Bose audio

Bronze Member
Username: Karam

Post Number: 66
hey guys, i wanted to know your views on bose audio, i wanted to know are they anygood. are they something that you would buy if you had that much money or is there anything better?
let me know your views

karam

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
for example the Bose Lifestyle 48 System what do people think of this?

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Post Number: 17
Like the name says bose are more to lifestyle, more towards decorations than performance, I like the looks where its tiny you can hang those cube speakers at the wall and the main unit looks slick, but if you want quality sound, look elsewhere, buying component are cheaper and much much better quality sound, and added bonus is if one of the component is broken you can replace them with newer version.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1122
Karamjit,

Bose is the biggest marketing scam in audio. Here's a good analysis, with plenty of recommended alternatives:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
ok thanks for the input. ill take a look at the site.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 62
Oye karamjitey! Bose-shose chhod yaar. If you like what Bose looks and sounds like you'll get plenty similar looking/sounding cubes at less than half the price.
But if you want real quality sound thats not such a pain-in-the-ears. There are thousands of better options to look at. Just read some of the threads here.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 120
Yeah,im not gonna sugar coat this one,in most cases most of us on this forum dont see eye to eye.But I think we will all agree on this,buying Bose would absolutely be the worst thing you can do in your hifi life.The worst speaker we put down is 10 to 1000 times better than Bose,you have made over 60 posts on this forum you really should know better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
lol, i never really looked init this but yes after seeing that site they dont seem to be any good at all.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 208
My father in law has the Bose wave cd player. Not bad sound for such a cheap looking little thing. And, not bad sound for a $100 cd player.

Trouble is it cost $500.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SJjLfDJd56S/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=018WRCD2PW

But he is happy. So, I think it is fine for him. I gave him some decent Pinnacle speakers, an onkyo AV receiver, and a component cd player - so he has options. I think he likes the simplicity of the Bose cd player for his study.

He is a wonderful guy and I am glad he likes his Bose.

I would be interested in anyone's take on this wave radio / with cd player.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 209
From the site referenced above:

"For $500, the Wave Radio is an overpriced alarm clock. If you're impressed by it, have a listen to a Henry Kloss radio for a fraction of the price!"

Ouch!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1150
I heard the Wave and must say it didn't distort at maximum volume. Of course, maximum volume on the Wave was about equivalent to low/moderate levels on most boomboxes.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 153
See, I knew if I looked long enough I could find Ed and T in the same forum and they would agree on something. BOSE SUCKS!!! Let's hear it for Bose for proving, we all can get along.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 225
David

Looking for some Bose speakers, huh? What brought you to this thread?

just kidding

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 68
Check out Orb Audio speakers -- http://www.orbaudio.com -- much better speakers and a lot less expensive due to their direct business model.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
yer they seem good. is ther an thing better? would 3 way big box speakers sound better?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
i mean like floor standing? or something?? what currently is high end stuff top of the range

Anonymous

Keep in mind Karamjit that everyone here is a bunch of psychos that post on a message board all day long. Bose is still good given their objective of making lifestyle systems as opposed to big ugly tower speakers. No they will not perform as well as others costing the same because some money went into actually making them look halfway decent. If you listen to them you will realize that they aren't as horrible people here say. No they arent the epitomy of hi-fi, but neither is Orb or the other crap people here push as Bose alternatives.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Hey Mr. Bose-employee-posing-as-hifi-poster-anonymous, a few points about the speakers you call "Bose is still good...."

1. They are just as horrible or worse.
2. The money didn't go into making them look decent, it went into marketing and the pockets of Mr. Amit Bose.
3. Orb isn't a Bose alternative.
4. Orb isn't crap!
5. We aren't a bunch of psychos. We listen, we discuss, we give our own opinions, suggestions and our names (unlike you) to people like Karamjit who are genuinely looking for answers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Karam, where you located dude? If in India- Mumbai, I could help you locate some awesome speakers that will shite all over Bose!!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 908
Yeah, 'cos we all know making something pretty increases the cost ten-fold.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
no im based in uk, lol but yer home town is india. but yer i have been lookign i have seen brands like b & w but i wanted somethink which will replicate instruments the best or give the best real sound possible??

Anonymous

Hey, if people still buy them when the prices are high, can you really blame Bose?

Shahrukh D : Have you compared the two side by side? Upon what research are your comments based?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Anon, I've heard both. And I would compare them side by side if the differences were subtle. But Bose and Orbs are like apples and oranges. Have you heard the higher frequencies in Bose?? To be honest, I haven't!!

Anonymous

Human hearing is quite weak at higher frequencies. Perhaps that is your problem Shahrukh.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Hey Don,

I'm still waiting for that envelope you're sending with the Bose speakers for my 100th post, where is it? I'm now over 160, what gives. LOL

Anonymous

Like I said, psychos.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 910
No they will not perform as well as others costing the same because some money went into actually making them look halfway decent.

