Dvd-a stupid question:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jordie

Huntington beach, California Usa

Post Number: 38

If these new dvd-a/sacd players are so good,what am I going to do with the hundreds of cds that I have?Or :-), what am I going to do with the brand new cd player that I bought (that one cost me lots of benjies)?
Anyway the question is simple : should I throw my player away or hang on to it?
thank you guys!

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 43
Uhh keep it for playing cd's

A DVD (dvd-a & sacd) is for playing dvd's. dvd-a's and sacd's - usually a reasonable cd player will sound better than cd's played on most dvd players (pending inputs, dac's).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
:-)

As far as I know dvd-a and sacd are for music ,or...am I wrong?

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 45
Yes, of course DVD-A and SACD are for music but you'll find both these formats together only in a DVD player and for surround sound, a surround amp or receiver with the right inputs is required. If, as you say you have an expensive CD player why would you not keep it to play your hundreds of CD's.

There are a limited number of DVD-a and SACD recordings available now but no one really knows which will take off in the long run and even if - to be judged by consumer response I guess!

Sorry for confusion - I guess I should have given the simple answer you wanted: keep it!

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 370
DVD and SACD players will usually also play CDs. But a CD-only player will not play DVD-A or SACD. However, some SACD discs are "hybrids" in the sense that they carry an ordinary CD track, too. You should be able to play those on your CD player, but they offer no advantage.

No DVD-A discs are hybrids with CD tracks, so they will not play on a CD-only player. But they are all hybrids with DVD-V. So DVD-A discs play on all DVD players.

Hang on to your hundreds of CDs. Hang on to your player, too, unless you want to replace it with one that will play SACD and/or DVD, as well as CD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
adrian,

I've changed my mind, adrian. Go for DVD-A. Awesome. Really.

There is promise of "hybrid" discs with DVD-A one side, CD on the other. But once you can play DVD-A, you would never choose the other side, I promise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
:-)

I guess I should sell one of my cd players then
the Music Hall cd25 24/96:-)
thanks John...I really appreciate an informed opinion

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
oh I have another question:
will the sound quality be better when using a dvd-a compared to a dedicated cd player ...for regular cds?

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 73
Adrian,
It depends on the DVD player you get. I've posted elsewhere in this forum that you need to spend serious cash (north of a grand) to get a DVD player that plays CDs as well as a good dedicated CD player, including your Music Hall player. Here's my two cents worth: Keep the better CD player for playing CDs, get rid of your other CD player, and pick up a good universal player to listen to DVD-A and SACD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 494
adrian,

I think it will be much the same, at whatever price point you choose: certainly not worse. The DVD-A player DACs are off the measurement scale for a CD player.

Two Cents suggests on other threads that you have to go to very expensive DVD-A players to get CD replay as good as on CD players. But I think this is compared with only the best CD players, and they get expensive, too.

So, in my view, there is only huge benefit in going DVD-A, and no trade-off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
so ..John, you think that if you get a 1000$ dvd-a ..this player would have the same or better sound than a 1000$ cd player for regular cd's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Two Cents,
What dvd-a player would you suggest for under 1000$
my system:magnepan speakers
odyssey amplification
rel sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Adrian,

It depends on your priorities. Are you interested in mainly audio or both sound and picture quality? Are you interested in only DVD-A for audio or both DVD-A and SACD? The March/April issue of The Perfect Vision has a good survey of DVD players. That may be a good place to start your search.

The best thing to do is to narrow the field down to a few that you'd be interested in auditioning and let your eyes and ears be the judge.

FWIW, the Denon 2200 meets my needs for good all around picture and audio quality at a reasonable price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
What I want is both audio and video quality,something that plays regular cd's keeping the sound quality of a dedicated cd player(or better),that will play future formats and that is amazing for video too:-)
is the answer a...good dvd-a player or just a good dedicated cd player for sound and a good dvd player for picture(denon 2200,2900 for example)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Why not get the dvd/dvd-a/sacd player you want and try listening to CDs on it and if it sounds as good as your dedicated CD player, sell the CD player, and if it doesn't sound as good as the CD player, keep both (assuming you have the shelf space)?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I guess that's what I have to do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
No sweat. Keep us posted on your hi-fi adventure. BTW, I just noticed you're in Huntington Beach. I used to live in Santa Monica, but have moved to the Bay Area. Miss the land of eternal sunshine...

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
adrian,

I think the CD sound would be at least as good from a DVD-A player at that price as from a CD-only player - and you have CD-only player already.

I cannot really make a specific recommendation. It all depends...

However, in your position, with that existing equipment, I would be looking closely at the Meridian 800 and the Arcam DV88 or DV78.

