Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through July 20, 2005Dakulis100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 259
Hey, Margie, no girls allowed. (Just kidding!) You're always welcome and we aim to confuse, it's only by pure accident that we ever get to informative, interesting, and especially, fun. :-) (Well, that's not true, Tim is usually interesting and informative, but that's why we limit his number of posts.)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1316
David,

Thanks for a very even-handed and well thought-out series of reviews! Your results confirmed what I had long thought about Ascends, that when paired with a sub they are very hard to beat, though I was a bit surprised that you found their treble to be "bright"---however I am beginning to find that while unusual this is not such an isolated opinion (thanks to Somedood's posting of another forum's informal discussion on the 170s).

However, if the difference in the mids and highs is not huge, I might well opt for the Lings myself for a bedroom system where I might not want to have a sub.

I also found your experience with the Denon 2200 really interesting because until recently I was very skeptical of the idea that a $500 cd player can make a huge difference versus a $100 one. Sometime this weekend or next week I will be taking my Sony ES player into my local shop to do a/b comparisons with the NAD 521 and 542 cd players as well as the Marantz cd5400, will report back on that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Edster, yes this is really you this time, yeah. I wouldn't say the Ascends are "bright." They are "brighter" in the treble than the Lings, I guess that's what I was trying to explain. The Ascends are pretty, dang neutral in the highs and midrange. The Lings are warmer in the midrange, a sound I came to prefer but you may not and, as I stated way back when, I like clear, neutral highs and midrange and that's what sold me on the Ascends, initially. That opinion hasn't changed, just something different to compare them to with the Lings.

I'd suggest you talk to Tim about listening to them and see if you like their sound better than a pair of 170s. I agree that without a sub, the Lings will provide more bass BUT I'm not a thumpin', big bass kind of guy although I sure enjoy in my HT, not necessarily in my music.

As for the DVD player, even my lovely wife noticed the difference immediately. My son, who didn't know I made the change, commented that the system sounded much better last night. Then, I had to explain the new addition and he was impressed. (Again, with the sound, the video quality was negligibly better BUT I haven't had the time to play with the Denon's video adjustments at all. That's for this weekend as is a sound meter and balancing now that I know what I've got.)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1232
Eddie you'll want to stay away from that Marantz deck. The Marantz dealers I know won't sell it. Northwest Audio Labs found that the Marantz CC4300 changer sounded significantly better. I have the CC4300 for my second system and would concur.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 340
"Very brave of you both!"

Awww..shucks ma'am.

David:
There's so many variables all I could do is speculate. I would assume that the output voltage and impedance of the Denon player matches better with the receiver than the JVC, amongst other things that the Denon just plain does better. I had one of the JVC budget single disks at one time and there's nothing special about them at all. Why would male voices come through more? I don't know, maybe that's the way the recording is. Voice is usually in the 80Hz - 800Hz range. The Ling "woofer" has a wider range over which it maintains sensitivity, more than your typical driver does, so it should deliver the vocals fairly even over that range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1320
David,

oops my bad, I should've gone back and reread your postings more carefully. So would it be accurate to say that you generally find the Lings a tad warmer in the mids and treble than the Ascends, and (no surprise) to deliver deeper bass? If "tad" is the wrong word please clarify.

And yes, I am sorely tempted to audition the Lings myself though at this point a better CD player is my first priority.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1321
Art,

thanks for the heads up on the cd5400. My guy described it as "interesting in its own right" which I thought was rather peculiar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Edster,

Yes, "tad" is a good word. BUT, the sound reproduction for two speakers is different, noticeably different. They just get there differently and that's why the Lings sounded "warmer" to my ears.

Now guys and that includes you Margie, about the whole volume issue, it came to me last night. With the JVC, I wasn't getting a great passthrough from the source and both speakers sounded "brighter" while being played with the JVC. DUH, I have a high level hearing loss so I was hearing both of the highs better, more pronounced on the Ascends. So, when male vocals came on, they sounded softer.

