DVD Player is "Downmixing" to receiver...Why?

Username: Campo

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 2
I have a question for you all. I am relatively new to the whole surround sound technology so I am not sure what is going on with my DVD player to receiver connection. I purchased the Yamaha 760 package system. Followed all the fun hook-up information using the coaxial sound output but also using the component video connections. My question is whenever I play a DVD the "downmixing" light comes on. I have the audio setup as Multi-Channel (instead of stereo or virtual surround). It is a 5.1 system so my 2 surrounds, 2 fronts, center and subwoofer are all hooked up and all play sound...beautifully I might add. But the green downmixing light is always on during 5.1 audio playback of DVDs. Can anyone explain to me why this is? Am I being to vague? Thanks in advance for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 527
downmixing you say...

Sounds like the DVD player has Dolby Digital and DTS set to PCM. On this default setting the digital track is downmixed to PCM since most systems are connected to a TV and not a receiver which can receive and decode the digital signal. Make sure both Dolby Digital and DTS are set to bittstream.

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response. I took a look. I have gone through the dvd menu. Under the "audio settings" I have set the unit for "Multi-Channel" (Options are Stereo, Virtual Surround and Multi-Channel). Under the "digital out" I have set the unit for "All" (Options are Off, All, or PCM). There is no menu for Dolby Digital/bitstream so I have no control over that one. Still during any movie (I have tried a bunch) playing Digital surround the green "downmix" light comes on. I am at a loss. Sound is coming through, but I am not sure if I am taking a hit with the downmix light. I am assuming that I am. I checked my coax connection and it was nice and tight. The A/V receiver does show that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal. But why the downmix light on the dvd player? I am at a loss.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 529
Compression? It should be off.

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the input, but sorry. There is no option for compression in the dvd menu or the a/v receiver. I am stumped. I emailed tech support so I should be getting an answer in about 7 to 10 years. I am wondering if it is a glitch in the menu. I have been reading that Yamaha no longer offers firmware upgrades. Could it be possible, because this is a newer version of player coming from them, that the dvd player was sent out with a buggy menu system *gasp*.

Anonymous

I have a Yamaha DVDs1500, which has the same menu options as described by Campo. My understanding is that a downmix is produced when you attempt to send a multi-channel format such as DD 5.1 (or in my case DVD-A and SACD) over the analog link (L+R RCA) and the analog audio output on the DVD player is set stereo. For mult-channel over analog, you would typically use the 5.1 RCA outs on the DVD player to similar inputs on the AVR.

Since the indication is that the audio output setting is specifically multi-channel, this implies that you are directing MC DVD output to the 5.1/6.1/7.1 channel input on the receiver.

In any case, if you are getting DD/DTS surround via digital connection then the digital out "All" setting is working as it should. The fact that the downmix light is on indicates that there is an inconsistency between the analog audio output setting and its behaviour. This would indeed appear to be a bug in the HW.

Denver, Colorado USA

Post Number: 5
Well I received an email from the tech support rep today. Here is the answer for my downmix light mystery for the new Yamaha DV-6760 player?!:

In response to your email: Basically, even if you are connected for
digital audio with the dvd player and the receiver, the Down Mix light
will always stay on. This is because when an audio signal is being
outputted through either optical or coaxial, it will down mix the audio
signal as well to output a signal to the DownMix Audio outputs on the
back of the dvd even though they are not being used. Thank you!

Looks like the light will always stay on. Hope this string helps someone in the future. Thanks to all of you for your help. It was greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

It is also possible that a downmix is done allways anyway in order to provide audio to a second zone where only analog audio is transmitted.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us