JM LAB Chorus 706S OR Wharfedale diamond 9.1

Steven 302741
Unregistered guest
JM LAB Chorus 706S VS. Wharfedale diamond 9.1

I'm looking at getting one of these speakers soon. I can get them for about the same price, so ignoring price which would you choose. I'm leaning towards the 706S because of the larger mid/bass unit, but the 9.1 got a WhatHiFi award. So I need help.

To be used with NAD bee amp and cdp in a smallish room. Musical tastes: rock, metal, blues, and bit of everything else.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 222
I like JmLab but after audiotioning them both, I find JMLab's always lacking in bass. I would go with the Wharfedale but I like both. Hard to say. Can you try them?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 985
I like the JMLab. Very good sound with good electronics.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 128
I haven't heard the JM's, but I didn't care at all for the Wharfedale's. That is just my opinion. Trust your own ears and not some magazine that praises a product one day and bashes it the next. Make sure that you listen to anything you buy beforehand.

As an alternative, have you heard the PSB's? I too own the 320BEE and it sounds great with PSB's.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 225
I never listened to the bookshelf models of the new diamond series but I can tell you that the big 9.6's are very detailed and have great bass down to 28hz that is not muddy like my AXIOMS were. They also weigh over 50lbs each and are pretty large.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 595
The Focal JMLab has a tighter faster, leaner presentation than the Wharfedale. My view is that the Focal is the better speaker, and by some margin. For me, the Wharfedale is a bit too bassy (woolly?) for its own good making a safe but ultimately less satisfying sound.

The 706S would be a pretty good match with the NAD amp, although it is a 4 ohm load so it's a little harder to drive than the Wharfedale.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 228
I agree with you but I like that sound as I found the JM's to lean and a little bright but tastes are different. My local dealer thrives by this brand and would love for me to buy them but there not for me.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 597
Hey, one man's poison and all that...

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Grifter_sg

Brisbane, QLD Australia

Post Number: 2
Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up getting the Chorus 706S new (I think) off of ebay for a decent price. I didn't audition any speakers this time around because I really just wanted something cheap to get me by till I finish rebuilding my ARdiy speakers, and I feel like at the price bracket I was shopping in auditions were not very practical. Hopefully I don't regret it.

My system now consists of:
Amp: NAD C320 bee
Cdp: NAD C521 bee
Interconnect (amp/cd): Concord interconnect
Speakers: JM Lab Chorus 706S
Stands: DIY MDF stands filled with sand
Speaker wire: generic wire from electronics store
Tuner: Yamaha T-700 natural sound
Dvd player/music jut box: XBOX
TV: Sony Trinitron 51cm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums