Films that responded between 20 and 40Hz...

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 565
Films that responded between 20 and 40Hz...

Upload
UploadUploadUpload
Home THX JBL playback for bass sub bass and LFE
Richter scale rating +10

Today I ran the remake version of "Flight of the Phoenix" though I still like the original with "James Stewart" but I was hoping "Dennis Quid" was going to give it a "Jimmy Stewart" style with the voice, oh well we cant always get can we.

As for the performances it could have gone with a bit more power edge of what was done in the original and where was the monkey?

As for music by "Marco Beltrai" Terminator 3 and "i, Robot" with this score there was less and more of "Johnny Cash" and other samples throw in, that was a disappointment.

As for six-track Dolby mix which was played with the centre back surround on, was atmospherically useful throughout the running time with details small and large without distortion playing, and keeping it spoilt free.

As for the low end usage, dame was I participation in the storm surrounding the small airplane, with massive power that soon overwhelmed it forcing the airplane to crash land in the barren "Gobi" desert, with frequency response from 20Hz to 40Hz mostly at 25Hz pressing on me and jolting me all at the same time at 110dbC weighting, very impressive, and scary too.

This sounded by far better than what can be, achieved in the poorest sounding cinemas in Bournemouth, they really do have to get with the times, has we may not have there kind of budget, it does seam embarrassing as why there letting the Dolby presentation decline to a level that sounds, like the 1960' where most Hi-Fi in the home was greater sounding, but over the course of years cinema got better, with the advent home cinema from its poorest sounding days with the technology restraints, today with Dolby dts digital decoding and THX sound completing the wholeness, "Flight of the Phoenix" is one that rises above most cinemas and leaving them in the ashes....

I will be looking at a few more films, within this range over the weekend and lots over the new week ahead...

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
Upload
Upload Upload
Richter scale rating +9

"Oh momma, oh mamma, this little piggy went to market"

"Under Siege" what a mix from 1992, the plot to take over the "U.S.S. Missouri" and unload her arsenal of nuclear weapons for sale to the highest bidder on the black market...

But there is a cook just a lonely little cook called "Casey Ryback" ex-"navy seal" played by (Steven Seagul) who decides to regain control of the "Missouri" and put a stop to it.

Now how did this perform over "Flight of the Phoenix" about 1db less than "Phoenix" with little down at 25Hz around 40Hz peaks, and "Foley" works like body punches that are felt with a thud in the chest.

Machine guns having little bass range over the "Foley" which stood out more on this mix.

Hardware like big weaponry, destroying aircraft with 108dbc weighting down at 40Hz, with the highest peak towards the end of the film sinking the submarine rising to 109dbC weighting with random frequency range from 25Hz on the low level side with highest peak at 40Hz.

Conclusion, this is why the Academy award went to "The Last of the Mohicans" more on that later, so if "Under Singe" had more of punchy sound mix energy of "The Patriot" 2000 it might have received the award.

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Happy Independence Day, U.S.A.
Upload

Upload
UploadUpload

"Independence Day" this has some rather menacing frequency response between 20Hz and 40Hz a whole lot of shaking going on, with some uninvited guests dropping in.

The opening of the film shakes the room so a meld calmness, only to get bigger later, when fleets of alien spaceships start appearing all over the planet with SPL rising to 110dbC weighting most at 40Hz peaks with "David Arnold" score music not necessarily being to Topy sounding.

Cars all of a suddenly hitting the back ends of each other, as the folks of New York gaze upwards towards the sky looking in utter amazement, as the ground shakes due to the sound waves, reflecting from the spaceships engines, with a +10 on the Richter scale.

It's been 9 years now since, "Independence Day" first opened in theatres and breaking box office records, to no surprise with its' groundbreaking state of the art visual effects, showing viewer the unbelievable, believing that the White house as been blow to utter pieces, along with other countries in the first alien attack strike....

This sound mix is to be used carefully hear, as it does have some damaging dynamic range levels, that if used carelessly will damage loudspeakers, the split-stereo surrounds have some low end that can be just as powerful than the LFE, depending on how the home cinema is set-up.

With multi-channel EQ applied, the overall brightness of the sound is tamed without the utter harshness and more bass edge.

Conclusion this plays very well in THX, along with wider frequency range and all the flow of bass from the centre and main channels, with all the little details begin presented clearly with louder ones having the cinema quality without distortion.

http://www.usacitylink.com/usa/

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Upload
UploadUpload
Richter scale rating +10

"The Lost World Jurassic Park" RUN! And has the T-Rex comes stumping around looking for a quick snack, and the ground shaking under the tons of foot pressure, this is a dts THX Laserdisc tour de force, there is so much of it "Skywalker Sound" must have been taking some drugs on this one the mix is a classic how on earth it didn't get nominated for best sound & sound effects editing, I will never know.
Upload

The high dts bit rate on the Laserdisc as more bite then the dvd, making it extinct, on the audio side, but with HD-DVD coming there maybe a re-release of it, that will have more Dyno-bite to it.

