Bose is the worlds best!

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 171
ok maybe not but anyways i just a read an article by rich wang which was interesting http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html. just wanted to get some opinions....

ive never owned any bose products so i really cant say yea or nea as far as reliability. and from the article it seems build quality is crap. but...ive listened to many bose products both in show rooms and friends houses.

yes i believe most of their products r overpriced but i thought the 201s and 301s were decent from a performance view point. i know that "good and bad" is subjective when listening to speakers but i liked both of them. i do like speakers that r bass heavy. i ended up buying jbl e30s instead because i live in a small apt and wouldnt have the opportunity to blast them. otherwise i wouldve purchased the 301s. at the time, 201s-$200, 301s-280$, e30s-$300. im sure i couldve got the jbls cheaper but i was in a hurry.

i auditioned, axioms, b&ws, klipsch, energy, boston acoustics, and other bb and cc brands.(i know audiophiles dont shop at those places but im not looking for martin logans) a reliable person on this forum recommended $500 energy speakers which i really wasnt impressed with. the ones liked the best were bose 301s, klipsch(forgot which model but they were$400 bookshelf reference), jbl e30s. the comparisons werent great because they werent in the same show rooms, differents amps, and i wasnt contolling the volume ctrls etc.

guess my question is bose really that bad? i think they sound decent and affordable(201s &301s). yes they r crappy build quality and perhaps they spend more money towards marketing and aesthetics but so does apple comps and mp3 players. so if ppl wanna spend their money on aesthetics thats their choice no? i did buy 2 other brands of mp3 players which had better reviews than ipod and i returned them all because they were crap. ive had the ipod for 6mths with no probs. ive dropped it countless times. i know it has nothing to do with speakers but my point is products arent necessarily bad just because other ppl say it is. what do u guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 727
"my point is products arent necessarily bad just because other ppl say it is."

You're right! Bose is bad because it sounds bad not because someone else said it was bad. Did I use the word bad enough in that last sentence, sorry. Honestly there are worse speakers than Bose. I'm not sure what they are as I think even the infamous "white van" speakers are at least as good. When you listen to the $300 and $400 speakers at CC and BB they often sound bad due to poor setup and low quality electronics driving them. Today you can buy a very good speaker for $300-$400. Just say no to Bose.

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 134
It's not that Bose is the worst speaker in the world, it's just that with the high price (lifestyles, Acoustimass speakers, headphones) and the MASSIVE hype behind bose products, we get pissed because bose doesn't deliver. At half the price, and half the hype, yeah, I might consider bose a reputable company...

It's like the 2 later Matrix movies: hyped to hell, didn't deliver. You get that much hype and you expect big things. That is Bose's biggest downfall, IMHO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
ok so bose r greedy basterds but is there any audio Co not trying to make money? besides im assuming ppl who buy bose listen to them first and buy them of their own accord. bose doesnt force anyone to buy their product. so the product is flimsy but their marketing dept seems to be doing all right if everyones buying the stuff right?(i know u guys r going say its mass media brainwashing)

lol dang u guys really hate bose eh...so $200 for 201s is expensive? even if u buy ur own wood and components its gonna be more than $200 no? i didnt really see any bookshelf speakers for $300-400, or at least not the ones u guys talk about on this forum. well i guess if u order online maybe but i saw 2way b&ws going for $500, 2way Klipsch for$400. ok i take that back i saw 2way athenas for like $250.

i know u guys always say the hi end speakers r better because the highs and mid freqs r more accurate. is this important if ur listening to hip-hop/r&b? the bass is more crucial if u listen that genre no?

Anonymous

Bose speakers are very suitable for hip-hop.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 735
Since I don't listen to much hip-hop I wouldn't know (maybe a little Dre on the side). Rock on!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 508
I like hip hop but have npticed it's not a musical genre that you can see a lot of benefits from between different systems. As long as the balance between low and mid range is comprable, the music really sounds the same on all systems. Also since bose stresses the frequencies that hip hop music centres around I wouldn't argue that it would sound good on bose. As long as you don't care about representation of the original work or a equal freqency response, Bose, while overpriced delivers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
r u guys familiar with adire? i know they make components for both home and mobile audio. but they dont make speakers(including the cabinets)do they?

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 750
Perhaps they do.

http://www.adireaudio.com/

engine giver
Unregistered guest
Bose 901s good party speakers. Rattle teepee. Otherwise Bose sucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 23
That Adire link is interesting. They claim their 2-way floorstander will do 23 hz- 20 khz at +-3 db and show the frequency diagram to go with it. That would be some good bass extension there...

