Bookshelvevers for NAD L40????

Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 5
In my office I have a Nad L40 (CD and receiver in one) with 30W oputput.
I want to upgrade my KEF Q15 speakers to get the most out of the amp without overinvesting

I am thinking of Totem Dreamcathcer or B&W601

All, whats your recomendation?

Would the 4 ohms of the Totem be an issue for the L40?

Thanks a lot

Eduardo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
So, any help please?????

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 221
Looking up info on the L40, it doesn't say if it can handle a constant 4 ohm load or not. I haven't seen it, much less heard it, so my opinion may be a little off. NAD gives a spec on dynamic power down to 2 ohms, but I don't know about a constant 4 ohms. Maybe e-mail NAD?

At only 20 watts per channel (even though they are usually under rated) I would look for a very effecient speaker. I don't know how effecient the Totems are, but I think the B&W 601 are around 89 db and 6 ohm or 8 ohm. On paper, this may be the way to go, but that is only looking at specs. The real judge should be your ears and not spec sheets. Just make sure that niether one of the speakers will damage your receiver. If you can, try to bring the L40 to the store selling the speakers and listen to them through it. If you can't do this, make sure you can return the speakers if they don't work out, or at least have another use for them.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 222
This is where I got the technical specs from -

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_L40.pdf

You mentioned 30 watts in your first post, but this says 20 watts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks for the link, it does say that it can drive 2 and 4 ohm speakers, I will bring it to the Totem dealer and compare vs the B&Ws

B&Ws may be a more conservative choice but i like the Dreamcathcers look and sound, lets see how they fit the L40.

I think any of them will be an upgrade from the Kef Q15

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 761
Might want to read here :

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/145826.html

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 651
Eduardo,

Whiule you're about it, also check out the B&W DM600. It's a cracking speaker for the money which has less overt character than the 601.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us