Tricking out an old Paradigm PS1000

Username: Falgarand

Post Number: 1
OK, so I buy a used Paradigm PS1000 for $20 because the amp's blown. I pull the amp, convert it to passive, route my old Carver receiver through the LFE on my A/V receiver, and *voila* it "works" fine. But, it still has the PS1000's infamous boominess.

Any suggestions on tricking out? Would it be worthwhile to replace the driver with an Adire, Dayton or equivalent? Block the ports? Build in a new baffle system?

Sure, I could just dump it and throw $500+ at a proven product, but I kinda like the challenge.

Unregistered guest
Hello, I have used the PS-1000 passively with good results by using a secondary amp, crossover, & optionally an eq to touch it up. I actually have an unused amplifier for the PS-1000 (V.2) that has less than 3 hours on it. (the rest of the box and woofer were installed in a previous house, and left.) I was planning to build another sub for it, but never got around to it. Don't bother trying to replace the driver in the PS-1000 box; 5th order speaker enclosures are VERY driver specific for tuning properly. You will not find better results with another driver. If you are interested, I will figure out what I want for the amp I have. Another option would be to simply send your "blown" amp to Paradigm for repair. They are usually quite reasonable. Did you check the rail fuses on the amp pack? You can email me directly with questions at ishopping@intergate.com as I came to this forum by accident and saw your post. Probably won't be back unless you reply.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4885

You've replaced the amp and now you want to know whether you should replace the driver and possibly build a new enclosure?! You're kidding, aren't you? If you have the amp and you're thinking of buying a new driver and building a new enclosure, what does that leave of the original PS-1000? The feet?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1865
LOL

At least he'll still have the Paradigm nameplate.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1432
I don't know Jan I used to own that sub many moons ago and dem's some pretty lousy feet. My guess is that he already has or soon will be replacing those feet with spikes.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4906

So that leaves him with $20 worth of ... ?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1433
Yep!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4907

Frank - Please don't get insulted by the commentary. It was not meant to be insulting, just a matter of "realize what you're saying".

You spent $20 on a sub you knew had "the PS1000's infamous boominess" and now you're looking to spend more money on totally changing what you paid $20 for. If you take what you would have to spend on the new driver and the new box, possibly you could have a subwoofer without that "infamous" boom. You got your $20 worth. If you want more than that, starting with what you know to be less than great isn't going to get you to mediocre no matter how much you change it. And the work, time and money spent could have bought something better.

Agreed?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1871
Either that, or spend an additional $20 for a bottle of tequilla before each 'listening session', and then drink until the boominess disipates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us