Quailty bookshelf speakers

mcw
I looking to buy bookshelf speakers around 250-350 price range. I have auditioned the PSB Image 2b speakers. They sound very good for classical music, however, they are a bit small for my midsize to large room. Are there other speakers that I should consider? I am planning on buying an Onkyo SR600 to match. (80 watts)

Anonymous
Of course all the big names: Paradigm, Athena, Energy, Polk, Monitor Audio, B&W, NHT. Acoustic Energy, Infinity, etc. There are hundreds of speaker companies. I'd definately read reviews, but mainly LISTEN to them in person. Specs can only tell you so much. Hear the imaging/dispersion, frequency response, etc.--all the stuff they tell you to check out. It has to be what you like and enjoy. These are the speakers that I am partial too (since this is what I bought):

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/1468.html#POST4998

-C

Ivan One
The best bookshelf speakers that i have auditioned are the Klipsch RF-5 or if you have a bigger budget try the Energy Veritas 2.2

mark
i'd go for kef coda 70 or wharfedale diamond 8.2 which are among the VERY BEST speakers (for that price) out there in the world.

Paul T
Look at Polk, Paradigm or Klipsch for starters... I've been hunting for hi end bookshelf speakers myself to replace my B&W 2004 monitors (a little to large for new bookcase unit we are building). So far these are my top three picks, actually listened to the KEFs side by side next to the Paradigm studio 40s.. KEFs sounded a bit dull next to them.. Klipsh are very bright prob due to horn loaded tweeter, not a bad thing, very clean sound.. Leaning toward the Polk LSi7s or LSi9s, they have a rear power port plate which allows the speaker to be near a back wall.. Plus the Polks are very clean and smoooooth sounding.. Only problem is they are a 4 ohm speaker so I will be upgrading my yamaha receiver to a NAD... handles 4 ohm speaker much better and a step up in quality... happy hunting, sure is fun looking isn;t it :)

Trent Davis
I have limited experience with bookshelf speakers but I bought a pair of Klipsch RB-3s recently and I love them. 94 db sensitivity takes a load off your amplifier and the clear highs, and nicely blended midrange have amazed me on vocals. I'm sure there are better speakers, but I've been impressed by these so much that I'm now switching to an all-Klipsch Reference system. Just my two cents!

Go for the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's and you won't be dissapointed.

Max
Hey,
Heres a another option check out the bookshelves on Axiom Audio.com. They have some nice bookshelves as do the others mentioned above.
Good luck,
Max
P.S. Those psb's ARE nice...

mazzi
Anybody knows anything about the Ascend CBM-170???
I would appreciate any information regarding these speakers. From what I have read, they seem too good to be true for $360.00/ pair. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Best sounding bookshelf speaker in you price range is the Monitor Audio B2's PERIOD. The sound is unbeatable for this price point. PSB or Wharfedale Evo's are also an option. Try to listen to these three and I'm sure you'll be pleased with one of them for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us