Bang & Olufsen speaker connections

Username: Drummer87

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a pair of B&O RL35 speakers (1986) second hand and need to know if I can use them with my gear (not B&O). I've read that they use a special connector and I want to know if I can use them as they are or whether i'd be able to rewire the connections.

So, is there anyone here that has B&O speakers that could tell me if they're rewireable or descibe to me what the connectors are like.

Many thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 164
Owen the connectors are very different and it scared me into not buying a system at a recent estate sale. I suppose they can't be that much different to rig into a normal system, but do you really want to take the risk?

Have you tried getting in touch with the B&O folks?

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 83
IMHO B & O is another Bose. Looks great. Priced phenomenally high. below average sound.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 921
Careful, you're making an ennemy of our anonymous poster by bashing Bose. Wouldn't want that to happen! :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 86
Careful? Now really Peter, why would I be careful of a guy who's so s h i t scared to even mention his name in front of us? Cluck...Cluck....!!

Post Number: 2
Is the sound quality _that_ bad? I'm only a casual listener really and they'd be for my bedroom, not for a home theater or anything. Also, I rang the local B&O service centre and the guy there thought that the RL35s had the normal springy tabs for bare wires on the back because they are a passive speaker.. does that sound right?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4399

How long has the guy at the B&O store been there? Since lunch? One problem is B&O dumped all their original dealers and distribution network in the late 1990'2 to open exclusive B&O stores. The new dealers never dealt with the old product. (Do you really want to do business with a company with that marketing concept?)

You're taklkng 19 years ago and I can't swear to the fact, but I don't remember B&O ever using spring clip connectors on the speakers or amplifiers during that period. The connectors are available through parts stores but you'll have to hunt to find them. It is very difficult to rewire the B&O speakers to accept anything other than their specific connector.

Regarding sound quality; as a rule people don't buy B&O products because they think they sound the best.

Post Number: 3
Hmmm.. well here's an advancement, I found this: http://www.beoworld.co.uk/beovoxredline2.htm and under RL35 it states "Connections:: spring terminals".. are these the normal holes/clamps with the springy tabs? (the other models say "Connections: spring terminals, DIN socket").

The guy I rang was at the service centre (B&O fixing place i guess) so I hope he'd know his stuff if he was fixing it for people ;)

One reason why I'm looking at these speakers is because I have a less powerful amp (40watts) and haven't seen many other speakers around with ratings 40watts or lower. I would build my own, but it would cost be a lot more to buy the parts (~$AUS140) than if I can get these B&Os at a good price.

Any reccommendations otherwise?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 165
I don't know about this particular speaker set, but I honestly would not put B&O in the same category as Bose. They look good and they are extremely overpriced (makes Bose look cheap), but I think they have a warm sound and their tower speakers will fill up a good size room.

Anonymous

Their top of the line tower with a few thousands watts of internal amplification will blow your mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us