Once, I hooked up the 2200, the music was produced more accurately. The midrange and treble sounded "warmer" on both speakers, the midrange "warmer" in the Lings. So, now the treble was being more accurately rendered and I wasn't hearing the female voices, treble range and upper midrange, as well. SO, I had to compensate for some of my high level hearing loss by increasing the volume.

Hey, I don't know if it's scientifically correct but it's the only explanation that makes sense and explains why my wife is constantly saying "can you turn that down." LOL

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 547
Have you tried the 2200 for DVD playback? Let me know if you heard an improvement.

I was surprised in the noticable improvement in surround effects, soundstaging, and clarity even through a digital connection. In fact it really didn't add up since the receiver should play a larger role in digital audio playback.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Kano,

Absolutely I have. I watched two movies last night, gotta quit doing that as I'm up until midnight. Watched "Beyond the Sea", not a very good flick but i was interested in how it would portray the vocals, Bobbie Darin story you know.

Anyway, there's several interesting scenes for music. Several scenes in smaller clubs with lots of background noise and you get a much better feeling of space with the background dialague while he's singing and the vocals remain clear but there's the instruments and all this other sound going on. Then, towards the end he's singing in an empty soundstage type environment and I've worked in those places and the feeling of open space, sound reverberation and voice was almost perfect. Again, don't know how to describe it other than a much fuller, bigger sound that captures the space involved. So, YEAH, it's been a substantial improvement in HT sound as well. Thanks for the inquiry.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 341
A movie that's good for testing sound is The Day After Tomorrow (no comment on content).

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Tim,

I'll give the movie a test run.

AND, definitely I think you should consider allowing folks to A/B the speakers from the forum. I think there would be some great interest in doing that for a member that's interested in purchasing.

Like I said, I was very impressed and certainly would consider them in the future, although I think I've got a crush on "Emma" right now. That just sounds like it's going to be an incredible speaker. Thanks again, Dave

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 342
I'm just wondering if I should take names from this thread or start a new one for
"Ring of the Lings". ;-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1261
Tim, wouldn't you be "Lord of the Lings"...lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
You guys are killing me here.

Tim, I hereby bequeath you this thread to do with as you may, oh kingly one. You may collect to your heart's content or simply start a new thread. ME, I'm waithing for Emma and I'll probably want to come visit her/you and see what you've done, when she's done.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 344
Haha..I love it. Edster's the one that came up with the Ring of the Lings name.

David, you're welcome to come visit anytime.

Here's the deal. I'm going to compile a list of 5 or 6 people that would like to audition the Lings. I ship to the first person on the list, that person ships to #2, and so on. Shipping tends to run $30 or less via FedEx Ground.
Edster is first on the list. Anyone else?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4581

I'll take you up on the offer.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 346
Cool. Jan is number 2.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 347
If those of you joining in would, please, send your shipping address and contact info to
info@alegriaaudio.com
it will help me keep track of things.
Thanks.

Quinn
Unregistered guest
Edster let me know when you get them so I can come listen or maybe I can pick them up from you for a listen and split the shipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
OK, good idea!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4587

HEY, PEOPLE!!!!!

There's a great offer being made here. How about giving Tim some support?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 349
In case anyone is concerned about shipping costs you can check it yourself at FedEx or UPS. I recommend FedEx.
Weight: 27 lbs.
Height: 23.5"
Width: 16"
Depth: 15"
For example: from WA to PA = $28.00
from WA to NH = $31.00

Gold Member

Post Number: 1340
Jan,

BTW you can also hear the Ascend 170s for about the same amount of money, $15-20 return shipping...it'd be very interesting to read a review written by you on a side by side comparison of these two speakers, maybe as an addendum to your "Do you listen" discussion, applying many of the same concepts and language contained in those +400 postings?

Just a thought.

I'll be auditioning the Lings with not only the Ascend 170s but also the 340s, along with another local Ascend owner.

