Analogue sound

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 149
How many of you use analogue?
I ask because in one month Ill likely have a new setup. The setup up will be computer based..an emu0404 soundcard to an integrated amp, probably the c320bee and the speakers could be the diamond 9.1s.
I was wondering if its possible to go digital with an integrated amp? But what I dont understand is if Im using the analogue outputs from my soundcard, then how can 24bit processing still be possible. I thought bit referred to their closeness to a complete frequency range.
Suggestions? Different amp needed, or even speakers?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3198
"24 bit" is the size range of the digital samples in the file on the storage medium, such as hard disc, or optical disc (such as CD - where the samples are smaller - 16 bit). The digital-to-analogue converter in the computer or soundcard converts these samples to an analogue signal, which is a wave of changing voltage with time. You give that to one of the inputs of your amp. Most hifi amps are analogue all the way through. The amp will not know or care what the original source was, and neither will the speakers. Speakers, too, are analogue devices for converting the amplified voltage-against-time waves into air-pressure-against-time waves. Which is what sound is: sound itself is analogue. Digital, as a against analogue, is just a different way of storing the information in the recording.

Analogue sources include LP, audio tape (including tape cassette), and conventional radio and TV broadcasts. Digital sources include CD, SACD, DVD, Digital Audio Tape, Digital Audio Broadcasts, and audio files on a computer.

Those are well-regarded amps and speakers, and it does not matter where the source signal comes from. Though at the end of the chain is the listener, and he or she might be able to tell the difference between different sources. And the better the amp and speakers, the more likely any differences will show up.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Yes it does help, thanks! Im going to try and demo the diamonds somewhere If I can find somewhere aswell as the mordaunt short 902, aegis evo ones and mission volare V60. Seeing as your from the UK, would you know anywhere up North of England where I can demo speakers, or do you stick to around London?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3199
You could look in Yellow Pages, also check in the "Dealers" lists of the web sites of the brands you are interested in.

I have had good experience with BADA-registered dealers, including one in Leeds. You have one in Doncaster:
http://hifi.dealers.co.uk/

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
John, thanks a bunch, your a genious. Some of these may be very helpful!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3200
You're most welcome, Jelvis. Let us know how it goes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
Well John, itll be a somewhat slow process. Im 16 and money takes a while to save. Just finishing my gcses currently and you could say Im having a 'revamp' with technology. My dads getting me a new pc :D and Im buying myself a hi-fi for it.
The emu0404 is my definate choice in card, likely to be ordered next week with my new pc. Ill post back here John when I save up enough money to buy them speakers and an amp.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3201
Good luck with all those things!

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Just had a thought John. If I used the analogue out on the emu0404 then would the sound be mono or stereo? I hope stereo, or would an integrated convert the signal to stereo?
Thanks

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3204
Sorry, I don't know that sound card, Jelvis; just check the specification. Most audio things are stereo, these days.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us