With frequency response ranging from 20Hz to 40Hz with peaks at 25Hz and 40hz, it's the 25Hz ones that create a menacing sound, and SPL reaching 110dbC weighting without the distortion, how they mixed it god knows, I like to sit in at there Dubbing stage or there stag theatre for 30Kw of THX power WOOOOOOOW MAN! 30Kw!!!!! Upload

Check out "Skywalker Sounds" new web page with virtual camera movement, and focus too...

Get the picture...

http://www.skysound.com/

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
Upload
UploadUpload

"Wyatt Earp" has some low end feel, this helps to add tension to gunfight scenes, like at the gunfight at the O.K. Corral Tombstone, Arizona, James Newton Howard's score just does that building up to that historical moment.
Upload

The split-stereo surrounds have western sound, with atmosphere, crickets in the backgrounds really do give an outside effect, and I'm there with the camp fire burning...
Upload

L.F.E is used sparingly with frequency response peaking at 25Hz and 40Hz during the films running time but when it comes in its slamming dynamic range hits you in the chest and gives a the realistic presences, of begin there, ricochets echo in the canyons with the last stand towards the films closing with a huge thunder clap sound.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 894
Man, what an impressive post!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 625
Upload
UploadUploadUpload

"Cast Away" is a story of isolation, and loss dame good viewing & leistering too, "Chuck" is a FedEx employee and has to make one more last delivery as he parts from his girlfriend at the airport saying "I'll be right back"

Though the he usage of low end is on the rare side hear, but it sets things up nicely for poor ole Chuck later on in the movie....
Upload

From the loud sounds that open the film, to the airplane crashing in the middle of the ocean, with what precedes it, is a rush of air decompression and 25hz and 40Hz peaks knocking you back as the jet airliner hits the water with a jolt in the chest you grip the sides of chair, the howling wind the crashing of waves as one wave hits another with the sounds of the jet engines reaching a high pitching sound, as the turbines are still turning, "chuck" looks upwards towards these huge engines, as they start to come crashing down into the ocean with huge explosion as cold sea water and hot engines do not mix well KABOOM.
Upload

After washing up on the score line, of this uninhabitable island, with no one around, no one to talk, to and no way of getting off it.
Upload

This film played very well and "Alan Silvestri" score fading in when chuck finally makes it of the island gives you lump in the throat,
Upload

Later on when it plays again later this time chuck finally lets go of "Kelly" that score gently playing under the sound of poring rain "chuck" says goodbye to "Kelly."
Upload

Towards the end we see chuck delivering the "FedEx" mail that's 4 years behind schedule once he has dropped of the package he heads outwards and stopping at the crossroads, looking at the map for directions a passer-by stops he asks for directions and she points him in the right direction, as she drivers off "chuck" can see it was her, the woman that he delivered the package to, to me that makes me smile as "chuck" turns around standing alone in the middle of nowhere looking around to see which way he should drive, the stillness of the whispering wind blowing, and "Alan Silvestri" score giving you that lump in the throat again feeling dame good.
Upload

Though the film as a 2Hr 18Min running time and may seam to be slow, I can't help wondering what it must feel like to be in that situation,

Hallo is there anyone there?

"Randy Thom" as used the usage of sound to play a big part in the film and "Ken Ralston" visual effects siding the imagination of Robert Zemeckis" Bob as used Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound for there remarkable contributions to sights that are spectacular and sounds so realistic it's like the wholeness is complete.
UploadUploadUploadUpload

http://www.editorsguild.com/newsletter/MayJun01/sound_cast_away.html

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 199
Das boot,U571

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 200
Jamangi,Dontaes Peak,Deep Impact,DAS Boot,U-571

Silver Member

Post Number: 750
cheers

Tawaun A.Williams

Well the following films like U-571 Deep Impact and Dante's Peak, I know for sure they sub bass response across the fronts and the split-stereo surrounds are down too 25Hz and the LFE as well, though "Das Boot" I have read about the r-mixing of this classic Wolfgang Peterson's film as a tour de force, I have seen it on videotape before DVD was even an idea, so I will keep it on the DVD film list as the prices are dropping on DVD's and with the newer HD-DVD on the horizon, I'm saddened that for some like those who have lost there lives in the London disaster last week, man I'm totally down though I haven't felt depressed in a few months now, that's all I have to say.

sorry no pictures i'm just not my self tonight
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us