Athena AS -F2.2 opinions,,,,

Username: Leeintn

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 7
Anyone auditioned or purchased these yet? How do they compare to the previous model? Would they work well with a Marantz 2238 in a carpeted and well furnished 14 x 20 room?

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 196
Your Marantz is rated at 38Wpc, correct?
Not enough power except for low listening levels.

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 8
I also have a Sony Integrated amp TA F700ES which is rated at 110 wpc at .004% THD. Would this be sufficent to run the Athena's??

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 197
Oh Yea! I'm running my AS-F2s with a 120Wpc NAD and AS-F1s with a 100Wpc Rotel. Personally, I think 80Wpc is minimum for the Athena floorstanders.

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 9
I talked with Athena and was assured that my Marantz would be enough amp to drive the AS-F2.2's at even high listening levels. Thay said 20-100 WPC was sufficient and my Marantz would have no problem. I think I'll be buying while they are $499.00 at Audio Advisor.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 198
Lee...Just be aware that you may be tempted to turn them up because they sound great. You will hit your amplifier's limit and it will start to clip. If you leave the volume up when this is happening you may damage your tweeters. So, if/when you hear distortion, back down on the volume.

Anonymous

If you really need that last 3dB of sound...

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1579
I recommend lee buys a better sub.

Anonymous

What sub does lee have now?

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 10
Lee has no sub. Just wanting to upgrade current speakers in straight 2 channel system for music only. I have BA VR950's currently. Saw the price on the Athena's and thought I might upgrade my speakers. How about the Athenas with my Sony TA-F700ES integrated?? 110 x 2 .008% THD.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 199
The Sony will be fine. It's the Marantz that has power limitaions. It will be interesting for you to compare how each of them sound.

You will not need a sub with the AS-2.2s

Anonymous

Rick, you do realize that the volume difference between the Sony and the Marantz, assuming the rated wattages are correct, is but a few dB in reality ?

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 200
ANON...Please tell Mr.Campbell exactly what he can expect with his Sony and vintage Marantz.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 931
Rick,

Do you drive your speakers way past 0 dB on your volume dial?

The difference between 38W and 110W is 4.6 dB. It's not insignificant but I wouldn't say that one is plnty and other is way under-powered. It's still pretty close.

(Another content-free useless post by Peter!)

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 201
It's a matter of headroom.

I blow the windows out on a regular basis...

Username: Fontboy

Post Number: 7
peter, how do you calculate how many dB you output based on the wattage? i am very curious to know. thanks,

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
Aren't the Athena's pretty efficent?

Bronze Member

Woodbury, Tn

Post Number: 12
I can now answer my own question. Couldn't pass up the Athenas for $499. I have compared the 110 wpc Sony ES integrated and the Marantz 38wpc on the Athenas. I find the Marantz holds its own at every level and produces quiet a bit more bass response. Also, the owners manuel for the Athenas specifically says the speakers work very well with 20-100 wpc. I am looking in to purchasing another vintage receiver with around 150 to 175 wpc. Looking at Kenwood 9600 and Pioneer 1250.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us