Naim, arcam and impedence question

Username: Jblum

Post Number: 8
I recently bought an arcam A80 amp (along with T31 tuner and CD73 cd player), and want to buy some naim n-sat speakers for the system. The A80 specs say that 'if one or both pairs of speakers have an impedence of less than 8 ohms, the combined load on the amplifier falls below 4 ohms and could cause an overload so the amplifier will not work.' The naim specs say it's impedence is 6 ohms. The dealer says that's not a problem, and that the amp will drive the speakers fine. Do I need to worry?

Thanks

Post Number: 9
can anybody help on this?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4077

You don't say who the "dealer" represents.

If the dealer is the speaker seller only, I would check with the amplifier manufacturer.

If the dealer represents both the amp and speakers, then I would trust the dealer.

Ask about how low the impedance dips on the speaker and get an assurance the amplifier can handle the load.

If the dealer represents the amp and speakers have them hook the system up to demonstrate their confidence.

If the dealer represents only the speakers and not the amp, take your amp into the shop for a demonstration before you purchase the speakers.

Normally this load on that amp should be fine. But, make certain you will be happy before you make a purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 784
It sounds like those specs refer to playing two pairs at the same time, and that the amplifier is happy down to 4 ohms. If that is the case, then 6 ohms should be okay. But do ask about the lowest impedence dip. Jan is right about that!

Post Number: 10
Thanks. NAIM tech support tells me lowest impedance is 4 ohms at very high frequency, and that it should be fine with Arcam amp. Waiting to hear from Arcam. I'm not a physicist, so I have no idea what it all means. Just want it to sound good......

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 806
Sounds like you should be okay then...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us