Who knows, we might even get a few AVS Rocket owners in on it too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Edster, Jan, T-Man (not you Tim),

I'll look forward to hearing the reviews you guys do, since you have a lot more experience with equipment and speakers than me. Jan, it would be cool if you could compare to a number of speakers that you have available and let us know what you think. I'll bet the Lings hold their own against many of the sub $1500/pair that are thrown at them. (Also, I would agree with Edster) I love to have you compare to the Ascends, straight up, too.)

Unregistered guest

Gez Tim
What an incredibly generous offer.

You don't know me and I don't think I have access to a directly comparable set of speakers but I would love to give them a listen.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 351
No problem Margie. Just send me your shipping info
info@alegriaaudio.com
and I'll add you to the list.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 352
I'd like to ask everyone's opinion on what they think is a reasonable length of time to hold the speakers.
Is one week too short? Is two weeks too long?
I'd like to make sure everyone has enough time to get to know the Lings and at the same time not make the others wait months for the same opportunity.
What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
How about 10 days? Nice round number, and midpoint.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4592

Odeydodey!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 356
Ok, let's make it a 10 day maximum. If you feel you must use the full 10 days to become familiar with the Lings go for it. Otherwise, out of consideration for others, if you can ship to the next person sooner so much the better.
I'm shipping out Monday to Edster first, then Edster to Jan, and Jan to Margie. This order came about because this is the order I've received shipping and contact information thus far. I know there's more coming.

Quinn
Unregistered guest
Tim- I'm in the same city as Edster and would like to hear your speakers. I'll email you now that I'm back in town.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 358
Hey Quinn,
I figured you and Edster would work out something. As long as you get the speakers to Margie it's cool.
Margie will send to Tawaun.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 359
Oops, let me try that again.
Me to Edster
Edster to Jan
Jan to Margie
Margie to Tawaun.
OK, got it.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2531
Yo tim I've got several speakers and amps and recievers and,and,and many ways
to test and listen to your speakers but I would need a much more extended time frame
if this sounds like something you'd like me too.

I could test them with many different tube amps and solid state equipment of both
old and new vintage. Anywhere from 8 watts to 300 and compare against many a speaker.

I have the time now as I am off work but like I said I would need an extended time frame
to really do you and the speakers justice. They can also be ran in 2 channel and surround.

If this is something you can accomadate and would want, count me in.
If you can't do it for an extended length no hard feelings here or if my input would
not suit your needs that would not bother me either so just be honest and tell
me like it is. I'm thinking I would need a good solid month so maybe after everyone
else or if you have a different pair. Finish on the ones you send me would not have
to be that great as everyone else can give there feedback on the ones you send them.

Anyway just a thought as one tweaker to another.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2532
Also the frequency response curve along with the impedance would be helpful to.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 993
Just to say why I haven't expressed interest... I'm in Canada and that would complicate shipping, otherwise I'd be on the list.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1309
I haven't expressed interest because I don't want to pay for an audition. I'll just show up to Tim's house next time I'm in Seattle :-).

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 366
"Just to say why I haven't expressed interest... I'm in Canada and that would complicate shipping, otherwise I'd be on the list."

Not only that but you're too far east. I'm meeting with some of my audio buddies in Victoria next month.

"I haven't expressed interest because I don't want to pay for an audition. I'll just show up to Tim's house next time I'm in Seattle :-)."

I'd better pick my clothes up off the floor then.

Edster! They're on their way. I'll e-mail you the tracking number.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Tim and Edster,

I can't wait for Rounds 4, 5 . . . By the time we get to the 15th round, we'll know quite a bit about the Lings and the competition. I would expect T-Man to give us a reasonable review against the SDATs. Listen on, all. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
Now,

I'm going onto the Ascendaudio forum so I can take care of my cognitive dissonance since I shipped the Lings back to Tim.