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 24
Oh, I wasn't knocking, actually saying that honestly looks interesting.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
i believe theyre a diy based co. they sell the cabinet and speakers but u have to put it together yourself. i do have theyre shiva sub in my car and it seems decent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
damn $1400 for the 901s... could get a home theater system for that lol

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 646
If bass is important to you, I can see why you like Bose 301 - it has 8 inch woofer (bigger than most competitor) that is loaded with a tunnel to enhance it. It sounds bigger than similar size speaker in the bass.

The ringing effect is quite pleasant in fact - if you mate them with a smooth sounding amp.

Since Bose is not so refined sounding, it's hard to find an amp to match it, that will not give you a listener fatigue on prolonged listening sessions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
thx for the info

yeah i definitely liked the 8in driver in the 301 vs the 4in driver in an energy conniseur. also the the 301s were$280 and the energy was like$400. i know u guys r gonna say the energy much better but i didnt really care for them.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
There are no current Energy Connoisseur series speakers with 4" drivers. The C-1 and C-7 have 5.5" drivers, and the C-3, C-5 and C-9 have 6.5" drivers. $400 is about right for the C-3s, but ANY of them sound better than ANYthing that has a BOSE name on it.

The Energy Encore series does use 4" drivers, but they are not in the same league as the Connoisseur series - and also much less expensive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
ok iggy much thx for ur tremendously enlightening input, perhaps they were 5.5. have u ever heard of the term "exaggeration"? i did listen to the c-1/c-3s and for my music preference, they were lacking. im sure the floorstanders r much better bass wise considering they have 3-4 drivers but i was looking for compact speakers.

but my whole point was it doesnt matter if u spend $5k on speakers its a waste of money if u dont like them. im sure u love energy much more than bose, thats ur subjective opinion. if everyone agreed with u i dont think bose would be making so much money.

btw ur these speakers r better "just because" mentality might be a lil more persuasive if giving reasoning/facts instead of just because. but thx for ur time anyways god of audio

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
hey art there aint nothin wrong with old school, dre/aint nothin but a g thang was a classic. if u wanna try somethin new, give 50cent a try....candy shop, in da club. i guess young ppl just love bass too much lol.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 109
Bose are for people who are not critical listeners of music. They give you an immediate sense of false richness but there is no detail at all.

ZiggyZoggyOiOiOi
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry Chas.. I missed the part about what type of music you listened to. If you listened to anything that accented the highs and midranges and needed tight, controlled bass to go with excellent imaging, you would like Energy (and B&W, and Klipsch, and Axiom, and Athena) better than Bose. For that crap, Bose is perfect, and I wish you well with them.

But as an aside, you wrote:
if everyone agreed with u i dont think bose would be making so much money

Don't equate sales with quality. The two have nothing to do with another. Sales is a direct function of marketing, and in the case of the Bose Lifestyle systems, aesthetics. The majority of people buying Bose are people that don't know any better. And that's fine. But why do you suppose Bose spends so much money advertising in things like: Time, Newsweek, USAToday and doesn't advertise in any of the Audio/Video magazines? It's brilliant marketing, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the product being sold.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 113
There must also be something about the markup on those. I walked into ABT appliance outside of Chicago which is really a good store for anything, but their audio selection is fairly good (not really high end stuff, they carry high end lines of Denon, Sony, Panasonic, Onkyo and some decent speakers). Anyway the first thing the salesman pointed me to was the Bose. I was surprised and he saw the dismay on my face and immediately turned the other way and went towards better speakers, but now that I think about it, it was strange that they were right up front and he pointed to them first. Usually I have a little more respect for those folks, but they have to make a living I guess.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 408
markup baby, all about the markup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
"Bose are for people who are not critical listeners of music. They give you an immediate sense of false richness but there is no detail at all."

ok i think i can prolly agree with this. i think the 8" driver especially gives them a sense of "fullness". $200-300 isnt that bad for mediocre speakers r they?

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
ok iggy,
yes i did like klipsch and b&w but for $400-500 i would rather have gotten floorstanding speakers.

"For that crap, Bose is perfect" wow iggy ur intellectual prowess continues to amaze me. again, if everyone agreed with u i dont think hip hop/R&B would be the most popular music genre of the late 90's and 2k. also I dont think hip hop artists would be making millions if their music is total crap. but I guess since u can be so judgmental u prolly gross billions a year, no? what is ur real name? sultan of brunei? just a side note...have u ever sat down and listened to "that crap" before? so what do u listen to zydeco? i have played in an orchestral band and i have listened to most types of music. even if i dont like it i dont believe ive ever labeled anything crap except for maybe heavy metal...just playin. That twisted sister video of the 80's was pretty tight. polkas pretty great too!

