Speakercraft

jimc
Unregistered guest
I'm in the process of installing a surround system using the NAD t763 and was wondering if anyone has any comments on the speakercraft MIT four speakers (6), Thanks in advance and I'm glad I found this site.

Jim

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4108

Do you like them? Have you compared them to any other speakers?

jimc
Unregistered guest
I have not heard them, they are being highly recommended by the installer I've hired to build my home theater, he says I won't be disappointed.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4154

Ask the installer what happens if you are disappointed and go from there. I'm unfamiliar with the brand name. That doesn't mean much, there are dozens of speaker brands that I've never heard; particularly when it comes to "installer systems". But it could mean you will be disappointed when you hear a brand name speaker and wonder what you actually bought.

I would ask the installer for some more information and possibly a demonstration before agreeing to the deal. Often installers will find a speaker you can't find in a shop and therefore cannot cross shop on price or quality. It's difficult when you are dealing with products you can't hear until you have them installed; but it is also a poor idea to buy a speaker you have never heard. I'd push for a demo of some sort and get it in writing what happens if you are not satisfied.

Username: Cstein1017

Post Number: 4
Speakercraft is a durable, good sounding speaker with a decent reputation. They are commonly used by professional installers because they are inexepensive and deliver high quality sound. Don't be turned off because you've never heard of them. Most consumer brands (Bose, Polk Audio, Boston Acoustics) are way overpriced for what the deliver. Also consider BIC or NXG. Both seem to be built with materials (titanium, mylar, rubber surround)and specs promising to pack clean tones with steady bass at very loud levels (120W, 90dbs, 6.5" sub, and 1" pivoting tweater). I think SpeakerCraft is right in there also. Compare to any high end brand costing hundreds or even thousands more. I'd ask your installer what models he's using and then price them online (ie. www.hififorless.com, www.partsexpress.com). Make sure he is not overcharging you for these. I think they'll sound great so long as your receiver has the power to drive them. Bring on the popcorn!

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 881
At $724 a pair, they seem a little pricey. Not at all what I'd call inexpensive for a mini bookshelf size. But Chad says they compare to speakers costing thousands more, so what do I know...

But then Chad says to consider BIC speakers. The M-60 is of comparable size (and specs) and cost $89 each. So I'd hope that the Speakercraft sounds a lot better for 4 times the price!

Username: Cstein1017

Post Number: 5
Agreed. I was thinking of SpeakerWorks. Sorry for the confusion. I hope they sound four times better also.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 138
jimc -
You really need to hear them before spending your hard earned money on them. Jan brought up very good points. Ask them where they have installed them and if you can hear them too. The store may even have an employee/owner that owns them and will let you come over to listen. If they won't let you listen to them in any way, I'd probably stay away. They may be hiding something. If they install them and you don't end up liking them, then what? Will they come over and repair all of the holes in the walls/ceiling? I wouldn't want to deal with that. If they sell and install them, they should know of at least one or two places that you can hear them at, mall, bars, etc. excluded because they will sound different their too.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 481
Hallo there

Jim.

Are they in-wall types likes these ones pictured hear...

Jan what do you think on --wall, as for myself I would never use them for front matching; most impact should come from the fronts.

Jim, if you are installing a front projection video projector, place 3x matching loudspeakers behind the screen on a sound stage at ¾ screen height angled downwards to the centre point in the room, the sweet spot.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 886
Stu is absolutely right. If I were a satisfied customer (and presumably you're not the first one), I'd be happy to show off my system once-in-a-while. And if they expect to sell then, then they should be setup to let you listen to them.

Unlike small bookshelf speakers from the store, you'll be stuck with these for a long time.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 483
Hallo there

Peter,

Tim, I agree with Peter on that stuck indeed think of the universal sound of whole loudness with very in much ways little limitations, like to see what Peter, as in store for us to gander over.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us