Hey, if people still buy them when the prices are high, can you really blame Bose?

The first implied that the cost difference was due to making them look good and the second contradicts that.

Have you heard the higher frequencies in Bose?? To be honest, I haven't!!

Human hearing is quite weak at higher frequencies. Perhaps that is your problem Shahrukh.

He said he couldn't hear any from the Bose, not that he couldn't hear any ever from any speaker.

Like I said, psychos.

Well, we're at least logical psychos!

Anonymous

I never denied that Bose was in business to make a profit. Do you think that Klipsch is a non-profit organization Peter?

It doesnt seem like they are gouging the customer that badly though. The author of the anti-bose document states that the drivers alone are $35 a pair (for drivers that may well not be as high of quality as the Bose originals; they are after all aftermarket replacements). Add to that costs of the speaker enclosures, wiring, crossovers, warranty costs, R&D, etc, and you start to see that they aren't gouging you as badly as you once thought.

They are growing though! They had a 6% jump in revenue between year end 2003 and 2004. Yay!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 913
Well anon, if you don't think they are gouging, then by all means buy some more. But I think we psychos will continue to advise people to look elsewhere. ;-)

What are you still doing here anyway? Are you an audio psycho too? If so, please register and post your opinion under your own name.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 325
I have to agree here. I have listened to some really expensive speakers that looked really great but sounded like........well Bose! You have to be careful but it took years for me to educate myself with my ears instead of wallet and eyes! This is a bigger pay off for all of us.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 14
I have an Orb system and no, I don't work for Orb (seems you have to put this disclaimer in another thread). There is a Bose factory store near me and I almost bought the expensive Bose system. After I had my Orbs for a couple of months I was back in that mall and sat through the demo again. Even with the mega-buck equipment and specially designed soundtrack, it was unbelievably obvious how weak the Bose system is, especially the sub. My Orbs blew them away and all I am using is a mid-line Yamaha receiver. My point is not to push the Orbs, rather to say that I spent 1/2 what a Bose system costs and I got much better sound. There are plenty of speaker lines that can say the same thing. I did like being able to store your music in the receiver, but the plastic unit looked and felt so cheap that I was afraid it wouldn't last very long.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 226
David posted: Hey Don,

I'm still waiting for that envelope you're sending with the Bose speakers for my 100th post, where is it? I'm now over 160, what gives. LOL

---------

Anonymous Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:14 pm:

Like I said, psychos.

--------

David, David - I just don't think it would be good for your mental health yet. I will send them after consulting with Paul. Be on the lookout for a VERY tiny envelope.

Anonymous

With well over 1 billion in revenue last year, fortunately it doesn't seem like your Bose bashing has much of an effect.

And no, I'm not an audio-psycho. I am simply entertained by the antics of people on this forum as it relates to Bose.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
yeah sure....Bose rules...you happy now?

now get your wet dreams somewhere else

Anonymous

Actually yes, that gave me quite a bit of satisfaction. Thank you Zorro.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
You are very welcome! oh I knew it kiddo! it is just mental m a s t u r b a t i o n! good job !

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 914
With well over 1 billion in revenue last year, fortunately it doesn't seem like your Bose bashing has much of an effect.

Why fortunately? What's your stake in it? Why do you care? I sure don't...

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 328
I don't either.

Anonymous

I have no stake in it. But I do enjoy watching you clowns react when the name Bose is mentioned.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 230
On the Ascend Boards whenever you type in Bose it comes out **** - a nice touch!

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 918
We don't react like psycho clowns, we simply tell it like it is.
Did you see anyone get all excited?

Don't the name calling.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 919
We don't act like psycho clowns, we simply call it like we see it when asked.

What do you contribute apart from name-calling?

Anonymous

Quite a bit actually. I'm sure there have been more useful posts by "Anonymous" than any other name.

What do you contribute Peter? I see you on lots of threads shooting the sh1t as it were, but not really contributing anything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Na!Bose sucks and to many Peter posts. No Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
My best friend has a Bose system because his wife's brother installed it and got them "a deal." He came over to our house to watch LOTR III and he couldn't believe my sound, this was with the new receiver but old speakers.

I told him I was upgrading my entire speaker system, minus the sub, for about $900 and his little face got all funny looking because his "deal" cost him over twice that for a third of the sound.

So, does this qualify as a contribution? I'm still waiting for my tiny little envelope, Don. I'm selling it to my friend so he can have 7.1 and then I can buy another pair of 170s and pocket $500.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Ok Anonym...you already got a lot of underserved attention now go to bed

Anonymous

Yes David, you have a real life example. That counts for something. Blindly bashing them however, does not. You still however have to acknowledge that they are designed as a "lifestyle system".

Zorro: I will soon.

