What is your favorite speaker you dont own and why it can be for different seasons

Bronze Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 30
I just wanna get a idea what people really want in speakers get an idea what kind of sound they are after.If the speakers they currently have in away similar to what they might want in the future or if it is something you can never afford you can also have more than one choice it can be expensive or affordable but im pretty sure if its something else you want it probably costs more.So entries please!

Edster911
Unregistered guest
I love all the speakers of the SDAT line. I wish I owned some...I am looking for crappy sound that makes Sony look like Sonus Faber.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Tawaun,
Like I said this MoFo is an impostor....Ignore him

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 526
Has close to the cinema event has possible, and I know for a fact that the JBL control 5 three-screen matching, well they come close with a little EQ and the use of an active X-over on the centre channel and balanced using room RTA & SPL metre as well, the low end max is around 45Hz at 90dbC weight in the middle of the room 14xL 10xW 9xH not bad, with some clever mixing techniques using an audio mixer I can get the illusion there bigger than they are.

But when the time comes when the money is ok JBL cinema PA application is on the list, and as for the sub bass I'm using the classic JBL 4645 THX professional with modifications, dame this gives true cinema signature sub bass feel, without compromising the competition of the L.F.E or any sub bass signal sent to it and with a max SPL of 120db C weighting, though it's not particle to do this all the time due to safety regulations....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
How much are those they are impressive were they reviewed in Hi-FI Choice

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
No I'll send a like to the page where you can pick some up for as little as £400.00 UK price dame that is cheep.....and such choice too....

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
Hear you go look down the page for the sub bass JBL 4645
The one I'm using didn't come from this site, as for the one I'm using, gfor the past 7 years now and not a hitch with it.....

http://www.fproj.com/used/speakers.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
So what do you think about JBL K2 S9800

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Zorro what about you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 529
Hear is a picture of the JBL 4645 Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
I have this neighbour above me and she plays loud music I mean loud for all to hear because she as the widows wide open.

As for the JBL 4645 professional this vibrates her @ss when she sits on the toilet, she said so to me and when I went into my studio flat I creased up, that was so dame funny....

And a 20Hz sine wave rattles the hell at of the building, at just 110dbC weighting.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
What are some of your favorite current speakers on the market?

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
JBL studio models like the JBL control 10 & 12 SR if I can get hold of three of them & the SVA series...plus lots more.

Did you know JBL was at the birth of motion picture sound in 1927 "The Jazz Singer" & have picked up the academy Award for technical excellence.

And are used at the Samuel Goldwin theatre in Los Angeles, oh yeah true story & that is why for 16 years I have been using JBL......

With so many nicknames like Jedi Blasters & lightsabers, I know crazy isn't it & Just Bl00dy loud, too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I always wanted to hear the SVA series but they didnt push them over hear in the states.I envy you guys over there in the UK its mostley retail stores over here except for certain areas,but i did get to here the hls series i loved them i almost bought them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
What stopped you Tawaun, I know the price is costly too, "He waits, that's all he does, & that fat drummer beats his drum" good things come too those who wait, Tawaun, that's all I do no rush at all....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Actually they were cheap cver here about $350.00us here i ended up buying a home theater system.I wish i would have got them i never liked the Klipsch the hls had imediacy to them that i have rarely heard to this day that was about 10 years ago i still regret it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
Tawaun.

Hear is a picture of the JBL SVA series Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
If we had lots of these loudspeakers why, hell we can open are own Hi-Fi shop as I wouldn't have enough room to swing a cat.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Yeah i remember them they were the line above hls i cant imagine how they sounded and its funny im not a fan of a horn loaded speaker but i always loved jbl horns.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
But my eyes are set upon these beauties, the JBL 4675-A and if you look on the "future projections" cinema professional page, arr bugger, they have sold out of them...

Oh well hears a small picture of them to wet the mouth

The girl in the picture shows the size of them & the other image shows a fuller view of it....

That's what I have my eyes on....

UploadUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
They look like Darth Vader's own home cinema PA's don't underestimate the power of the JBL Just Black Lovely, beauties.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 540
May I also add to this is all you need, as nearly all film dubbing studios use JBL, around 85% of the worlds cinemas use JBL and three matching JBL 4675-A is all you need in the home cinema arena, and you will be hearing and feeling more of what is lost on the small brands, the mix will be heard and complete too....

And as for music they will be on the money, further more the sound will be easy to control too.

And there are plenty of ex-cinema JBL 4675-A PA applications out there, it's knowing where to look and it helps as I'm a former cinema projectionist, for UCI & Warner village cinemas UK, so gang if any one of you has the means I highly recommend this there such choice....

So Tawaun, you haven't got a crush on them & not the girl in the picture, well maybe her too, as she can love, and likening the loudspeakers yes....

I do like them a whole lot......

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1010
Tawaun I would say beyond a doubt the Wilson Maxx 2's. With the lights out driven by Halcro amps using a Linn CD player or Clearadio rig this is big enough system to pass for the real thing. Best I've ever heard by a distance.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 58
Mine would have to be the Cadence Arca. Has anyone heard them?
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 602
Andy

I really don't get where you're coming from regarding JBL. Yes they make a few good speakers (only a few) but many JBLs aren't that good musically. As to film studios, Skywalker Sound, 20th Century Fox, Dolby Labs and dts all use M&K speakers in their studios. The very THX definitions are all done through M&K speaker systems.

Art, Wilson MAXXs? Nah mate, not for me. Too warm and blurred for my liking.

My choices would be (in no particular order):

For music - Dynaudio Evidence Temptations or Masters, Wilson benesch Chimera, Naim DBL (an odd choice I know).

For HT - M&K S-150PK and M&K MX-350 sub.

Reasons for not having the above? 1. Price. 2. Size (the music speakers are huge). 3. Space (my room's too small to have the music speakers and those HT speakers in the same room). 4. I'd have to upgrade the rest of mys system bigtime to be able to cope with these speakers...cue the other 3 reasons again.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 503
I have to agree Frank, I run JBL's for the home theater and like them fine but for music they are quite bright and a little muddy. That is why I have ordered some Bohlender-Gaebener Z-1's along with an old NAD 3240 integrated to get a little more from my music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Well guys this is getting interresting,well you its good when someone doesent like a 100k speaker.Since its my thread I guess it would be agood time for me to list mine:The aerial Accoustics 20t ah so lovely so good actually a bargain for all the things they do right.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 2058
"As to film studios, Skywalker Sound, 20th Century Fox, Dolby Labs and dts all use M&K speakers in their studios."

Actually Frank, Skywalker Sound now uses B&W Nautilus 802's surround system: see
http://www.bwspeakers.com for pics.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 614
Interesting. And I see they use Chord amps with them. My favourite...

Another interesting thing (in my view anyway), they went from M&K S150PKs at around $4000 each inclusding built-in amplification to Nautilus 802s at around £4000 ($7500) plus Chord amps (upwards of £2000 or $3500 each). So they've more than doubled the money on the amp/speaker combinations - unless they got a really good deal.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 545
They do in fact use M&K and B&W as near filed, when it comes to the big boys stuff the big dubbing stages then the JBL come into play that is where the film sound is born....

And that is where is will be at its best and if, I may be bold in saying this if your home is big enough use some of the big towering JBL 4675-A as ex cinema PA they are so dame affordable to pick up next to the over priced B&W which do look nice though.

But how many of you have heard them, well for me not once including the M&K as well, has for the JBL 4675-A lots of times and in a grand THX cinema they show the true colours, hell hearing and felling Star Trek III the search for spock in 70mm six-track Dolby stereo A type, processed by the Dolby CP-200 and via the Lucasfilm THX sound system monitor 3417 at the CIC Empire Leicester Square screen #1, was scary fun.

And the scene where Captain Kirk's son gets kill that knife sound effect hit me in the chest, with no colouring of the sound or distortion what so ever and yes if I had the money I'll have three JBL 4675-A in the room.....

B M M
Unregistered guest
I like this one. It has two 8" drivers. two 5" mids, and one 1" soft dome tweeter".

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us