BTW, since they're on their way to Edster, I presume they got home safely?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1660
Considering those speakers are so extremely light, dropping them probably wont hurt a thing. Ya know, like equivalent to dropping one of those pieces of foam you find filling those kiddie play pits that kids jump around in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
OK Paul, we really missed you. No, Tim will not let you have these to audition, you'll just feed them to the Cerwin Vegas.

We know you by now, don't we? Although I don't mean that in the biblical sense, obviously. LOL

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 368
They made it back just fine. I pulled them out and played them for a bit before packing them back up for Edster.

You forgot to mention the cute name Paul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
No, Tim, Paul wasn't going to go there. He would be accused or racial insensitivity by Lei. OUCH!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
No, Tim, Paul wasn't going to go there. He would be accused of racial insensitivity by Lei. OUCH!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1661
What cute name?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 370
Ling

Anonymous

What is Paul going to complain about when someone comes out with something like a carbon fiber cabinet or some other material that weighs nothing but has no resonance? Progress is a btch!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 376
Wilson Benesch already has the A.C.T. its its ben out for some time now a true carbon fiber cabinet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
T-Man,

Once again, you've got the cutting edge covered while I can't even keep my own behind covered on this site. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
Yeah just tired of arguing with people disputes on products is fine,but when stuff gets out of hand like it did yesterday,thats not cool for any of us.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Agreed.

Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 1
Edster- I'd like to attend a comparison of these interesting speakers like you mentioned at av123.com. I am here in Houston. I can offer up a pair of Soliloquy sat 5s as well or not. Either is cool. Any details or dates???

Thanks!

M

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
Marc,

sure just PM me with your contact info and I'm sure we can arrange something. I'm not familiar with your Soliloquys but would be happy to add them to the mix.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 377
According to FedEx tracking Edster should have the Lings on Friday. This is not only a test of the speakers, but the packing material as well. When you get the package the easiest way to get the speakers out is to remove the inner box and carefully flip it over on to a carpeted floor. There is a layer of newspaper followed by a speaker in a plastic bag, another layer of newspaper and the second speaker in a plastic bag. They fit the inner box tightly so give them a moment to slowly slide out.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 378
"Considering those speakers are so extremely light, dropping them probably wont hurt a thing."

I know Paul was joking around but for those that might want to know, one Ling speaker weighs about 13 lbs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1699
LOL

No need sending any of those 'nicknacks' my way, or putting me on your mailing list.

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 3
Don't worry Paul, I am sure no one would even consider to put you on any list anyway ! :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
Paul's on Santa's list, you know, the "naughty" boys one. LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Tim, I guess your gonna have to make CV clone for Paul to be interrested,Oh yeah make sure its not a 'dainty lightweight' and has red rings around the woofers.

Anoni
Unregistered guest
What does Paul do when he is not watching movies?

http://www.ronald.com/ronald/index.html

lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Wow!, and I thought Ronald McDonald was dead.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 379
Too bad I sold these.
http://www.timn8er.com/BJsSystem7_Rebuild.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Tim how did they sound compared to how they used to sound when they were new?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 380
I can't speak to that. They belonged to my buddy BJ. He bought the kit back in the 70s and built them himself. He did a few things wrong which I helped him correct while rebuilding them. I made sure he had good XO parts, that the cabinet was lined with eggcrate form, and that it had no leaks. The stands were my idea too, which got the speakers off the floor and tilted them back at 5 degrees. Not my kind of sound but they sure were fun to play with. Excellent party speakers.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 381
I forgot the most important detail. They weighed about 90 lbs a piece when finished. Not the heaviest speakers I've seen (the solid granite 3 ways take the prize for that) but no fun moving them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Yeah Paul would love SPLs he could get out of those,I wonder does he know the horns would be more dynamic than his CVs

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 382
They were loud alright. Nothing like dual horns to give that "in your face" feeling. The most amazing thing to me is that after nearly 30 years the original cabinets were practically disintegrated but the drivers were in great shape.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1012
The mid-horn driver looks identical to a Klipsch K-55 (used on the KHorns and La Scala) in Horn3.jpg. The speaker looks like a sealed version of a Klipsch Cornwall, using 2 12" woofers instead of one 15" (or a Heresy on steroids). Okay, so it's not like a Cornwall for the low end, but the top end is similar.

