MIRAGE OMNI S12 SUBWOOFER

erilip
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone, I've been hunting down a good subwoofer for quite a while now and I've come upon the mirage omni s12 from mirage. I really wasn't looking at mirage but it's being sold at 399.99$ (retail 800.00$)? at Tweeter Now I'm a bit paranoid and feel there has to be a reason for this amazing deal. Nothing is free, right? Is this a really good deal or should I pass. I will want to audition before of course. I was saving up for a Hsu vtf-3 mk2 which I have auditioned and was just stupefied by the power. Are these two subwoofers even in the same ball park?

Thanks

Eric

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 926
I wish I knew the weight... It's a little smaller than a Hsu STF-3, also uses a 12" driver and has the same power rating. They say it goes down to 19 Hz, which is very low for that volume.

It looks good on paper... Wish I would have heard it.

Anyone else?

Unregistered guest
I have an S12 sitting in my basement right now, unopened. The guy at Tweeter told me the sale expired 7/4 so I bought it with the 30 day return policy because it sounded great in the store.

There's a review here:
www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/
mirage_omni_s12.htm

The dimensions show it's about the same size as a HSU VTF-2 mk2 but with the 12" cone. I hesitated to open it until I had something to compare it against and this is my first sub, so I too would be interested in any other responses here.

Or if someone wants to educate me as to how to test a sub, just shoot me the info.

erilip
Unregistered guest
Hi Jon Let me know how your test turns out

Thanks

Eric

erilip
Unregistered guest
Hi peter, the review mentionned by Jon gives the omni s12 a weight of 51 pounds

Eric

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 937
Well, that review is pretty clear! The Hsu VTF-3 is a better sub, louder and more controlled, yet the S12 is close in performance when not driven as hard (but driven hard enough for everyday use by the reviewer). Sounds like the S12 is overpriced at $800 but a good deal at $400.

Larry T.
Unregistered guest
I bought the Mirage S12 ($399) at Tweeter for my 14'x25' home theater/family room. I thought it sounded good, but wanted more output. I took it to the HSU factory to compare it to their VTF-3. I was impressed by how open they were to a live demo with another product. The VTF-3 was impressive, but the S12 kept up pretty well with it. In my large room situation I didn't think I would notice the difference between the two. I bought a 2nd S12, and I am impressed with the difference. It was worth it only because the S12 was $399, otherwise the HSU/SVS/Axiom would probably be the way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us