B&W vs. Klipsch

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 13
Which is better, B&W or Klipsch?

I'm not too knowledgable of home audio--pretty much a newbie. I'm looking to piece together a decent system, but within a budget. For a receiver, I'm trying to choose between the Denon 2805 and the Onkyo SR-702 (planning on 7.1). What is the best match for these two receivers as far as B&W or Klipsch speakers go? Is there any other brand of speakers I should look at that might sound good with one/both of the receivers listed above?

I'm shooting for around $1500 or so. I've entertained the though of the 2805 with the B&W 300 series. Also, I've seen someone on this forum (I think) who has the 2805 and the B&W 600 series. How does this sound? Will the 2805 push the 600 series in 7.1?

I've also heard Klipsch is really good as well. There website isn't so clear about the matching systems (like B&W 300, or 600, etc). What could I push with the 2805 in Klipsch?

And one more thing...I've read quite a bit about Acoustech and heard that they are a good bang for the buck if you have a limited budget. Would it be worth going that way for now, and putting the money I would by going with Acoustech (opposed to B&W or Klipsch) for future upgrades? (So that I could go to something like the B&W 600 series or Klipsch Ref 7 series, piecing it together more quickly)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 14
And just for clarity...I'm REALLY leaning toward the Denon 2805 b/c I've heard it auditioned on B&W 300 series and thought it sounded pretty dang good! Any problems with the 2805?

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 78
Of those two, I'd choose the Denon too. It'll drive the 600 series in 7.1. As far as speakers go, audition a whole bunch and choose the ones that sound best to you. If your budget is tight, you could consider just purchasing the mains and center for now and add the rears and sub later. Many "build" their systems in that fashion.

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 132
I agree with Denon over Onkyo...Onkyo has lost a lot of quality in recent years.

As far as speakers go, if you're on a budget, you could check out some online only dealers like Axiom, Fluance, and Aperion. Those tend to be some of the best online dealers.

On a personal note, I am a big fan of B&W speakers. I grew up with them in my Dad's setup, and just recently got some 602 S3's of my own...

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 18
Chad,

I personally prefer the B&W DM 600 than the 300. The 600 sound seems more balanced, not so bright and has a superb compact design. I think it matches well with the 2805 and, to my level of requirement, they are enough as fronts, no need to overspend on the 601/602/603. Add a nice sub.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 749
The Acoustech line made up to look liek Klipsch Reference? The one with a single review by a reviewer doing his first speaker review, listening to horn speakers for the first time in his life?

They are probably okay for bargain HT use, but don't compare them seriously to the real thing.

I wish I could answer regarding B&W vs Klipsch Reference, but I can't. I've rarely heard Klipsch Reference and always in really bad settings. The only B&W I've heard were 801's. Technically very nice but they didn't image very well for mw; probably just setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 34
Chad,
I prefered the Klipsch. I have rf-35's, and I liked them over the B&W604's. The reason was the Klipsch felt a little more forward to me. Kinda like the wind blowing in your face versus being "absorbed". However Klipsch tend to be bright, so make sure u like that kinda sound before you buy.... it's not for everyone, my uncle doesn't like the forwardness... (although he's a bose owner so don't know if he counts)

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 35
Forgot to add that i'm using a Pioneer VSX-d811s. Klipsch does not need a lot of power to get to loud volumes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us