Arcam A32 or Bryston B60 for Nautilus 805

Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 1
Experts please help

What is a better choice, the Integrated Arcam A32 at 100W or the better recognised Bryston integrated B60 at only 60W?

Price is not the issue since down here (Mexico) both are sold at a very similar price. Range of 2,000 USD remote included

I am not looking for discotheque boost power but once in a while I like to hear music at 50% of my current Sony 50 Watt amp and that is about enough. I mainly listen to Jazz and New Age. Like deep bass although I know bookshelf speakers are limited by design in that area

Whats your recomendation to meet my needs and get the most out of the N805?

Thanks for your help.

Eduardo

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 702
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/amplification/integrated-amplif iers/bryston/PRD_115647_2717crx.aspx

You might want to read reviews on that sight.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/amplification/integrated-amplif iers/arcam/PRD_133663_2717crx.aspx

That's a lot to pay for them there - buy them used at www.audiogon.com or www.audioweb.com and save.

You might even think of krell kav300 integrated - sounded good with the 805. Can be had for about $1000

www.ebay.com is another place - but be careful with buying there - less reliable - talk to the seller and make sure return is possible, incase it's broken on arrival.

I got some good deals on all 3 sights. $2000 is too much to pay for the amps you mentioned.

What is your source?

Might want to use the computer as the source - with waveterminal u24, and a DAC, it makes a good sounding one - and so convenient to have all of your collection at your finger tip.

Post Number: 2
Thanks

I currently have a NAD C521BEE and will keep it for at least 6 months after buying the amp, then I will upgrade.

I know the price is expensive, that is due to taxes and duties.

Personally what would you choose?

Thanks a lot

Eduardo

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 718
I haven't heard the Bryston, but I like the sound of krell Kav-300 with 805, and like the sound a lot - transparent and dynamic.

Krell is a cut above arcam. Also will be more power than Bryston.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 628
James

That amp/speaker combniation would tear apart a computer source. That said, they'll make mincemeat of the 521 too.

Eduardo, the power is important, but not hugely so since it depends on how the amp delivers it to the speaker. The N805 is a ruthlessly revealing speaker. None of the amps I have seen mentioned here are really in the same league. I don't know the Bryston. The Arcam is OK but no great shakes. It's a bit warm which might help the system but my understanding is that Bryston is also a fairly warm sound.

The N805s really want to be driven by something in the next level up. The Krell integrated mentioned is in that ballpark, although it's not to my taste. I would prefer something like a Naim 202/200 or Chord amp, but these are fairly big money.

It's a question of balance I'm afraid. The source is very important and the better the end of the chain, the more important the source becomes in order to amplify a good signal instead of a bad one. The 521 is a musical player but it has its limitations in terms of resolution, soundstaging, space, pace, rhythm and timing. The speakers are excellent if a little dry for my taste. I hope you will not remain unsatisfied with the system until you have upgraded all the parts in the chain.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 256
They are both good amps. The Arcam has a lot more features to play around with and has more inputs. With the Arcam you can set the level for each input. The Arcam also has different volume setting levels.

Bryston has a new integrated amp out, the B 100 SST. It may be worth your while to check that one out as it has more power.

Bryston has a very neutral sound to their components. Some people think Bryston equipment sounds dry and lifeless and others find it to be bright sounding (I think most people's complaints are due to what is upstream or downstream in their system). I think Bryston equipment sounds just right. Bryston will give you a 20 year transferrable Warranty.

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot to all, I clearly get the picture

I know the Nad C521 is not at the level of the N805 and the amps we have discussed, but i will wait for 6 months after investing in my amp to upgrade

I will try the Krell KAV400 at a local dealer it is at the same price as the Bryston 100 integrated in the US so it could be a good buy in Mexico, 2700 US

How do you all compare Krell vs Bryston sound?????

Thanks a lot

Eduardo I

Silver Member
Username: Black_math

Post Number: 258
I don't think one is better than the other, sound wise. They both would do the job very well. The Bryston may sound a little more dry and the Krell should have a little more body. The Krell should have more power, but less inputs.

Silver Member

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 751
Frank,
That amp/speaker combniation would tear apart a computer source.

Many audiophiles are moving to a computer based setup - sounds better with lower jitter. Even many upscale CD players have jitter problem.

With waveterminal u24, the sound is pretty good. If you want more, you can add a good DAC, and the sound will equal some of the best CD players out there.

Also is so convenient to have your entire collection at your finger tips.

And the CD we buy can be improved up on by copying them to a hard drive, since they are pressed, and not burned slowely. If you do it right, you can improve the quality of CDs bought, by copying them on a computer - for the discriminating audiophiles.

Use EAC program to copy
Free on google search

Use Fuji made in Japan CDRs

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1098
James, I know many audiophiles and I know of none who are going to a computer based system. In fact quite the opposite they are turning back to tubes and vinyl. Anyone who is well read on the subject knows that the next hifi component of worth that represents a real change will be the music/movie server. It will be awhile before audiophiles find there quality up to the task.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 642
James

I agree with Art. Also, it's interesting (I think) that the true audiophile HiFi manufacturers don't appear to be rushing to come out with media servers and the like. There have only been very few so far - in fcat I can only think of one - Linn's Kivor. This is still around and hugely expensive for what it was originally. The forthcoming server from Chord Electronics which will be a souped up UVEM at megabucks is quite interesting as is Arcam's server, but these are very much niche products at the moment and discussions with other manufacturers have produced the same response - "we've tried it and it doesn't sound good enough yet".

This is obviously a growth market, but in the scheme of things it doesn't really figure yet. This could be because those who want media servers are generally computer-savvy and so build their own, or it could be that people just resist the concept for other reasons.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us