NAD Hissing Concern

Bronze Member
Username: Moorejh

Post Number: 24
Ok, I am getting ready to make a purchase on a receiver. I have all but decided to get a NAD T773 but I have read a couple of rants lately about speakers humming or hissing. Is this something I should worry about?

If so I am also looking at an HK 7300 as an alternative. I will be making a purchase next Thursday when my OT check arrives so I have about a week left and so I need to decide by then.

I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 558
Jay,

You really can't go wrong with either machine. Both are absolutely wonderful, and are some of the best receivers out there. Both are LOADED with power, and both sound great. I own NAD and obviously prefer that sound, but you may prefer HK. I like the detail and clarity that NAD provides. In my opinion, HK can't offer this type of clarity...at least not on the same level as NAD. Audition and see which you like better. A lot of your decision should be based on what kind of speakers you have too. HK receivers are warm sounding, and thus sound best when paired with a brighter speaker. NAD recievers are fairly neutral sounding, and really can be paired successfully with many quality speakers.

I wouldn't worry about any of the NAD hiss/hum reports. I think those reports were greatly overblown. It is true that some had legitimate problems. I am sure you have heard the phrase "a happy customer will go tell 2 of his friends...an unhappy customer will go tell 10 of his friends". I have had several dealers who I trust very much state that they have had no problems with NAD receivers. I spoke with one NAD dealer (who is one of the largest NAD dealers in the midwest) who said that over the past 2 years they have had only 2 units returned...and one of those was because someone spilled beer on top of the unit.

So, I would feel confident buying either. It simply comes down to your preferences in the sound.

colleycol
Unregistered guest
Sorry to be off-topic,

Johnny I am in the Midwest, what dealer is that you are referring as I am looking into NAD?

Thanks

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 559
Two dealers whom I have had a very good relationship are Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago and Kiefs in Lawrence, KS. Both stores offer excellent prices and have a knowledgeable staff...and both are authorized NAD dealers. In fact, neither take internet orders...you have to call them and speak to them before they will ship anything. You will be hardpressed to find cheaper prices on A stock NAD.

These are just the two that I have had personal dealings with. There are many others out there though...check on NAD's website. I think there is also an NAD dealer in Kansas City, MO, but I have never been there.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 560
Oh yeah, if you want to check out their websites, here they are.

www.saturdayaudio.com
www.kiefs.com

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
I have dealt with Kief's and recommend them with no hesitation. Great people. And the best way to get a NAD at a good price.

Just one request. Please don't go audition at your local NAD dealer and then order from Kief's for a discounted price. This would be a very unethical thing to do and eventually results in manufacturers clamping down on such mail-order sales.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Thanks for the comments Johnny! I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that I havent talked to in a while who is a self proclaimed audiophile. Quoting him "I am an idiot if I choose anything but the NAD in that price range". So between the 2 of you I have decided to get the T773 and not look back. Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1322
Nevermind the hissing....

Watch out for the humming and buzzing.

OUCHL:-(

Username: Rob_visscher

Netherlands

Post Number: 5
Hi Jay,

Don't worry about the humming and hissing (anymore)
If you can afford it go for it!

Hissing and humming were problems in the first edition of the T7x3 ( I returned 3 T753's a year ago before getting a modified one without the humming, and with the last modification in the processor (which I'm having done right now), the hissing should also be over.
If you buy a new unit now, you should have no problems at all.

Also in my specific experience, when I bought new speakers, the hiss was much less than before.

The humming was the biggest problemand that is all solved long ago.

Rob Visscher

Anonymous

I went to my dealer and noticed that humming is gone but the hissing is still there. Jay why don't you call NAD toll free to verify it and the best way is listen to it before you buy.

Good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
On the other hand, it could be viewed as a positive. Some people might enjoy a light hissing sound in the background to add character to whatever they're listening too.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
Paul, now you have started talking to yourself?

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 88
Jay I'm sure you'll be happy with your NAD. I have a 753 and I love it. Of course I'd like the one you're getting even more ;)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hissing or no hissing I ordered it today. I cant wait for it to get here!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1403
Good luck......
The 773 looks like one of their better models.
If it does hiss, you could always listen to "Riders on the Storm'. The rainfall in that track should drown out any background noise:-)

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1007
YES you do exist, Paul! You do exist! And we all love you very much!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1428
C'mon eddie.

Stop acting so weird.

Username: Ht_addict

Post Number: 9
Jay, I got a NAD T773 about 6wks ago, and it had a problem with hiss/hum. Contacted NAD and after a few emails back and forth, ended up going down to Lenbrook headoffice an picked up a new unit. Hiss/hum is gone.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1036
hey Paul, you oughta be payin' me for all that free therapy I'm givin' ya!

