Combining Power Amp and Integrated Amp??

Mc_X_iT
Unregistered guest
I recently bought a NEC integrated amp and want to hook it up to my LX1 power amp, and be able to combine the two power sources to make one big source. So i put the power amp into the Int. Amps pre out, but it is only the power amp that is putting out volume. (i no this because it clipped at the volume it normally clips at).

I am very puzzled and have ran out of solutions to combine my LX1 and NEC amps. I also own a NAD 1020 pre-amp, I dont know if it is possible to combine all three some how?

If anybody has a solution please let me know.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 372
When you plugged in your amp from your pre-out, did you cut off the access to your main in for your Integrated amp? You have to make sure that your integrated can still use its own internal pre-amp in order to function properly. It seems to be your problem.

Mc_X_iT
Unregistered guest
Dan,
I went from the back of my amp to the pre-out on the int. amp. So the 'main in' has nothing going into it. Is this a problem?
The pre-amp part of my int. amp is working fine, all i want is the amp part of the int. amp to join my seperate amp in a result of both putting power to my speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 264
You should have two sets of pre-outs at the back of your integrated amp. If you don't then you aren't going to satisfy your requirements. If you send the signal out of the pre-amp section of your integrated amp (but not back into the power section) then it is bypassing the power amp section of your integrated amp, thus only giving you an output from the external power amp. What exactly are you trying to achieve? It would help if we knew what speakers you intend running and in what manner you want them wiring etc. Also, I don't understand how you intend to also combine your Nad integrated amp into the proceedings. Are you assuming that you will be able to get more power to one set of speakers if you can somehow harness the wattage of all three amps?

Mc_X_iT
Unregistered guest
Sun King,
I will start from the begining....
Before my purchase of the NEC integrated amp I used an LX1 power amp with NAD PRE-AMP (not Int. amp). But then I purchased the NEC int. amp. Now I want to combine the power from the LX1 amp and the NEC int. amp together to push my huge Cerwin Vega D9's.
Yes there are two sets of pre-outs on the back of the NEC int. amp. But i do not understand how you are recomending me to hook them up with the LX1 power amp. I am planning on hooking up the speakers normally just with 14 guage wire, to either the speaker connection on the int. amp or power amp (I have no idea which one i am suppost to plug the speakers into now either)
This is as clearly as I think I can explain my situation, so if anybody knows what I should do please guide me through the process.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 265
Hi, I'm presuming the power amp is more powerful than the integrated? If so, run the treble posts of your speakers with the integrated and the bass posts with the power amp - thus harnessing the power from both amps. This is basic bi-amping, it's not the definitive method but it will enable you to use the power of both amps. Run the cd player or whatever source into the integrated amp, then take one set of pre-outs back into the integrated amp and the other set into the power amp. Connect speaker cable from the positive posts of the integrated amp to the positive posts of your (pair of) speakers. Then connect speaker cable to the negative posts of your power amp and run these to the negative posts of your speakers. Use standard RCA interconnects to join the pre-amp sections to the power sections and Bob's your uncle. There are more complicated ways of achieving what you want but I'd start with this.

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 266
I should have said that "proper" bi-amping would involve more money! You would need to either remove the crossovers inside your speakers and use external ones or wire new crossovers inside the speakers. Then you would get the true benefit from running separate power amps.

Mc_X_iT
Unregistered guest
I will definately try that technique. But becasue my int. amp is rated at 60w/c rms and my power amp is rated over double that, am I going to come across a problem?

Silver Member

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 268
No, the treble drivers will require less power - that's why I suggest driving the positive poles of your speakers with the integrated. It won't damage your speakers at all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us