Tawaun: I'm with you man. Screw Peter.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 231
"My best friend has a Bose system because his wife's brother installed it and got them "a deal." He came over to our house to watch LOTR III and he couldn't believe my sound, this was with the new receiver but old speakers.

I told him I was upgrading my entire speaker system, minus the sub, for about $900 and his little face got all funny looking because his "deal" cost him over twice that for a third of the sound."

Ooooh - Harsh. Ouch! The poor guy! Yikes! He must feel really bad!

Just listened to "Who Are You" at Live 8 on my bose 141s. Now my face is scrunched up funny!

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Anonymous,

ok I am curious.....what kind of speakers do you own?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 163
Anon your logic to equate gross sales with quality is akin to saying GM makes the best cars in the world just because they make and sell more cars.

Is this essentially your argument or am I missing something?

ANONYMOUSS
Unregistered guest
Bose 141 ??? lol ......get real !

http://search.ebay.com/bose-141-speakers-pair_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
Yeah Anonymous you hear me.Everyone have fun!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
- You still however have to acknowledge that they are designed as a "lifestyle system"

Anon, I'll agree with you there man. They sure are designed to look good.

But that's just my point, all they do is "look" good. If I spend so much for "speakers" who's primary objective is to deliver sound, well then my nameless friend, I'd rather have them "sound" awesome than "look" awesome.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Er...anon... are those your Bose speakers that are up for grabs on ebay?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 920
What do you contribute Peter? I see you on lots of threads shooting the sh1t as it were, but not really contributing anything.

LOL! Yeah, that's easy for you to dish out anonymous. I'm so impressed! I guess I'm contributed nothing next to your proping up Bose.

What's the point of arguing with an anonymous poster anyway. Anyone can impersonate him. Who's to say it's still the same person?

Maybe you and Tawaun are the same person? LOL! Too many Peter posts... LOL! Too many Tawaun personalities?

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Its not me if I wanna say sc..w you my post will pop up with my name you idiot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
It could be anyone. See, this is me, Shahrukh...

Anonymous

Zorro: I have naught but a modest Klipsch system.

Stof: I havn't said they make the best speakers. I am saying they are what they are, which is a lifestyle system. Audiophiles may hate them, but normal people (particularly women who aren't as concerned with these things, and yet amusingly enough have superior hearing) love them.

Anonymous

Ohh and yes Peter, it is pointless to argue with an anonymous figure. Yet you seem to do it with astonishing regularity. It's kind of funny really, in a sad sort of way.

Anonymous

Screw you anon. And you too anon!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Ok this is getting way too weird. Bose sux! Period!

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 233
Bose 141 ??? lol ......get real !

http://search.ebay.com/bose-141-speakers-pair_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1

I got the bose speakers as a portable system at a yard sale. ACtually I used to have 141s, but what I have is the "Bose Roommate" powered speakers - hooked up to my computer.

They work ok - I am not sure it is worth it to get something better. Maybe I will get a nad receiver and another cd player and use the Ascend 170s that the Bose are sitting on top of from my computer. But, it doesn't seem worth it - I don't listen to much music or do much of any gaming on the computer. So, the Bose Roommate Speakers seem fine.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Ok Klipsch is very decent. Obviously BOSE did not cut it for you either....so why all this dance ? Just to get on people's skin ?

You know and many people know that BOSE are way overpriced, that is the point, if people want to spend their money buying BOSE products that is their problem but, that does not take away the fact that BOSE takes advantage of the public's lack of knowledge which in my opinion is a very dishonest sales strategy.

Anonymous

Zorro: Precisely

As far as Bose goes, if it works for them, they may as well run with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
> As far as Bose goes, if it works for them, they may as well run with it.

Yeah, but that's wrong, isn't it?? All we're doin here is makin the people aware that Bose isn't really the gem they think it is. If they wanna ignore the warning and still go ahead and buy Bose because "they're a blast" (sic), there's nothing we can do to stop them.

Bose isn't hi-fi. That's all we're saying.

Unregistered guest
hey shahrukh,
been reading the thread,you may seem to be in position to help.i have a yamaha RX-V650 amp which is 7.1 system.kindly advise me about speakers.it will definately not be Bose.my room is small 6mtr x 4mtrs,i need wall mounted sattelites with decent sub.i listen to all kinds of music and would be watching movies too with pioneer DVD/Sony wega29" on same system. my budget is about 20-25K INR.i am based in Goa.contact at 'atmadesh@gmail.com'

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Atma, the Orbs would be a wee bit higher than your budget but you could check them out at www.orbaudio.com They have a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with them, so they're worth a try.
As far as wall mounts go, give Sonodyne Genie 2 a listen. Paired with the Roarr sub, they should pack enough punch for a room of your size.
Wharfedale's MovieStar series is also decent but I don't think they cut it for all kinds of music.
I dunno much about HiFi shops in Goa, but I don't think sourcing your stuff from Mumbai should be too much of a problem.

