahem!!!

NOTE: my imposter is listed as Bronze Member with a different Username and also different Post number and Registered date.

clever little bugger, whoever he/she/it is...

Anonymous

Which speakers are better Ascend vs Athena?

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 663
Alfonso,

Typing in CAPS is internet etiquette meaning you're shouting. It is not a convention restricted to this forum, but a commonly accepted convention throughout the internet. Although your personal circumstances are unfortunate, they do not give you the right to yell at everyone.

There are plenty of computer aids which can help you type correctly. Given your two HT setups, it appears you're not exactly short of cash and could invest in those. After all, surely you want to be able to get to all those other symbols that require the shift key?

Otherwise simply type in lower case, as many do.

Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 685
Actually, Alfonso makes some good points (albeit, in a rather condescending way). A speakers interaction with your room (presuming you have adequate electronics) is far and away the most important and most audible factor in home theatre sound. One can switch in a million different cables and wires and never hear a difference and switch in a bunch of different receivers or separates with the predominant difference being in clipping performance, but only very subtle differences (if any)in sonic character.

A room with poor acoustics and one with bad speaker to room coupling is bound to sound badly--even with $100,000 of equipment and speakers in it. The only cure for situations such as that is a combination of room treatments (rugs, curtains, etc) and electronic circuitry to equalize bumps and depressions in the overall frequency presentation.

For sonic excellence I will take good Energy or Ascend speakers in a great room over the most expensive B&W speakers or Wilson Watt Puppies in a poor acoustic room anyday.

Of course, it isn't too sexy to talk about acoustics and room interactions. Electronics and speakers are much more fun to talk about.

Obviously, one needs the appropriate speakers and electronics for the room. Small Ascend speakers in a 20 foot x 30 foot room with 14 foot ceilings won't cut it for anyone that wants to listen to music above a low level. But they can be great (with an appropriate subwoofer) in a 12 foot by 14 foot room with 8-10 foot ceilings.

Anonymous

Hey guys, I went and listened to speakers today. First I listened to the Klipsch speakers and I loved them. Then the guy who was helping me out suggested that I listen to the Definitive Technology speakers. So I agreed and we compared the Definitive speakers to Klipsch. He first played a song using Klipsch speakers. I was of course pleased with the results. Then he switched over and played the same exact song using the same amp at the same volume. I was just plainly astounded by the sound that came out the Definitive Technology Speakers!!! The Klipsch can't even come close the sound quality that the Definitive reproduced. It was amazing! The Klipsch speakers were about $500 each. The Definitive speakers were about $1,100 each. That price difference made a HUGE difference in sound quality. I compared the Definitive speakers to some other speakers but nothing even came remotely close to how they sound. What does everyone else think about Definitive??? I am definitely considering getting theses speakers for my new home theater. By the way the model number is BP7002. They claim to have an outstanding frequency range (15Hz -- 30 kHz). I don't doubt those statistics at all because of the number speakers they have inside of each tower. If you're wondering, each tower contains four 5-1/4" midrange drives. Two 1" aluminum tweeters with silk surrounds. And one 12" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 12" radiators. These speakers are huge weighing in at 84lbs each! Thanks for any feedback.

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 70
I have a pair of the BP7002s for my basement theater. And you are right, they are great... but they're also picky. Since they are a bipolar design, room placement is tricky - remember there are drivers firing out of both the front and back at the same time. You'll need to have the space to give them the room that they need.

The other part of the equation is power. Since the DefTechs have built-in powered subs, each speaker needs to be plugged in. Then there's the other kind of power - while the DefTechs are pretty efficient (92db) and can be driven by just about any decent amp, they absolutely LOVE good clean power.

As far as opinions on the DefTechs go, people seem to either love them or hate them. As with any speaker, the most important opinion is yours. And remember that if your original budget was $2500, you're going to have to raise that budget significantly to accommodate the DefTechs (but at least you won't need to buy a sub!). But they are well-made, well-reviewed speakers, and the technical people at DefTech are very helpful if you have any questions.

Anonymous

If I do decide to get the Def-Tech speakers, which receiver would you suggest to power these speakers? I've only looked at Yamaha and Denon. Would there be a better receiver to run these speakers on? Thanks!

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 72
I would not recommend the Yamaha receivers with the DefTechs.. I listened to them with a Yamaha RX-V2500, and they sounded very bright and clinical. With Marantz, Rotel, NAD and others they sounded much better. I would recommend Marantz or HK first, but I would think Denon would not be a bad choice either. I loved them with a NAD T773 but did not want to deal with the persistent QC problems of the NAD AVRs. I went the route of separates, using an inexpensive HK AVR as a pre/pro with an external 5-channel power amp.

anonymous II
Unregistered guest
For your budget in the Def Tech line look at the PowerMonitor and Studio Monitor series. They will give you the same dynamics as the floorstanders for less money. Def Techs do best with Marantz, HK and Elite receivers as they are the warmest and help balance the slightly bright Def Tech sound.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 39
Anonymous what type of Klipsch are you comparing to the DefTechs? I don't really think i'd compare $1,100 speaker to $500 speaker, in most cases the more expensive speaker will be an improvement. If you like the klipsch sound, try going somewhere other then best buy and looking at the reference series Klipsch. I think they sound better than the synergy series. Above all you have to like the sound, and if DefTechs are it great.
I would also suggest keeping away from yamaha if you consider Klipsch, they work better with a "warmer" reciever such as NAD, Rotel, or Marantz.
Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 40
Oh forgot to post that the Klipsch Reference 35's are pretty efficient as well being 98db.

Anonymous

Actually at soundtrack, also known as ultimate electronics, I compared the Def-Techs to both Reference and Synergy. I see why some people call Klipsch speakers "Bright". The difference between the Def-Techs and Klipsch is not night and day but it's pretty close. This could be because of the way they have the Klpisch speakers set up. I'll keep looking around and comparing.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 288
Anonymous -

First I have to agree with everything Ziggy has said. I was looking into buying either the towers you mentioned or their Power Monitors (powered bookshelves) The towers didn't work for me because my room wouldn't like the towers at all. I didn't buy the monitors because I got a great deal on a different speaker.

I listened to them on Marantz, Rotel, and Yamaha receivers. IMO the Marantz and Rotel sounded equally good (very good), but somewhat different than each other. I would have probably went with the Rotel in that set up, but I don't really have a strong reason why. The Yamaha didn't sound nearly as good. On other speakers the Yamaha sounded pretty good, but not on the DefTechs. All three receivers were about the same price, give or take a few dollars.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us