Can I play through my computer?

Username: Jjsurprises

Post Number: 1
I am trying to find out if its possible to use my computer and its speakers as an amp, kinda like plugging in through the mic jack to play my bass-and having the sound come out of the computer speakers. How can I do this?? I already went through the dammned xp tutorials and it sucked!

Bronze Member
Username: Music_man

Post Number: 30
Im not to sure, but you could try getting an adapter for the mic port (the "Big" to "Little" jack adapter), I did that for my Keyboard (musical keyboard)and microphone to record. However keyboards are normally powered, so thats just a suggestion.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 436
um, how would you play anything through a mic jack? the mic jack is an input, not an output. computer speakers have amps built in somewhere whether it be in the sub unit or in one of the speakers. dont really know what you are looking for. can you try articulating your needs again and maybe we can help you better.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 166
I think its very unlikely your idea will work jerry. You wont get any amplification from just a computer and some speakers unless the speakers are active (self powered). You said you want to use the speakers and something for bass. Well then get a subwoofer or a surround system. They're not expensive and are by far better than those cheap 2.0 systems that usually come with computers.
You wont be able to use the onboard sound and a soundcard at the same time.
Im not completely sure what your trying to do..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
When he says Bass, im pretty sure he is talking about the musical instrument, bass guitar, but yes a subwoofer would produce a bass sound like a pro. Jerry, I'd stick with getting a real bass guitar amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
o lol i think i completely missed the point! nm jerry

Username: Hammondrckr

Post Number: 5
I would say you COULD but I wouldnt...I think you would wind up blowing something (speakers/amp) if you try useing your bass through it because a bass signal takes more power to amplify than treble (I wanna say like 3x more but Im not sure)
thats just my 2 cents

~alan

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 694
You can if your speakers have a sub - Instead of plugging the speakers into computer, try plugging it into your bass - get a bigger male connector from a radioshack (explain to them what you are trying to do).

If it works, you can even get a Y spliter at radio shack to connect both your bass and the computer.

The sound will not be good though - you might want to get a speaker amp box at your music store.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
"Instead of plugging the speakers into computer, try plugging it into your bass"

How exactly do you plain on powering these speakers?

Username: Ensomniac

Gresham, Oregon USA

Post Number: 4
What you could do is buy a soundcard that has 1/4" inputs instead of the standard 1/8" and buy a DI box...M-Audio makes a good sound card for under $100 (Delta Audiophile 2496) and Behringer makes a DI box around $20-$40 (DI-100-->note I don't know if these work for Bass' but their Bass boxes out there)...but your going to want to spend some money on a DAW like Steinberg Cubase or Cakewalk Sonar (or home studio, but Sonar is their flagship program) Because The sound recorder in windows is not a pretty one for music recording. And the way technology is moving, Home recording has and is becoming more and more affordable for amateur musicians...

{BTW Pro Tools is industry standard...but buying a digidesign set up will set you back some bills}

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 448
i love how people post here and never come back. what the hell happened to jerry?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Its only been 4 days since the topic started..give him a chance!
But you have a general point, a lot of topics are made and you never hear again from the person who started it!
lol

Unregistered guest
would i be able to play my bass guitar through just an 18 inch subwoofer powered by an amplifier of about 1200 watts RMS? and if so would it be any different than playing through a regular bass amp?

Anonymous

I've gotten it to work by connecting the guitar directly to some self-powered PC speakers, but not through the PC itself. Still, it came in very quiet, and I'm afraid you're likely to be S.O.L. with the amplification a bass is gonna need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us