One more time, bookshelves(edster,art,Jan..)

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 462
Ok one more friggin post but this time lets have all details. Amp is denon, bookshelf speakers will be used as a two channel setup only with sub. Mainly records so I like a warm full sound. Room is 15' x 16' with semi-acoustically treated walls. Price range 300-500 pr. I was looking at the Ascend 170's or the paradigm monitor 3's. Any other suggestions from all you guys would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 409
jan doesnt make recommendations. he will probably give you his little thing on why he doesnt. just giving you a heads up.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 463
10-4

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 882
Depends on how much bass you need. If you can do with less bass and will add a sub later I would consider the Ascends in that price range. I really like the Epos ELS 3 but I'm not sure if your amp does 4 ohm loads. Most resepctable amps do. How I hear the Ascends described I think they have a neutral sound that is great for music. The Paradigm Monitor speakers would provide a fuller sound at the expense of a little neutrality and grain. They are a great speker though and have more bass than the Ascends. Your ears will have to decide for you in the end. By the way there are quite a number of very good speakers in that price range. The Tannoy Reveals, bedroom speakers of THE EveAnna Manley. If you've heard a Manley Amp you know of what I speak.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 465
have you heard the epos, if so are they not brighter with an aluminium tweeter? Also i heard a pair or bohlenger/graebner z-1's the other day (planar ribbon tweeter) and detail was amazing but they are 500 pr?? any thoughts

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
May as well add it here too.. check out the Energy C-3s... very good bass response from a bookshelf, with great mids/highs and fantastic imaging. Expect ~$350/pr street price. I have never had the pleasure of auditioning Tannoy bookshelves, but I do enjoy their floorstanders.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 886
I wish I had suggested the Bohlander/Grabener it's a great speaker (oh and just like you I haven't the foggiest if I spelled it right). Aluminum dome really doesn't mean bright unless they are poorly executed which the Epos is not. Neither is the satin anodized aluminum tweeter on the Paradigm Reference series.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4210

There's no need telling you I can't when you've already been told I don't.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 887
Ouch!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 473
ok think I am going with the BG z-1's, got a trade show pair mint that ran for 5 days straight and they are giving me 10% off. get them in two weeks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
haha, sorry jan. i stole your fire. i will let you do the honors next time.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 107
Christopher, geez,

All this time I just assumed Jan didn't like me and that's why he didn't weigh in. OK, I'll try to ask more technically interesting questions in the future AND I'll go listen for myself.

Anonymous

NSM M5S
www.nsmaudio.com

Order today!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4221

NSM 5S - Good!

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
i think jan needs to add that bit to his profile so people ask less often. no people will still ask and not bother reading. i mean the amp, cd and sub section is crawling with car audio people. oh well.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 110
OK folks,

I know Jan doesn't offer advice on speakers often. Now, this is the second time I've seen him recommend NSM 5s or another NSM speaker. Can anyone compare these to the Paradigm Monitor or Reference series, either Ascends, C3s or C5 Energys or anything we've hit in these last 5 plus threads on bookshelves, including mine? And I know that, ultimately, I need to listen for myself BUT I'm reaching speaker information overload here.

Walrus
Unregistered guest
well David I know one speaker that would easily blow all of the aformentioned clear out of the water and all the way to sunny Katmandu: SNM Audio TXM-45Rs with nitro-hydrogen drivers and metal-springlock cabinets. Gotta hear them to believe them...

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 152
Emachines 333k stock speakers!

They are really valuable cause you can get them really cheap and they will make you treasure the speakers you already have!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us