Home System

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 652
For under a grand what pair of towers speakers and a matching sub would you get to get a get crystal clear sound that can get loud? It'll be powered by a Pioneer VSX-455

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 780
There's no need to match a sub. There's no timbre to match.

For under 1K$, I'd go used for the speakers (others will say Ascent, Paradigm, etc), and perhaps a Titanik kit for the sub.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 653
what about jbl?

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 782
For the sub or speakers?

I think the vintage horn-loaded JBL stuff is probably of much better quality than their current lower-end offerings. But I can't say I've heard any recently. They are not often praised by audiophiles. They would be loud, but I don't know if they would be good. If you want sound that loud, I'd suggest Klipsch. In the used market, people on the Klipsch forum swear by the Klipsch Cornwall, often ranking it only below the Klipschorn. Look on ebay or audiogon. If you got a pair for a good market price and didn't like them, you could resell them for the same price. Can't say that much for new speakers.

As for subs, you'd do better in a sub-only brand for the same budget.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 654
i just want something that is gonna sound exactly like it was recorded. just a simple two spear and a sub setup.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 783
Wahl,

Realistically, speakers go up in price to 100K$. If a perfect pair of speakers existed for 1K$, we'd all own it. To me, the speaker is what affects the sound the most and therefore gets mosts of the budget. It's even worse now with 5.1 instead of stereo! But all speakers have strong points and flaws. The higher up you go in price, the smaller the return in increased performance. This is why I recommend used speakers since they allow you to get better gear for your budget.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 655
ic ic. thanks for your help. i know my car audio but i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to home audio. i have a pair of ADS L9 or something like that from back in the 80's. They sound pretty good but it's like they're missing something. I dunno. thanks for your help anyway though.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 853
Wahl,

> i just want something that is gonna sound exactly like it was recorded.

In that case go directly to the ascendacoustics.com website and don't look back! : )

Ascend speakers are famous for their flat frequency response and neutrality, I shopped speakers ALOT before I bought and nothing I heard under about $1300 came close. Google their CBM-170s for a plethora of rave reviews from both consumers and pros.

With a $1K budget for a 2.1 setup I'd suggest a pair of CBM-170s with a Hsu STF-1 sub if you have a smaller room ($650 shipped), or a pair of CBM-340s with a Hsu STF-2 ($985 shipped) or STF-3 (add $200) if it's a large room. The 340s will provide more SPL with same or better SQ than the 170s if that's what you're after.

If you order a pair and dislike them (very rare) you have 30 days to ship them back for a refund, just pay $25 return shipping, far less than restocking fees at most shops. Or you might be able to find an Ascend owner within driving distance of your town who'd let you come listen---this is what sold me on them. Post a "local audition wanted" note here and see what happens:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/

Also here's a good thread on the Ascends from another forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=532163&highlight=catch+with+asce nd
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us