Slight buzzing from my Pioneer VSX-815???

Bronze Member
Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 33
I hooked my speakers up to my new receiver and I am getting a slight buzzing noise from my surround sound back left speaker. Its very faint but noticable. You can hear it when the volume is down very low. I know its not the speakers because I switched the SBL and the SBR outputs and the noise followed it to the right speaker. Just wondered what you thought the problem if and there may be. I tried seperating cables and everything so I'm looking for some other ideas. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
the noise follows whatever speaker gets put into its outlet. Any Ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
could it be a bad output?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
having it sent out to have the output looked at. Is this something that will require a lot of work?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1609
If the buzzing moves to the right when you swapped the SL/SR wires on the back of your reciever, then faulty wire is to blame.

All you need to do is replace the bad piece of speaker wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
the buzzing moved to every channel I plugged it into. I plugged every speaker I had into that one output. The speaker wire was brand new. Did I send it out for repair for nothing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1616
If I understood what you were saying correctly, maybe so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
ok let me start again sorry. I plugged all my speakers in and heard a buzzing in my SBL speaker. To troubleshoot I plugged other speakers from other outputs into that output to see if it would follow and it did. I don't know if i'm explaining it correctly but i think thats what I did. Maybe you can clarify it for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1618
Did you try to test the wire by swapping wire connections in the back of the receiver, or just move speakers??

By moving wire connections in the back of your receiver, you could have determined whether the receiver was the problem or not. Since you already determined the speaker wasnt faulty, if you connected the (correctly working SR wires) into your receiver SL output, you would instantly know whether the receiver was at fault.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
cool thats what i did. Thanks a lot. It is now in the hands of a authorized pioneer repair place.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1619
ahhh....cool. At least you know you didnt send it in for nothing:-)

Username: Vantage000

Lexington, KY USA

Post Number: 4
Hey Paul,

I was wondering how you like the VSX-815. Does it have a fan or did you not notice. My VSX-814 does and I may return it for a different receiver because of that.

Thanks

Jeff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
hey I traded my VSX-815 in for another one and i'm still getting that buzzing. Probably a power issue wouldnt you think?

Username: Rparamount

Post Number: 1
Hi guys, I'm having the exact same problem as David, I have tried switching out speakers, using different power sources, and different wires but I am still getting the buzzing sound. Except mine is coming from my surround back right speaker. I wonder if this could be a common problem with this receiver? I'm going to go back to the store today and exchange it for another one.

Post Number: 2
Just an update for you guys - I went back to the store and exchanged my Pioneer VSX-815 for another one to see if the speaker buzzing problem in my surround back right speaker was still going to happen. Turns out it still does, but it wasn't as loud as the first vsx-815 I had. However it was still noticeable if you were the person sitting directly in front of that speaker. It makes me wonder if there is a problem with this specific model of Pioneer receiver. I'm going to take it back tomorrow because i'm afraid that the buzzing might get worse down the road. If anyone else has had this happen with any other brand's 7.1 receiver please let me know. I'm curious if this is considered normal in a 7.1 system or not?

-Regards, RP

Gold Member

Post Number: 1637
The cause might not be the receiver, but in your cables or speakerwire.

Post Number: 3
Hi Paul, i've tried using different speaker wire which is brand new, and also have tried 3 different sets of speakers (all different brands) and the problem still persists which leads me to believe it's the receiver. I've decided to go back to the store tomorrow and return this one and upgrade to a Pioneer vsx-1015 since i've heard good things about it. I'll let ya guys know how it turns out.

-RP

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
hmmmmmm i dont wanna have to return mine. I got a great deal on it. $180 open boxed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
hey Reg I can't hear mine unless i have my ear right up to the speaker. Is this the same with yours? Being that its the back 2 speakers I have a thoery the buzz comes from the matrixing the speakers to sound like 7.1.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1654
You shouldnt have any buzzing of any kind.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1307
Most AVR's have some noise if you put your ear up to the speaker. Paul's probably does too, he just doesn't have speaker enough to hear it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
like I said I can not really hear mine so I guess i'm ok with it. If anyone finds a solution please be sure to post it.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 502
So, Art, what you're saying is receivers not named NAD occasionally make noise too?

Post Number: 4
Hi guys, you can hear mine even without your ear up to it. You just have to be about 2 feet away and you can hear it.

Having said that, I just got my brand new vsx-1015 and it works like a charm. No more buzzing at all, and i'm using the same speakers and wire. Yay! So it looks like it's the receiver after all.