Two Cents and I have had this discussion on another thread, but I am not convinced the considerable extra manufacturing cost of incorporating SACD is justified by increased sound quality. When you go to players other than Sony and Philips, which you have to to get DVD-A, there is a licensing cost to add, too. It might be justified, of course, if you have an exisiting collection of SACdiscs.

I wonder how many channels you have, already. I read here Magnepan now do excellent centers and surrounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Two Cents:
Yeah ,I moved to HB about a year ago from Seattle.So far I love it and I'll love it even more when I accomplish my "plans" in California:-)

John:
Are you really talking ab the 25000$ Meridian 800?:-)That's the money rich people spend on electronics....I am trying to build a decent under 20-25000$ system that kinda looks like this:
fronts magnepan 1.6qr
center magnepan cc3
rear magnepan mc1
amplification odyssey audio preamp and monoblocks
sources jolida jd100 or music hall(I like both of them)
sub rel strata 3
tv...don't know yet
dvd player...same:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
adrian,

Jeez, is that really how much it is? Sorry about that.

But the rest of your system justifies getting a really good source. Think about Arcam DV88. Spend the $24000 you save on...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Adrian,
I think John A may have hit on something there with his recommendation of Arcam players. They have a reputation for excellent redbook CD performance for DVD players. You might want to check out the Arcam DV89A (replaces the DV88) which lists for $1499 I believe. It also plays DVD-A but not SACD. The Denon 5900 plays both formats for $500 more. These are very good players and may challenge the CD performance of the Jolida and Music Hall. They are a little rich for my blood but maybe not for you.

Good luck on your "plans" in SoCal.

Username: Ruthenry

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 6
Hello...I would like to buy a HD DVD Player.
My TV is a SONY GRAND WEGA KDF-70XBR950.
Any suggestion? ( Proffesionals only).....Thanks.
Ruth.
henryw.andrade@verizon.net

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 602
The few HD DVD players that exist now are very expensive. Also, the "tussle" between the HD Blu-Ray (Sony's HD team) and the opposing Toshiba/NEC group for HD DVD discs/players has made purchasing either model a dicey proposition--even much more so than SACD and DVD-A. At least with DVD-A and SACD you can buy units that play both and there are a few hundred discs available on both formats. This is not the case on HD discs--maybe there are a couple of discs available in Blu-Ray.

I would buy a less expensive progressive scan dvd player with a Faroudja pixel doubling chipset for the time being until the brouhaha settles down, along with the prices.

The top of the line Yamaha receiver includes the Faroudja chipset and can work on all video sources. There are also a number of DVD players with Faroudja chipsets. The Pioneer Elite 59AVi universal dvd player includes 2-way fire (i-link) and HDMI, plus has a Pixel Conversion IC (similar to Faroudja)that automatically increases the pixel count from progressive 480 x 720 to high-definition progressive 1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1080i. More pixels = better picture. This way you get a quasi-HD playback.

There are some HD recorders out there, but they don't play HD discs. They will record HD
on their hard drives and replay them for you.

The first HD DVD players will cost a few thousand dollars and will likely play only one of the the HD formats. I would wait on buying an HD player and buy either a pixel doubling DVD player in the meantime, or wait until the industry shakes out and the prices come down.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1405
I think the denon 5900 runs the Faroudja chipset
and also provides hd plus
sacd/dvd-a capabilities.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 603
Kegger--

The 5900 is a fine machine with the Faroudja chipset, but a blue laser HD machine it isn't. If it won't play Blu-Ray or Toshiba/NEC's HD rendition, then it is not an HD machine.

Currently the only HD DVD players available in the US are recording devices to hard drive. A couple are available in Japan and they cost anywhere from $3K to $6K or higher.

As there are basically no commercial HD discs currently being sold, I would wait and see what shakes out between Sony's followers and Toshiba/NEC's followers--and which way the studio's will go. The studio's are not anxious for HD DVD discs to be available for obviuous copyright reasons---but I am sure some horrible watermarking and encryption will be done to ensure no copying---probably not even copying for your own use.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1411
sounds like good solid advice to me greg!

I agree with the waiting.

I wasn't sure what was meant by hd dvd player and if
it meant digital out for video to tv. like the upconversion thing to
hd spec on the video signal.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 35
Sorry if this has been covered before, but Denon has discontinued both the 2200 and 2900. Not sure about the 5900. They are being replaced by newer models here:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/DenonCEDIA2004newproducts.php

Crutchfield is selling out the 2900 at $699 and has sold out the 2200, which was going for $499.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 33
I would guess a newer player, due to the dac's would make those cds sound a little better... new technology. Some of those cds you have might even be HDCD encoded. In general DVD players are 'better' cd players and might even play cd-r's like most newer ones do.

Play those cd's in ProLogic II surround.. you won't believe the difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthenry

Woodhaven, New York USA

Post Number: 15
HELLO EVERYBODY:
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU.
SINCERELY
RUTH...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help