atmaram deshpande
Unregistered guest
thanks a bunch sharukh, i dont mind sourcing the spkrs from mumbai.pls give locations of few dealers for the brands you mentioned, who can meet my requirements and budget.what about polk or Hsu research,are they available in mumbai?what is your opinion about jbl or yamaha spkrs!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Yamaha sux! And I don't care much for the JBL sound - the Infinitis I like very much though. I dunno if HSU is available here - am lookin to hear em myself. The Polks are available at ProFX, Crossroads Mall. The wharfs are available all over the place.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Atma, If you're interested in the 8.1s I'm selling mine. As you can tell from my other threads, I'm lookin to pick up a pair of floorstanders.

Unregistered guest
sharukh,
give me the details..i seem to have lost the details of your set up.how old are yours?what price do you expect? by the way i have been offerd british 'Klegg' spkrs. they are avialable in 7.1 and shaped like eggs. sound good too.have you reviwed them.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 110
Anonymous - I agree that, in general, Bose bashers tend to go a little overboard in their criticisms. In actuality, they don't sound quite as bad as many bashers would make them out to sound. But they certainly don't sound nearly as good as Bose would have you believe. And that is why, I think, that the Bose bashers are so vehement -- the disingenuous, snake-oil like way Bose markets their products. They are more than willing to tell you that their speakers give you "premium sound performance" but are unwilling to share with you the specifications of those speakers. Why? What's can the big secret possibly be -- other than their frequency responses and sensitivity figures are abysmal when compared to other brands' similarly priced speakers.

I guess there's nothing inherently wrong with making a product as cheaply as you can and selling it for as much as you can. That's the American way. Bose seems to have taken the concept to an extraordinarily high level.

Anonymous

I just wonder for all those that bash Bose and say they are all "marketing", if they actually know anything about what marketing is. I am particularly curious since since marketing demands market research, analyzing customer needs, and delivering a product that satisfies those needs. In other words, it isn't synonymous with advertising like most people on the streets believe.

Of course, I would have to agree that they did an excellent job of marketing, but that is not to their fault. They just aren't marketing a product to the high end audiophiles.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 112
Anon - While they are not ALL marketing, their marketing seems to be disproportionate to their materials. Just think of how much better Bose speakers would be if Bose put about half of the money they spend on marketing into the speakers themselves.

Also, I think its a debatable philosophical question as to whether or not Bose is really satisfying "those needs." I mean, the people who end up buying Bose probably think that their needs (to have a system that delivers "premium sound") are being satisfied. But its kind of like someone buying a fake Rembrandt thinking they are buying the real thing. That person hangs the painting on his wall and just sits and gloats on it. But, it's not the real thing. He got taken. He's satisfied, but he's satisfied out of ignorance.

Anonymous

Either way, the market has to change its demands before Bose will ever change.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 540
Bose sells speakers with bottem end components in plastic cabinets for the same price as speakers made of wood, even marble, with top end crossovers and drive units.

Their speakers cost 3x as much as other speakers with the same build quality.

Despite this the general consensus among the public is that Bose makes the best speakers in the business.

Without marketing how does Bose maintain this image?

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 113
Well, as I suggested previously, Bose could take some of their marketing budget and put it into the manufacturing process. If that resulted in much better sounding speakers, their image would be maintained -- perhaps even enhanced.

But, I confess I know little about business and marketing so my theory might be all wet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Atma, if you like them go for them!!

As far as Bose is concerned, I guess we, on this forum, expect a few traits from a good speaker. Factors like frequency response, timing, imaging and so on, except for a wide (not necessarily detailed) soundstage, Bose just doesn't cut it.

Anonymous

"Without marketing how does Bose maintain this image?"

Replace the word marketing with advertising and I can concur with this to a degree. But even the best advertising in the world won't help a dog product. Coca Cola dumped over 1.5 billion into its failed new coke formula back in the 80's. You don't see it around anymore, do you?

Marketing isn't that simple; but yes Bose has excellent marketing practices. They know their target markets very well, and deliver what they want. When their demands change, likely so will Bose. After all, a good marketer knows how to evaluate the needs and wants of the market, and deliver the goods. Bose maintains customer value and satisfaction (the core of marketing is managing customer relationships after all). Thus they maintain their good name.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
This is turning into more of an MBA-ish thread than an Audioplhile thread ;)

tookie7155
Unregistered guest
i bet all you people with your powerfull systems make for some really anoying neighbors thats why bose is good , entertainment without being an anoying jerk in the neighborhood

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Au contraire tookie. Bose is just the system that would make your neighbours (not to mention those at hose at home) plug cooton wool in their ears or bang on your walls!!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1653
Step number one in building a 'rocking' home theater......

1.Move out of your closet apartment, and buy a home.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us