How important is speaker sensitivity?

Bronze Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 11
There are very highly reviewed speakers that I want to consider but they have a lower sensitivity rating than other speakers that I am considering also.

89 db seems to be average.

But is a drop down to 86 db speakers very bad?

For example -

Now Hear This! SB-2 --
51Hz to 22kHz
86db
150 Watts

Now Hear This! SB-3 --
39Hz- 22kHz
175 Watts
86db???

Paradigm Atom --
70Hz to 20Khz
86 db
80 Watts

Paradigm Titan --
60Hz to 20kHz
86 db
100 Watts

Epos ELS-3 -
65Hz-20KHz
87db
100 Watts
4 ohms nominal

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 -
69Hz to 20kHz
89db
200 Watts

Axiom M3ti --
60 to 22kHz
88 db
175 Watts

Axiom M22ti --
60Hz to 22kHz
89db
200 Watts

Energy C-3 --
46Hz to 23kHz
89db
125 Watts

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 --
42Hz to 22kHz
90db
100 Watts
6 Ohms

Unfortunately also, some of the speakers with the higher sensitivity don't seem to have as broad of a frequency response (Ascend CBM-170)

Please discuss!

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 477
Hallo there

Tim.

Can I call you Tim , for short that's one long name.

Any why the sensitivity based one the 1watt @1meter for loudspeaker loudness with pink noise testing determining the robustness of it, something like that, why Jan can fill a not more of the blacks in hear.

As for the front loudspeakers in any professional cinema they must be the same and the same applies to the home cinema as well.

Cutting corners will result in poor edge performance with dynamics from the softest voice sound to the loudest yelling screaming sound to the artificial fabrication of explosions.

The higher the sensitivity the better, if I had the money I'll have some high performance JBL cinema loudspeakers for the fronts and they some in all shapes and sizes from single 15in cab with Horn compression two dual 15in cab sizes with huge 3 foot square Horns like the JBL 2360-A which as a sensitivity of around 130db wow no problems there with that little girl from "Aliens" newt screaming to the top of her lungs.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 882
The difference between 86 and 89 is 3 dB, or a doubling of power. It's not so much that I'd worry about it unless you will be using these in a large room.

An efficiency of 89 dB is decent but close to average. You won't see a lot more unless you go to horn-loaded speakers, which don't all sound very good until you spend a little more. Add some Klipsch to the lineup above and you'll see some bigger efficiency numbers (or JBL or Cervin Vega).
For example:

Klipsch B-3 (bookshelf)
55Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
93.5 dB
85 w (340 w peak)
8 ohms

Klipsch RF-25 (floorstanding)
45Hz-20kHz ±3dB
97dB
125 w max continuous (500 w peak)
8 ohms

If I were not wanting to spend too much overall, I'd stay away from 4 and 6 ohms speakers and stick with 8 ohms. Your unexpensive receiver will be happier driving them and will sound better.

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 249
Without going too in depth, every 3dB drop in sensitivity requires double the power to drive the speaker to the same volume, all other things being equal. As a result, it is generally beneficial to have a speaker with high sensitivity.

"Unfortunately also, some of the speakers with the higher sensitivity don't seem to have as broad of a frequency response (Ascend CBM-170) "

Not really. The Klipschorn is plenty sensitive and has a fine frequency range.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 883
Andy,

Why are you assuming that this is for HT?

Silver Member
Username: Stealth_c

Dublin, CA USA

Post Number: 250
Ohh and Andy, it is for a 2.83 volt input, which translates to 2 watts at 4 ohms, and 1 watt at 8 ohms.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 884
Since Stephen brought 'em up:

Klipsch Klipschorn
33Hz-17kHz± 3dB
104dB @ 1watt/1meter
100 w max continuous (400 w peak)
8 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 137
I honestly think that Andy is "special."

Who's with me?

He does make me laugh every time he posts though.

Since I bartended at a brew pub in college, I'm going to a beer brewing message board and start calling myself an expert over there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
Headroom that's the word I was looking for setting for the max peak 85dbA weighting which will exceed this level, by a few db for argument sakes there will be plenty of headroom with lower distortion values within audio tolerances, so if you like to experiment in this, there is harm doing so.

And B-chaining the sound system over what you are using at present boy the differences will be huge active X-over units is the way with low going to the LF range of the bass spectrum from 20Hz to 500Hz and from 500Hz to 20Khz for the high frequency HF range with higher highs, to say that there will be less distortion.

If by any chance your loudspeakers have Bi-wireable go and buy an "Active" X-over units at least 3x for the fronts with adjustable frequency range settings as some come pre-fixed at 20Hz to 500Hz to 20KHz with 18db octave down slops, and sending 500Hz to 20Hz into your small HF tweeter will create distortion due to the low sensitivity and it's frequency range and will later burn the voice coil out.

So finding a "Active" X-over with adjustable frequencies, so that you can address the correct frequency to each driver element.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 139
Andy-
Hallo there!!!
Who asked about any of this? Here you go again.

Do we need more proof of him being 'special?' 478 posts of it and counting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
That's right Stu, I'm someone special, in fact we all are we all know what we know!

To some degree we learn everyday that's what makes us human, life is trial & error.

So Stu, it's what we do that can help the other out with as many possible options that counts.
Upload

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 140
Timothy -
In my opinion highly efficient speakers aren't as accurate as lower efficiency ones for the most part. The highly efficient speakers that are very accurate tend to cost multiples of the speakers that you mentioned. There are a few exceptions - Klipsch always comest to mind. This is my opinion based on my experience. But I have heard many others say the same thing.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 141
Andy -
Hallo There!!!

Great pic!!! You really made my day!!! No more Hallo There!!!?

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
HALLO THERE

Stu, is that better, need I say it twice, I'm only being polite.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 144
I thought you said it every time and weren't saying it to me any more. My fault.

Silver Member

Post Number: 484
HALLO THERE STU,
My hero
Upload

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 147
Does that mean you're my b i t c h?

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
Not at all, any way lets go back to are world of professional cinema Hi-Fi and home cinema.

Shall we dance?

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 149
You're a good guy Andy, I like you... Not like that though.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1478
Andy,
Lay off the pics man...geeez.

Tim,
As far as sensitivity goes, it depends on what type of listening you do. for some, a high level of sensitivity is important. For example, if you like to blast your movies/music on occasion, having a high sensitivity will make an obvious difference. If not, then it wont matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioholic

Post Number: 74
"For example, if you like to blast your movies/music on occasion, having a high sensitivity will make an obvious difference. If not, then it wont matter"

Won't matter of course unless you have a low powered amplifier.....then it will matter....and matter plenty too.

Bronze Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 23
"Won't matter of course unless you have a low powered amplifier.....then it will matter....and matter plenty too"

and what would you consider a low powered amplifier?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us