Speaker Advice Please

Unregistered guest
I am looking for some advise from you experts. I have a great room that is about 25' x 40' with 20' ceilings. I am looking to replace my old wore out DCM600 speakers with something better in the <$500/pair price range. I have a Harman Kardon AVR120 receiver. I have been considering the JBL E100's or SDAT SB-E880's or SDAT SB-E639D. These will be primarily for music cd listening only. Any expert advise out there would be greatly appreciated...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4175

25 x 40 x 20 feet!!!??? No wonder the DCM's are worn out. How about telling us more about your requirements.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 929
Don't know anything about SDAT but these Athenas would be my first choice for a room that big:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2%2E2&product_name =F2%2E2%20Speakers%20Black,%20Pair

Does the AVR120 have amplifier pre-outs?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 837
Man that's a big room... Make sure you get efficient speakers!

Well, you guys know what I'd recommend for such a large space... used Klipsch Cornwall.

Unregistered guest
I searched for information on the Klipsch Cornwall's and found that they are no longer made...? At this time I am torn between the Athena ASF2.2 and the JBL E80/E100's.
How do these compare in quality and sound? They are comperably priced. I measured the room and it is actually 25'x 36' with 20' ceilings.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 840
That's why I said used Klipsch Cornwall.
They are probably beyond your budget anyway.

Unregistered guest
OK, that is no help. Do you have any suggestions for speaker that are still available and are in my budget, such as the JBL and Athena models mentioned...?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4188

"25'x 36' with 20' ceilings."

Oh, well, in that case ...

I'm guessing you don't know what your requirements are. Or are you just keeping them a secret?

Unregistered guest
Definitely no secrets. I am looking for some advise from the so called "audiophiles" that spend time on this site claiming to know it all about audio equipment. My requirements are a good pair of speakers for a large room that are in my budget of <$500/pair. What other requirement information is needed...?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 841
I am looking for some advise from the so called "audiophiles" that spend time on this site claiming to know it all about audio equipment.

Well there goes my willingness to help you out. Good luck with that.

Bronze Member
Username: Mauimusicman

Post Number: 89
Bose 301.

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 33
they are asking you what type of listening you want. Extreme bass, loud and no bass. Movies, music? Action or soap opera? What do you watch mostly, what are your plans for the system. How do you want to place them? what kind of receiver?, how about a sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 85
Shermanez,

I'm a noobie also. BUT, I think what Jan is asking is what are your listening preferences, for one. Jazz, rock, hip hop, classic, etc. And, how loud do you want them to play?

Are you a guy who likes strong bass, good highs, midrange and highs, etc.?

Are you looking for bookshelves, floorstanders, in wall, etc.?

$500/pair - could probably lead to recommendations for a few hundred speakers so they are looking for more information from you so they can direct you towards speakers that might work in that fairly large room. (You might also tell them about the room, i.e., what furniture is in it, windows, problems with placement, etc.)

Once you give them something to go on, the people on this site are friendly, helpful, at times dogmatic in their speaker preferences and almost always willing to help. SO, lose the attitude and you might catch more flies with honey than ____. Otherwise, to paraphrase my wise Canadian friend, Peter, and to put it in language Jan hears everyday, "This dog won't hunt, Billy Bob."

Oh, I almost forgot, they also have great senses of humor, if you give them a chance. (Well and that includes Paul, BUT I'll just speak for him now. Cerwin Vegas with a big butt, powered sub.) LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 34
ooops i think those questions were already answered ....isnt my face red.

but mostly loud or soft or feel the bass what type of music?

Bronze Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 87
Hey, Charles, don't be a smarty aleck. My post was longer and it took longer to get it all down so I didn't see your post until after I wrote it, SO THERE. (I'd stick my tongue out but you can't do that on a computer.) :-)

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the further clarification.
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR120
Use: Mostly music cd's
Listening preference: Progressive and Classic Rock, some classical with piano.
I like the volume fairly loud. I like strong but tight bass with good separation and clarity of the mid's and highs. (probably not the proper terminology for audiophiles...). I think that a quality pair of floor standing speakers may best suit my needs.
There are a lot of large windows in the room and a few pieces of furniture including a billiard table.
So far, I think that the Athena AS F2.2 or the JBL E100's may be the best choice in the $500/pair price range.
I appreciate any helpful advice or feedback.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 845
What are the DCM600? The only links I found are for an amplifier. How efficient were they? Were you driving them close to the max or did you have lots of headroom? i.e. do you need something of eual or greater efficiency?

Anonymous

Perhaps the DCM Timeframe 600?

Anonymous

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/manuals/TF600.pdf

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 847
Sweet, thanks!

92 dB efficiency is above average but not very uncommon. If you had to drive these hard to fill the room, I suggest you look for at least the same and perhaps higher numbers. Unfortunately, high efficiency speakers at less than $500 a pair is not usually synonymous with high quality. There's the JBL E100, some Cervin Vega, or perhaps some Athena's could pull it off.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 848
Hmmm... Would the Ascend CMT-340m work out here?

92 dB efficiency... Same as your old ones.

$548 + $22 shipping is almost within budget...

Anonymous

They would require a sub though... The options shermanez have listed wouldnt so much. I would shoot for Klipsch Synergy series if efficiency were my chief requirement. He also has a HK receiver which should drive them well enough. Of course they are expensive, but they do go on sale fairly often.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 850
Klipsch... What are those?

:-)

Now why didn't I think of them? Probably because I didn't associate them with that price range. I guess the F1 is about $500 a pair.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=834

But I don't know that they would outperform Ascend's until you got higher up in the Klipsch line-up.

Anonymous

Performance could always be modified. Open them up and add some additional bracing. If he's handy, he could upgrade the crossover pretty cheaply too.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
If you can spring an extra $50-100 and want floorstanders, you should check out the Energy C-5s. They'll provide good, tight bass response with excellent mids/highs and great imaging. I use them in a large (but smaller) room (25x20x20) with a Denon 3802/1082 and they fill the room with good sound pretty easily.

Unregistered guest
I appreciate the suggestions guys. Not much comment on the Athena F2.2 or JBL E100's, which I thought I had narrowed my search to. How do these two compare to the other suggestions...?
I have been reading tons of awsome reviews and hype about the Athena F2.2's for the price...?

Unregistered guest
I appreciate the suggestions guys. Not much comment on the Athena F2.2 or JBL E100's, which I thought I had narrowed my search to. How do these two compare to the other suggestions...?
I have been reading tons of awsome reviews and hype about the Athena F2.2's for the price...?

Unregistered guest
Yes Anonymous, you are correct. They are DCM Timeframe 600's. They have been good speakers over the years, but going on 10 years of hard play and performance that is coming up short of impressive at this point, has me wanting to replace and upgrade. I was focused on the Athena AS F2.2 and JBL E100's, but you all have now expanded the options to include Klipsch Synergy, Ascend CMT-340m and Energy C-5's. Based on my "requirements" and budget, which of these 5 are the best "bang for the buck" for what I plan to use them for...? Again, thanks in advance for your time and great expert opinions!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us