Sub out no good?

Unregistered guest
Hello, my name is David. I have a Sony str-de825, and it has 2 sub outs. I have a 250W PA amp hooked up to a custom dual channel sub. The sub has a very loud humming when i turn on the amp. i tried the same setup with a friends receiver and the sub and amp worked great. I believe the sub out is at 2v and 1mohm, can I check both of those with a voltmeter? would the loud humming noise be the fault of the signal being put out by the receiver? please help me fix this problem, i don't want to have to buy a new receiver, but i will if there is no other way. my main question's are 1. can the signal be causing the noise, 2. if so, can i check that by measuring the volts and/or ohms, 3. if it is bad, is it very expensive to have fixed/or is it even fixable. Thank you very much for your time. David

Unregistered guest
Also, do you advise that i invest in some nice RCA cables for my sub out? and if the line out was messed up, could that have hurt the sub or the amp?

davidw
Unregistered guest
I have to post again so I can move up to the top and hopefully somebody will be nice enough to respond, I would really appreciate you're opinions. Thank you, David

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1188
Sounds like you need to repair or replace the receiver. If you have as little as $300-400 available, there are much better AV receivers out there than the Sony.

Sub cables: whatever you do don't fall for the Monster Cable scam. Almost any generic single RCA cable will do, in fact a simple coax cable with RCA F-adapters will do very well and should run you less than $10 altogether at Home Depot or RadioShack.

david w
Unregistered guest
Actually I have found out that it is more than likely a ground loop, which is easily fixed. Thank you for your advice. David

Qbee
Unregistered guest
mine also suddenly makes a humming noise, even when volume set to zero... wtf do i do i suck at this
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us