Research results - best speakers under $350!

Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 5
I posted the same thread at 4 different stereo message boards about the most recommended speakers under $350, in order to gather as much information as I could.

The following is what I found:

The highest recommended speaker was the Epos ELS-3.

But that speaker has a 4 Ohm impedance and would probably pose a problem to me while shopping for a budget receiver.

Very close seconds were:

Paradigm Performance Atom and Titan (though I do not know why the Focus wasn't mentioned more because it is higher in the line of the previous 2 and still fell under my price range),

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170,

NHT SB2 and SB3,

Axiom M3ti (and I saw the M22ti's at their website, which impressed me a lot and made me think about bumping up my price range another $90 or so!),

and then various speakers by Tannoy,

the Monitor Audio Bronze B2,

and the Energy C-3's

Please discuss further, as I am getting ready to make a decision in the next week or 2!

Again, average room, various music and movies -

6 identical speakers all the way around for a Dolby 6.1 system.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
Well... understand that my opinion is somewhat biased, but I love the Energy C-3s. They provide a great balance of mids/highs with tight usable bass and excellent imaging. I have also heard nothing but great things about the Ascends. And while I haven't heard the Monitor or Tannoy bookshelves, I have been very impressed with the floorstanders from both of them. Ultimately you need to listen to a bunch and see what works best for you - your equipment and your preferred listening; i.e. movies vs. music, rock vs. jazz, vs. classical... try to compare several with as narrow a range of variables as possible - same source material, same or similar amps, etc. It's your money, and ultimately your decision. Trust your own ears as opposed to ours, as you have to live with your decision.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 151
Epos ELS-3:
Yeah I was really interested too but 4 ohm means buying another receiver.

Paradigm Performance Atom and Titan and Focus
I listened to all three and bought the Titans about 7 years ago. I really liked the bass. Same as the atom with bass. But when you look at the graphs you realize I was really a noob - BIG BASS HUMP - which eventually made me consider Axioms.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 - I have a pair but can't say I have listened enough to form a definite opinion. About equal to the Axiom M22s, maybe better. Probably a little better than the Axiom M3s I had - last summer for about three weeks.

NHT SB2 and SB3 - I heard one of the NHTs - maybe the SB1 - I am not sure. Sounded boxy (too much unhelpful echoes inside) compared to the small Totem speakers at the shop. Totem may be 4 ohm as well.

Axiom M3ti - nice, more laid back than the M22s.

M22ti - based on the majority opinion on the Axiom site I went for the more forward sound of the M22s over the M3s. More detail in high end.

Tannoy - never heard them

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 - never heard them

Energy C-3's - heard they were very good - better than Axiom M3s.

Look at me giving advice - old stone ears. It takes me about two months to decide what I think of a speaker.

Anonymous

Have you gentlemen considered a DIY job? It would be cheaper and you could damp and brace them to your hearts content.

Post Number: 6
Are the NHT SB3's in my price range? Are they better than the SB2's?

I saw and read about the Axiom M22ti's and was VERY impressed!

And if I could bump it up to $440 a pair, I am sure that would open up a whole new can of worms!

What speakers are comparable to / better than the M22ti's...in the same price range?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 112
Hey, I'm very impressed by the two new CBM-170s so far, but only about 10-15 hours of listening so far - mostly rock, jaww and HT. Very neutral with excellent midrange and treble response. Can't help ya with much else, yet. I'm still looking but my list is much shorter than yours, i.e., Paradigm, Axioms possibly and BA VRs, and if I can find them, the Energy series for Ziggy.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 154
Axiom M22s compared to Ascend CBM 170s

Various reviews from the Axiom boards.(One group of three: About equal was their take on it.)

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Advice&Number=12005&pag e=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=HT&Number=13228&page=&v iew=&sb=&o=&vc=1

There is also a comparison on the Axiom list of the Ascend 340s and the M22s - came out about the same, though I think the 340s are definitely better than the 170s on most material (from what I have heard).

Having both the ascends 170 and the Axiom M22 I must say my wife is a very understanding woman!

And, I agree with most of what they said. More detail in the M22s - but not by a lot, but most everyone seems to say that. The Ascends seem fuller in the MIDRANGE. Bass may be close - I think I have handicapped my ascends by how close to the wall they are, and they are in a more bare room - making the treble stand out more I think.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 41
i dont know any of those choices you have, but i may make it difficult. I will run in and out of this room screaming "fluance"

Post Number: 8
What does fluance mean?

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 42
www.fluance.com

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 135
I would shy away from Axiom. I auditioned the M50Ti floorstander with the same drivers as the M3Ti...one inch titanium dome tweeter and two six inch aluminum woofers (the M3ti is of course a bookshelf speaker with only one woofer.) and I heard coloration in the midrange...the same tone you hear when you tap on the woofer with your finger.

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 157
I have also heard that Fluance speakers are really good and cheap.

Some of the Axiom speakers are definitely colored. At least according to the graphs, the M80s are. Probably the 50s as well. But people seem to like them pretty well.

graph http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/axiom_m80ti/

See axiom site for links to postive reviews

Silver Member

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 158
The Axiom M22s, M3s and M2s have respectable graphs - though not as flat as the Ascends.

So, I assume all axioms are not that "colored" but I could be wrong. The M3s sounded fine to me and to my friend who is a sceptcal audio professional

(He sets up professional concerts and recommended I buy $800 Mackies - but he thought the M3s were "very good" and he is not one to say things he doesn't mean).

jim bob mcbobberts
Unregistered guest
I have never been as pleased with a piece of audio equipment as I am with the Ascend 170s. Period.

Post Number: 9
Alright, so it looks like it could be a tossup between the Ascends and the NHT's!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 117
I'm sold on the Ascends BUT I've had a very limited group of speakers to compare to, I'm afraid.

I've previewed BAs (2 plus times the cost), Infinity (cheaper to a little more) and Klipsch (cheaper to a little more) and some higher end JBLs. But, even at 2-3 times the cost, I'd take the Ascends against any of these.

BUT, I haven't heard the NHTs, Paradigm, NSMs or several others that are highly recommended by others on this site.

Bronze Member
Username: Agimat

Post Number: 85
Tim,

I would highly recommend Acoustic Energy Evo1 for only $199 and sometimes lower. The sound is comparable to Dyn Audience42. Used vifa soft dome tweeter and you can listen the whole day without listening fatigue. The low can go down to 38hz for such a small 5" driver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us