Could sound pretty darn nice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
Takes us back to how much has drivers really improved?I wander will we be able see if new speaker from this generation have their drivers intact like that 30 yrs from now?

Username: Jneufnash

Post Number: 8
Hey Tim, if your list is still open and you would ship to Nashville, I would love to take a listen to the Lings. I will listen to them both with an old Onkyo TX-866 receiver and a much nicer new integrated amp of some sort that I have not yet settled on for small room listening. I wish I could directly compare them to other speakers, but I won't be able to. Thanks!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 383
You bet there's room for one more. Please send your shipping and contact info to
info@alegriaaudio.com
and I'll put you on the list.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Tim,

After everybody else listens to them, I think you ought to just ship them back to me. After all, they'll be well used by then and you'll certainly have a new pair you'll want to play with, until Emma arrives. They can be the primary speakers in my new downstairs, 2 channel. LOL

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 384
Have you noticed that no one has asked about break-in time?

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Hey, if there's one thing I did right, and we're not all that certain about my review here, BUT I certainly got those puppies broke in, if they weren't already with 20 hours on them, initially.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4673

T8 - We're all assuming you will have rung them out, broken them in and hand picked a "special" set to impress the reviewers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Hey Jan,

No way, I took them apart and looked for any "special" parts. JUST KIDDING TIM, I didn't open anything up.

I'm afraid I was the only thing "special" about that review, and as my daughter says, "you mean special ed., don't you?"

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 389
"T8 - We're all assuming you will have rung them out, broken them in and hand picked a "special" set to impress the reviewers."

I guess I'm not that smart. I sent the same ones David listened to, although I did give them the "once-over" to make sure he didn't break them.
;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
I didn't have carnal relations with those speakers, honest? Although Ling is a cute name, especially for dainty speakers.

It depends on what the word "is" means, "is they broke," I refuse to answer any questions with "is" in them, thank you. Hey, it's been a LONG week, I'm beat.

OK, Edster, the speakers should be there by now, where's the review versus the 340s and 170s, what's holdin' ya up?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1041
181 posts on this thread before there even is a speaker comparison to talk about!

Can you imagine?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1042
Sorry, I thought this was the other Ling comparison thread... Boy do i look stupid. Please disregard...

Post Number: 2
Edster- I have a 281-364 cell call I dont recognize- was wonderin if you tried to call--ready for that speaker comparison here!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
Peter,

Hey, never apologize for looking stupid. If I did that, I'd be apologizing all the time. BUT, yes, we are waiting for Edster to write something, anything, about his speaker comparison. Am I deaf and the Lings or Ascends are actually nowhere near comparable, OR, is this really a toss up, driven by subjective preference. (OK, I know I'm going deaf so don't even go there.) We await, somewhat patiently.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1382
Dakulis,

I'm afraid you'll have to wait until Sunday at the earliest, possibly Monday. The Lings are sitting at my business location, I'll be picking them up tomorrow afternoon, will call up 2 local guys and have the speaker shootout sometime during the weekend or early next week.

But I'll start a separate thread for my own comparison of the Lings. Just for fun, in addition to the Ascend 340s I'll also compare them to my Mordaunt Shorts and (heh heh) lowly Polk R20s if I have time. Kind of like feeding a lab mouse to a python...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1383
Marc,

No that wasn't me. Please email me your cell phone again, I can't find it in my inbox. As I said, maybe tomorrow night or sometime later on Sunday would work for me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
Edster,

Just make sure you give it some pithy thread name that we can readily find and identify.

