Rega P3 won't spin with platter on

Username: Tanna11

Post Number: 4
I recently purchased a Rega P3 off ebay. It came shipped well, however the hub/bearing assembly came off in shipping. I placed it back on and then tried to turn it on. When I turn it on, the hub will spin, but only without the glass platter placed on it. Once the platter is on, it doesn't spin, as if it were too heavy. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 634
I'm assuming you bought it 2nd hand off ebay.

1. Was there any spillage in the box? There should be oil in the assembly. If there was any liquid in any of the packaging the oil has almost definitely made a getaway.

2. Is the bearing (a little stainless steel ball) still at the base of the shaft or did it, too, make a getaway into the box? If so, and you've lost it, you need a new one which any Rega dealer can get you fairly quickly.

When you switch on and it turns the subplatter, is the belt slipping against the motor? This would almost definitely be because of one of the above two reasons. If it's not slipping and the motor is simply rotating slowly, it sounds like the motor's had it (possible) and you need a new one.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Tanna11

Post Number: 6
Thanks Frank, your advice is very helpful. There was indeed spillage in the box (and on the turntable). Can you tell me what kind of oil I would need and where exactly I need to apply it? Also, the bearing is gone (I probably threw it away in the packaging) so that would certainly be an issue as well. I've been having some problems finding a Rega dealer in NYC, do you know anyway I can get a bearing online? Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 636
The Sound Organisation is the US Distributor for Rega. Contact them for details of a Rega dealer near you.

The Sound Organisation

Stephen Daniels
11140 Petal Street
Suite 350
Dallas
Texas 75238

Tel: 972 234 0182
Fax: 972 234 0249

For more info about Rega look at http://www.rega.co.uk.

A dealer will send you both oil and bearing for a nominal fee. Rega take pains to point out that it's not any old ball bearing and it's not any old oil (though I do know it's hypoid gear oil) so get the kosher deal to guarantee Rega performance.

Regards,
Frank.

Unregistered guest
What timing! By chance I have just experienced the same problem, inheriting a fine planar 2 that has also lost its bearing.

It'll cost you $55 dollars from the Sound Organization. They'll send you the entire bearing and spindle assembly, according to the NY dealer (whose name escapes me - it's on my, ahem, work computer).

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, and, alas, non-kosher. Anybody happen to know the diameter of the bearing? I have calculated the difference between the depth of the spindle-holder and the spindle axle and so can estimate, but would rawther have the official size if available.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us