Help, volume low on one channel from turntable

Username: Vinkle

Post Number: 1
Hello,
My Technics SL-D2 died after many years of faithful service. I purchased a Sansui SR-5090. It has an old Orthofon cartridge on it. As I've been using turntables for thirty years I knew how to set everything up properly.

The problem is that the sound on playing an album is about half the volume on the left channel as it is on the right. If I adjust the balance (on a mono LP) I can get nice balanced sound. I have switched the inputs to make certain something has not happened to the phono preamp on my amplifier, so that is not the problem.

I'm wondering if it's possibly the cartridge or the stylus. The cantilever is very slightly bent. The stylus is worn. Otherwise I assume it is the wiring somewhere (hopefully not in the arm). The table tracks properly, and of such good quality that there is no motor noise whatsoever.

The reason I ask is I'd prefer to use my option to return the table for a refund rather than spend $150+ on a new cart & find out I need some potentially expensive repairs.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4123

If you can see the bend in the cantilever, consider how much that places the stylus out of alignment in the width of a phono groove. I'd replace the cartridge or at least the stylus.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

Post Number: 2
Jan, Thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply. All along my plan had been to replace the cart once I verified the table worked properly. Do you think a new cart will solve my problem, or does this symptom suggest I may be looking at a problem with the table itself?
Thanks again,
Larry

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4136

The likelyhood this is a problem with the table is minimal. You can check by reversing the leads at the cartridge.

I hope you have not damaged your records by playing with a bad stylus.

Post Number: 3
Jan,
I didn't play any good records with a stylus I suspected was worn, just some records I use to test things, OK condition but I have better copies.

It turns out one of the wires in the headshell had a bit of a short in it, so I replaced the headshell and the table works perfectly now.

Unregistered guest
Can i get free schematics for the following .I will return them promptly aafter use
Grundig taperecorder TK745
technics turntable SLQ2

Grundig tuner amp R2000-2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us