"FrankenLings meet the Ascends & Mordaunt, with a little Polk on the side" or something else semi-funny. We'll wait but we're not a patient group, overall. LOL

Post Number: 3
Cool. Edster--I sent a PM to you with cell number.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1732
Peter,

I suspect most people contributing to this thread are hearing impaired. they must be to settle for bottom of the line....well, nevermind.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1375
Says the man with Bose speakers in his system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 452
Well,Art look on the bright side,atleast he has the original CVs,well so he says.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1379
True and they are definately a rock music monster. I think he has the big D-9's which are great for stadium rock and the like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
A couple of my friends have the 7s,they deffinately crank,but have you heard the new ones,they are absolutely horrible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
Marc,

please try that PM again, because I haven't gotten anything.

As for the rest-a-ya, I'm unpacking the speakers right now so hold your horses, will get a short note out in a couple of hours...

Post Number: 4
Edster- you should have it now. I didn't type in a subject line the first time but did this time a round.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1382
Frankly Tawaun I think all CV's are terrible. They may be great for stadium rock, but what kind of sound is stadium rock famous for...loud and awful. Even home theater requires more detail than they can deliver to enjoy the whole soundtrack. To each his own, right?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1078
Hey Art, getting the Jacintha "Autum Leaves" CD is going to cost me about C$34 here after taxes! Can you believe it's a special order import here?

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
Yeah,Art im glad Paul owns them and not me,if i did I would quit audio all together.But im glad Paul is enjoying them,Hey better him than me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
OK,

Paul's CVs are like a homely man or woman. Someone is always going to take them home, especially after 2:00 a.m. and multiple drinks. The rotten part is when you wake up in the morning and find out you married them. Well, Paul's stuck with CVs and we're not. The 170s may not be the most beautiful on the planet but they do sing nicely.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
OK Marc, I'll give you a call tomorrow to set something up. You don't happen to have a speaker selector box by any chance do you? I am suddenly hankering after one, have no idea how much they cost or even where to get one or who makes them, lol.

Post Number: 5
I dont. But I do have an SPL meter. WE will need one to compare somewhat fairly. Could theoretically test these guys at several different volume levels.

I still offer my house. I have a 2 channel rig with a class A amp and a somewhat decent dedicated CD player ( Jolida cd-100a tube output stage), as well as an HT set up in a dedicated room with the typical Denon receiver, which could also be used.

Totally up to you!!!

Unregistered guest
Niles makes speaker selector switches.
Ebay?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1395
thanks Margie, I went straight to eBay after posting that 1:42am note. The Niles switches I saw only had spring clips though, I'd prefer binding posts.

I'm not sure what these connectors are, have never seen them before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5793453781&fromMakeTrack= true

Gold Member

Post Number: 1742
Yawn.....

As if any of you have ever personally listened to the D9s??? I hardly think any of you are qualified to comment on the subject.

On the other hand, if you like small sound, you should definitely look into buying small speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 310
I like small sound

And I appreciate Paul cause he finds interesting and funny ways to make his points.

You go guy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1751
LOL

They cant help themselves. With 'those' kinds of people, they believe whatever is fed to them. How do you think Kerry got all of those 'losing end' votes??? That is because too many believe the Dan Blathers in the news media and everything that is fed to them. They are like little fishies in a fish tank during mealtime devouring the days take.

The funny thing is that any reliable CV reviews certainly are NOT talking about my 20year old behemoths, but downgraded and cheapened models 20years their junior.

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
Hey,

Paul, we're just getting back at ya a little. It's all in fun and I will continue to support you in your right to say funny things, just becuz ya keep me laughin'. Thanks.

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 10
I agree, we do like you Paul, you are like mmmmm "The Pet" of this forum. :-)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4750

Paul - Please, I'll ask you once again, keep your political views off the forum. You are stretching the boundaries of taste a bit often since you got back from vacation. Find something truly useful to say. OK?

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Like thats gonna happen,thats not Pauls style I can live with it.If we really need something technical their are other minds to converse with about it,Paul we still love ya.Paul is knowlegable sometimes,hey we all have our times when were not.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 311
Personally as someone who gave a fair amount of money to Kerry and Move-On, I am not bothered by Paul's political statements. But, agreed, this is not the forum unless we have a political thread.