Feel free to PM me your credit card info, heh.

Bronze Member
Username: Kingfish

Post Number: 89
Every amp I've had always had a little hiss. I have a NAD T773 Jay. Its wonderful and I love the sound. The humm/hiss problem source was identified quite awhile ago now, down to a certain circuit board in the T753. I tried out one that had the problem and that when I found out they had a batch that had these bad boards after I talked to NAD. Don't worry, no more bad ones. You'll be getting the firmware version 2 also, which has some nice features in the settings. Nad sounds great, you'll love the clarity and the ease of use. I've had mine now since August 2004. Its great. You will have a little hiss at high volume (when idle) which is normal for any amp. Enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 175
If every amp you've had has a little hiss, it may not be the amp at all. It may be your power. Have you tried a power conditioner?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 246
I agree. I think you have an electric problem somewhere. My dealer told me once that if this happens, eliminate one cord at a time and usually your problem can be found. Sometimes one connection is the problem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1493
Imagine going through life 'only' owning NAD recievers, and thinking the hiss you were hearing was normal.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 184
Imagine going through life 'only' owning Cerwin Vegas and thinking the Orange Ring looked cool.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 514
That made me laugh lol!

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 187
I know we shouldn't take shots at each other. There's been a lot of that lately, but I couldn't hold back... he set himself up for that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1494
Hey C'mon.....

Those orange rings "ARE" cool.

HEH

Username: Ht_addict

Post Number: 10
Hiss is commom in toroidal based power units, which the NAD has. I also heard hiss in my Rotel RMB-1095 and 1066 when they were in my setup. And like the NAD your ear has to be right up next to the tweeter to hear.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 256
You know it's strange that my dealer that sells NAD never has these hissing problems! Maybe it's only the Internet companies that are not linked with the company that are selling bad stuff!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Stu,
I've been into electronics since I was a kid. Every amp has a certain amount of hiss. Ever stood close to a speaker with your ear somewhat close to it? Its normal. Yes I do have a line conditioner. Thanks for concern.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 135
Paul,
I'd rather have a NAD when the music is "hissing", than a Yamaha where the music is "missing".

p.s. My NAD doesn't hiss, anyway. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Yamaha was a good product. You get what you pay for. I had many years of enjoyment with Yamaha. I wanted to take my system up to the next level. Nad did it for me. Its a beaut.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 136
Keith,

I had a moderately priced Yamaha receiver for a while and it was okay - it was better for music than my previous $1800 Onkyo, for example.

I was mainly having a go at Paul for ranting about a product, NAD, which he has never heard - and who doesn't even listen to music.

I'll be slated by Onkyo fans next. lol :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
A bit of chivalry does the heart good. You don't hear any hiss? Get a hearing aid...oh please. What, do you turn it up to -30?

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 137
Keith,
I sometimes have the volume at +6 for some sources. At max +12 with no source I get a very low hum from the fronts.
If you get anything much different then take it back for repair or replacement!

Regards,
diablo (with no known hearing problem)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1507
Diablo,

Good one.....

And yes, I've listened to NAD receivers before. Not any of their recent models though. Have you ever bought a product, or had a friend who owned one that turned out to be junk, and because of that, you never again considered even giving that brand the slightest consideration???

Well.....

I have, and it was called NAD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
No Hum here at any level. Was so glad after unpacking and hooking the web of wires, I had no humm, like I had with the test drive of T753.

BTW, I was talking about hiss.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Paul, my local rep let me take 2 Nad's home. Try it yourself.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 138
Paul,
Sorry, I wasn't aware that you had heard the brand, I mis-remembered your recent statement "I havnt listened to the NAD and probably never will for the same reason that I wouldnt consider buying certain brands of TVs regardless of how great their pictures are." as a reference to all NAD products. Which I accept as being illogical on my part.

Keith,
I have no problems with hiss either. Do you have such problems? Which model do you have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Paul, no problems such as you do. Hiss only becomes prevalant after they are switched on into speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Sorry Paul, wrong name.

diablo, no problems such as you do. Hiss only becomes prevalant after they are switched on into speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1509
Diablo,
I knew someone who owned a lemon and something was always going wrong with it, so I never really considered that brand for myself. It is true that I havent listened to any of their new surround technology, and probably never will unless it's by accident. Im sure you understand how things like that work out sometimes.

Silver Member

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 139
Keith,
I have never had any problems with hiss. It is much the same as any other amp I have ever heard, in that if,with the volume high, you put an ear within 3 inches of a tweeter, either with no source, or between tracks, then you will hear some hiss.
Hiss from a normal listening position is either a fault or already present on the source.

Paul,
I quite understand. I am totally biased against Onkyo and Tag McLaren. Possibly without reason - though I doubt it. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us