-RP

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 731
Those CV's buzz naturally Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1655
I guess NAD owners commenting here are so used to their NAD humming and buzzing sounds, they think it's natural and they believe all receivers do it.

My yammi produces absolutely none of those unwanted sound effects.

And yes, as it relates to HT, the CVs will blow away your halfpint itty-bitty speakers that claim to be "Loudspeakers". A definite misnomer equal to king of all misnomers(parkway & driveway).

Why do you park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway???? The same goes with boutique 'loud'speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
i think its something I can live with. I can't hear my buzz.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 281
David: this problem happens ocassionally in all brands of receivers. Normally when the receiver is idle, powered up but no source playing the speakers should be completely silent. In some instances with your ear pressed upon the speaker you may hear a very faint "hiss", this is generally acceptable, but you should not hear any AC hum or "buzzing". There are only two reasons for this 1) there is a ground loop present in your system and 2) there is a problem with the receiver. To check for ground loops disconect everything from the receiver all cables and equipment EXCEPT the speakers. If the problem still persists with only the speakers connected then it is the receiver. I sent an older model HK AVR I have to Inhouse Stereo Repair in New York and it's been there about a couple of months and they still haven't determined the problem. Problems of this type are very complex in nature and require sophisticated equipment to diagnose. Fortunately I did buy a new HK AVR to replace it so I don't have to live without stereo and surround while the other is being repaired. As I expected the new AVR is completely silent. Some on this forum would suggest that the problem is caused by a failing capacitor in or near the power supply or filter section for the amplifier but this doesn't seem to be the case. The last time I telephoned the technician he said they were going to check all grounds within the unit. That was a about a week ago and I have not heard yet from them.Suprisingly, This type of operant noise problem is commonplace in television sets. If you find a tv with a totally silent power supply let me know so I can rush out and buy it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
well I just e-mailed pioneer about the problem with this receiver and i'm hoping to get a response back. The chances are probably slim. I asked them to look into the problem. I will let you guys know if I hear back from them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
I wouldn't hold my breath David on that one. I discussed the problem with HK's tech support and they gave me a spill on noise floor and how some is present in nearly any receiver. This is true to a certain extent, as I said with some very faint hissing generally being acceptable but any AC hum/buzzing is not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
if I got my receiver open boxed will best buy still give me a full refund?

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
I'm not sure what their return policy is, you will have to check with them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
i should probably go try and return mine then. This really stinks.

Pirate
Unregistered guest
Hey all, I just bought this pioneer vsx-815. I'm lovin it. Anwyay, I use a 5.1 setup, it sounds like the buzz your referring to is in the surround back positions. I'm going to plug my surrounds into the back to check.

How do you guys like the pioneer receiver?
What speakers are you running into them?

Do you guys use the MACC configuration? (with the mic and the automatic setup?) That seems pretty cool, but I tried it twice in a row from the same location and it set up the distances a little different. The subwoofer level was set a little lower than I like too.

Just curious on everyone's opinion with this receiver.

Post Number: 5
Hi Pirate, yep I have a 7.1 configuration and the buzz was coming from the surround back right speaker for me. Other than the buzz I thought that the receiver was great and that if you can find one without the buzz you have a great receiver on your hands.

I used the MCACC automatic setup to do the initial tuning of the receiver and then I used the manual setup mode to fine tune the settings to my tastes after that. Hope this helps.

-Cheers, RP

Post Number: 6
David, I have also posted my experiences with the vsx-815 on another message board and two other people on that forum have also reported experiencing the same problems.

Also for the record, I also unplugged absolutely everything from my receiver except for the speakers and still encountered the buzzing with both vsx-815 units I had tried out.

-RP

Pirate
Unregistered guest
Hey Reg. Does the 1015 have the same sound effect options as the 815? Under both standard and advanced? Just curious as to what all of the differences are between the two since you've had experience w/ both.

Thanks

Post Number: 7
Hi Pirate, it has all the options plus it has another button called 'THX' to flip into a variety of THX modes.

You can actually compare the two on Pioneer's website by downloading the pdf manual for both. You'll be able to see a complete list of the modes and features in it.

-Cheers, RP

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Reg and David: Talked to the tech guy today at Inhouse. Turns out the main power supply caps have shoddy grounds and he's going to resolder them and hardwire new grounds, this will take care of the buzzing. Unfortunately this is going to cost me $98. So if you ever buy a new receiver with this problem RETURN IT IMMEDIATELY! Just wanted to let you guys know.

Post Number: 8
Wow that is interesting indeed. Let us know how it turns out after he fixes it up. Thanks for the info Eric!

-Cheers, RP

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
yeah thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us