And, I suppose, objective measurements of speakers can only go so far. If Cerwin Vegas make Paul happy - so be it. They used to have a decent reputation if I remember. But so did Bose.

Anyway, I think Paul adds something by his wit to these discussions.

I hope there is never a referendum on my posts!

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 312
D-9 - Audioreview (rated 4.67/5 on 33 reviews)

Those things get decent reviews -

"Very high SPL (efficient), very good freq. responce (esp. when moded) For the price they can not be beaten- And FYI I also have B&W's (603's) and a pair of PSB Stratus golds, the "modded Cerwins" kill both the previous in ALL aspects. I couldnt believe it after I first moded them."

"Weaknesses:
Won't fit in many cars. You must not mind moving around the equivalent of a large man. I've carried these many times by myself. It was no fun."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1754
Don,
Most of the people attempting discussion on CV quality have no clue. All they know is chatter being thrown around about current models by the 'cheese & wine' community. Heck, most of 'THEM' probably havent heard the D-9s in person anyway, and the rumormill only relates 2nd hand heresay being spread through internet forums concerning brand new speakers.

I dont claim CVs to be high end speakers because they're not. No speaker in the $800 price range deserves that billing, and neither do the Vegas. However, to suggest they sound bad is another thing entirely. As I've said many times before, that I've tried to shop for replacements, and nothing impressed me enough for me to pull the trigger. I've shopped front speakers priced 4x what I paid for those 20years ago, and as soon as something impresses me, I'll own a pair. Until that time comes, the CVs will remain and effortlessly pull 'front speaker' duty as part of my HT.

There is one key distinction about my comments and those of others in this forum. The biggest difference is that im not ignorant enough to comment on the 'quality' of sound from any speaker that I have never personally auditioned. My only comments relate to current models sounding weak, small, and dainty by comparison and has nothing to do with the former.

For example, have I said the ARCAM or bookshelf speakers were poor quality???? No......

All I said is that the ARCAM was ugly, and had no features, while the bookshelf speakers were too weak and small for proper HT sound.

Isnt that valid discussion???

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 147
I agree with you Paul. We should be cautious about commenting on speakers and other equipment that we've never had experience with. I, for one, confess that I've never heard Cerwin Vega speakers. So, henceforth I will not comment on those speakers per se; I will however reserve the right to continue commenting on what I consider to be inane observations about bookshelf speakers.

Could it be that nothing else impresses you because you're looking for a particular sound -- one that is similar to what you're hearing now. A fullness? A bigness? If so, the only thing I can say is that fullness and bigness does not necessarily a good speaker make. Just because you've not heard a bookshelf speaker that sounds other than "weak, small and dainty" to you doesn't mean that they're aren't any. Face it, with respect to many speakers there's not a lot of difference between some bookshelf speakers and their floorstanding cousins. Take Art's Paradigm Studio 40's. What's the difference between those and the Studio 60's -- just cabinet and a few, very few, Hz of low extension frequency response which is easily filled in by a sub. I can think of a lot of adjectives for the sound of the 40's but weak, small and dainty aren't any of them.

And what is "proper HT sound?" Are you the arbiter of what is proper? Only for you; not for others. I don't think anyone objects to your opinions about bookshelf speakers; you're entitled to them. What many take exception to is your constant comments deriding those who choose bookshelf speakers for HT -- comments like equating the use of bookshelves for HT with stupidity. Those comments are not directed toward the equipment; they're directed toward the person. Unless those comments are made in jest, they're uncalled for. And frankly, they're making many of us weary.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4761

"All they know is chatter being thrown around about current models by the 'cheese & wine' community. Heck, most of 'THEM' probably havent heard the D-9s in person anyway ..."