"Don't equate sales with quality" again ur egotistical lil mind is making things up, if u actually "read" my posts...first off i already conceded build quality was poor in bose. i made no mention of sales=quality. i stated if everyone agreed with ur opinion bose would be out of business. but i have to give u credit, at least now ur trying to rationalize ur close minded statements. perhaps bose speakers dont have the technical specs to appear in A/V mags but cmon u aint gonna get no martin logans for $200 and if u can hook me up.

Plus I havent been to very many parties where ppl sit around and ponder the "imaging" and "crispness" of the speakers. Usually theyre too busy eating, getting drunk or mackin on ladies. I guess zydeco parties may be different tho.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 766
Actually much to my amazement country music is, and has been the most popular music in America for decades.

Bose is the sponsor of Gramaphone the second holiest grail of classical music CD guides (after the Penguin Guide) and advertises in the Gramaphone magazine which is THE classical music periodical.

Having listened to Bose and owned them back when I was a kid I agree that they aren't very good. But millions of people who are less discerning derive a great deal of pleasure from them. More power to them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
that seems true tho, country music always has different ppl that r popular. i remember back in the day it was it was kenny rogers and dolly parton. i think that was a lil before sirmixalot lol.

wow sponsor of classical music? i thought u guys said bose doesnt perform well enough for classical?

so art r there any good speakers for under $200?

Bronze Member
Username: Kjrice

Post Number: 18
I'll put my Orbs up against any Acousticrap setup.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 834
Paradigm Atoms $199.

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 92
Bose IS the world's best. ...Marketers that is.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 142
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/143575.html

Check out my post at the bottom of the page regarding paradigm speakers and others compared in a test.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 924
Cool!

KBear
Unregistered guest
[quote]"For that crap, Bose is perfect" wow iggy ur intellectual prowess continues to amaze me. again, if everyone agreed with u i dont think hip hop/R&B would be the most popular music genre of the late 90's and 2k. also I dont think hip hop artists would be making millions if their music is total crap.[/quote]

Are you serious? Britney and Christina make millions too. Don't forget The Spice Girls and Backstreet's Back, ALRIGHT! Two of the most popular acts of the 90s. Does that mean their music isn't crap?

I don't like hip hop at all (I prefer melodic music) but if you do that's fine. To each his own. But the music industry today is not fueled by quality, at least rock isn't (can't comment on hip hop). Today's mainstream rock scene is really, really sad.

I wish Axl Rose would hurry up because rock needs a good kick in the @ss. Now there's an album that will be a work of art.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 175
Rock needs some new CD mastering engineers.. thats exactly what it needs. I buy a new rock album and compare it with any older rock album (1991->), the older rock album sounds much better, the drums kick, the cymbals are clear, the bass is feelable. new albums? pssh.. it sounds like its all mixed together, the cymbals sound like they are underwater, being mixed with the vocals, too many clipped samples and the drums are hardly noticable. this doesnt partain to ALL rock albums, but it does to most new ones. there is 2 articles i would like people to read if you like rock music, i found these to be very interesting.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10109
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DA F1C

Bronze Member
Username: 95bcwh

Post Number: 12
I have a 5.1 Orb system (3 x Mod2 front + 2 x Mod1 rear) at home for over a month now that I'm used to how they sounds. Although they're not as nice as some reputatable floor standing speakers (Quad, EPOS, Spendors, Paradigm...etc), but compare to BOSE....ha... there's no comparison!! I used to own a Bose lifestyle-28 ages ago, I have forgotten how it used to sound so yesterday I went into Bose outlet and listen to their latest lifestyle-48 system, I ask the salesman to play my favourite CD, and I was shocked how bad the Bose sounds, the clarity, details wasn't there at all, and worse, the bass wasn't there too. All I heard was loudness with too much midrange and no bottom and no peak! It's like someone trying to sing with his mouth covered. I saw a family happily paying $4000 for the system at the register and I almost wanted to tell them to better spend their money elsewhere. With $4000, you can get a full set of high quality floorstanding speakers that will sounds one million time better than Bose.

KBear
Unregistered guest
I did read those articles and it sounds more like rock needs some new record companies, rather than mastering engineers.

I don't buy too many new CDs because I just don't care for most of the music today, and I'm not an experienced audiophile, but I do have Velvet Revolver's album and I think what you describe is definitely evident there. Sorum's drums sound very dull, whereas on the Illusion albums they pounded. Everything sounds the same volume. I don't much care for VR's music, but this will suck if it happens to Chinese Democracy.

Record companies blow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us