Speaker question. Receiver suggestion. HELP PLEASE

Pirate
Unregistered guest
I have Klipsch Synergy F-2 floorspeakers with a Synergy C-1 center. I also have rear sony speakers (old ones) and a 12'' Klipsch powered woofer.

Anyway, the salesmen at BB (which I have a hard time listening to and believing) said I could get away with this Yamaha HTR 5830 receiver. It was $200, 110w x 5 (i only use 5.1), and had all the inputs i need. SO, i bought it.

However, I get a little distortion at times and some muddy/crackled noise at other times from my front speakers.

Should I use a better receiver for these speakers? Could someone recommend one around 350-500 dollars? Or would different speakers be altogether a better idea?

At the new Magnolia HT in BB i found a pair of Boston VR1's for $299ea. These are the the most inexpensive set that Magnolia HT carry in BB... am I better off with the Klipsch F-2's?

Any opinions will help immensly... I know there is much conversation regarding quite high end equipment within these threads... but what I have discussed falls within my price range right now. So please offer your input with respect to the Klipsch, Boston, etc. etc.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 17
That Yammie, even though it's rated at 110w x 5... I'd be surprised if it put out half that power. And pushing an underpowered amp to the point that it's crackling and distorting can and will damage your speakers.

The Klipsch speakers are decent budget speakers and they are definitely not the problem, although they may be a little bright paired with any Yamaha amp/receiver. I would recommend an HK or a Marantz to replace that 5830. You can get great deals on refurbished HKs from Harman Direct on Ebay, and there have been some steals on Marantz AVRs on Ubid (although none recently). If you do like the HKs, do not worry about their power ratings, as they are notoriously conservative. They also have a much warmer sound than the Yamahas.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 169
Usually, the distortion I think you are talking about comes from an under-powered receiver. Does it do this only at high volumes, or at any given time? If it is at high volumes, the receiver is most likely underpowered for the demands you are placing on it. If this is the case, no speaker is really going to eliminate this problem, you need a higher powered receiver.

By the way - just because the receiver is rated by Yamaha at 110 watts 5 doesn't mean it truly is. There is no accross the board standard that manufacturers have to follow. This is why people say things like 50 NAD or Harmon/Kardon watts are better than 100 Sony watts.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 170
Sorry for the redundancy - Ziggy and I were probably writting at the same time.

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 19
Impressive that the 2 posts were so similar!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 892
I also doubt that the speakers are the problem. I hear that the new synergy are supposed to be much improved over the previous models, so the F-2 should be a pretty good speaker and it has high efficiency to boot so you shouldn't need glob of power to run them. Try another receiver if you can.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 173
Sick minds think alike huh?

Pirate
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the posts. I'm influenced that the distorting is due to the receiver.

I found a Denon 1750 for $400. Would this do me justice?

One more question. Between the Klipsch F-2's I've described and the Boston VR1's, which would be the better speaker to go with? It seemed the Bostons had more clear highs than the Klipsch, but I can only base this on what I heard in the store and with whatever they had them hooked up to.

So, the Bostons or the Klipchs?

Thanks again.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 177
Try to hear the the speakers side by side in your home. Since you already have the Klipsch's, get the Bostons and A/B them. Whichever isn't up to standards could go back. Just make sure that you can take either one back. As for the receiver, no experience with it personally, sorry.

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 21
I think he meant Denon 1705. If so, it will likely sound slightly warmer than the Yamaha, but the lower-end Denons are not much better as far as overrating power. And build quality is not all that great on their lower-end models these days either. The July/August issue of Sound and Vision mag (just arrived today) had good things to say about both the Marantz SR4500 ($430 list) and Pioneer VSX-815 ($395 list). And I'll still contend that the refurb HKs for the same price will sound as good or better than either of those.

Pirate
Unregistered guest
How bout between the Klipsch and Boston speakers, what do you think?

Bronze Member

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 22
I have no idea on the speakers, as I've had little experience with the Klipsch and none with the BAs.... speakers are highly subjective, and Stu's recommendation to A/B them if possible is spot-on.

Pirate
Unregistered guest
Thanks again. I'm stuck with my purchases. I got a free 12in Klipsch with a $700 (i spent more than that, but thats the minimum) purchase of any speakers and receiver. I can do an exchange on the Klipsch for the Bostons and most definately with the receiver. I checked out that Pioneer vsx815 online... it seems excellent. A .2% rating.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us