As one of "THEM", I feel obligated to ask you, Paul, how many of the speakers you deride as "cheese and wine", "boutique" speakers have you ever heard? When was the last time you auditioned my LS3/5a's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
Thats a classic pair of speakers Jan.Did you know that they are back in buisness and they have a new model,I think I seen the review in HiFI News ,a couple of months ago,they were pretty impressive to,dont know if they are as good as the originals.They pretty much looked like them though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
Well, I'll weigh in. I don't take Paul too seriously when he, obviously, is not intending to be taken seriously AND, I think Paul expects that, including his political commentary.

On the flip side, I've seen Paul provide excellent, evenhanded advice to newcomers, including me, about the importance of auditioning speakers before purchasing and listening for your own sound instead of relying upon someone else's opinion of the speakers.

So, I'm not ready to silence Paul or anyone else at this point. Yes, he's got a comic schtick down regarding small speakers but Tommy Smothers and Richard Pryor had their own comic elements that they never let go of, too, and yes, their schtick got old on occasion also. Still love ya, Paul.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4764

One of the most important aspects of the 3/5a's (at least in their original usage as a BBC monitor) is the fact any 3/5a can be substituted for another 3/5a of any vintage to make a pair that meets the BBC spec. Individual drivers and complete speakers were held to rigorously tight specifications which drove up the cost eventually when KEF, who supplied the drivers to all manufacturers working under BBC license, could no longer produce drivers that met the BBC specifications and there were too many rejected drivers. The system was eventually reconfigured in the mid 1980's from the original 15 Ohm speaker to an 11 Ohm design and the surround material on the woofer was redesigned to bring the woofers back into spec. The new 11 Ohm version had the provisions for biwiring and a substitute was made for a compensation resistor on the tweeter. But, as with all previous 3/5a's, an 11 Ohm speaker could be sub'd for a 15 Ohm speaker and still meet the pair specifications.

The 3/5a will be the main speaker I use to compare against T8's Ling. It's a tough speaker to better. Many have tried and many have gone out of business. However, the 3/5a is not without its faults and its reputation (along with the Spendor BC1) as the classic example of the "BBC curve" is always present. Being a 1970's design there are no flush baffles on the face of the 3/5a. Instead the cabinet extends beyond the face of the front baffle and the tweeter is surrounded by felt to damp edge diffraction. There is also a metal screen placed over the tweeter's face and the speakers are voiced with the grills in place. Actually, by today's standards, the 3/5a's are the bumblebee that shouldn't be able to fly.

If anyone is interested in what Tim's speaker will be going up against, here's some of the best information on the 3/5a's. The "new" 3/5a's from Richard Allan are discussed on this site:

http://www.ls35a.com/

Certainly Tim's speaker couldn't be any more homely than this 30+ year old design. The pair of Rogers 3/5a's I have were manufactured in late 1976 and are the 15 Ohm version. The good news for Tim is the Rogers variant is considered "not as strong in some areas" as the Spendor version as indicated in the "3/5a shootout" on the web page.

The 3/5a is a bit anachronisitic at this point as the cabinet, though quite heavy for its size, was designed as a "lossy" enclosure which dissipates energy fairly quickly instead of trying to damp the resonances as is generally the fashion today. The construction of the cabinet is something I find interesting on the 3/5a page. Of course, there were no computers used to design the 3/5a's which became a commercial success almost by accident.

Anyway, have you heard a pair of these lately, Paul?

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 149
Well, it's good to hear that Paul's fans don't take him seriously.

On the other flip side, what percentage of his posts are excellent, evenhanded advice and what percentage are zingers?

Nobody's trying to silence anybody. Just trying to lighten him up a little -- so that his fanclub grows. :-)

I don't know how Paul feels about being compared to Tommy Smothers -- a funny guy but quite politically liberal. And to Richard Pryor -- another funny guy but not someone who deserves to be emulated in all respects. Unless you like to set yourself on fire by freebasing. I must say, it's sad to see Pryor's health deteriorate to the degree that it has.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Jan,

OK, they're not exactly pretty, I'll give you that. But, fairly interesting reading, I'll have to wait until I've got more time to get into the articles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us