Post Number: 13
Small room with a

Harman Kardon AVR 235

any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 363
prolly the hsu, its ported and that usually gives better output for the under$1000 class of subs. Plus it's downfiring which I feel is better anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4002

Sorry, I don't understand why a ported subwoofer would give better output when cost is a concern. While you're at it, joseph, please explain the preference for down firing drivers.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 366
no explanation needed for preference especially when I state "I feel" its better, and as far as ported, ported enclosures tend to have a higher output with less power which is ideal when working with a limited power supply usually included in lower priced subwoofers. If cost is the ONLY concern then no, go for the mkII. I felt that David wanted an opinion on why I would choose one over the other but I guess you feel that he is only concerned with the amount of dollars he is going to spend??

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4008

No, though I've been in situations (grad school)where $50 is a lot of money, I'm usually not looking to buy audio gear when $50 is that important. So I'm not certain what David's criteria amount to. He's given no indication of what is important to him other than possibly $50.

I thought you might give David some logic behind why you prefer this or that. When someone else writes in and states they prefer the opposite to you, David still has no useful information unless he is going to make his purchase based on a poll. As to the ported enclosures, I don't see the point of one enclosure type supposedly being better under a certain price point and another possibly having an edge over that dollar amount. (In the over $1,000 subwoofer price range, servo based systems tend to rule the market anyway.) The difference in efficiency between a sealed and ported enclosure of the same enclosure volume and essentially the same driver is only 3dB; not enough to be substantially different. That 3dB spec can easily be more than made up by the choice of driver the manufacturer uses. Besides, when 200 watt plate amps are going for cheap money, the efficiency spec of a powered sub's driver is not of great importance. In fact, it is often not even stated on the subwoofer's spec sheet.

I hold to the idea that a sealed system is going to give more dynamic bass over a wider range of frequencies at a minimal (if any) difference in volume levels. The sealed box also has a less dramatic low frequency rolloff compared to a vented system (12dB per octave vs. 24dB), so there is often more deep bass to be heard from a sealed enclosure. The sealed box is the easiest to build and therefore has an edge in the budget price range. However, the ported sub will have more output in a narrow range that allows it to show well in the store and, like ported speakers in general, that design is more popular at this time. As you say, not need to explain preference. It is often a matter more of the talent of the designer, than the enclosure type.

In my case I sealed the box on my ported sub to get what I felt was better sound quality. The few dB I lost in SPL was well worth the trade to me. Why I bought a ported sub in the first place is a long story, but after sealing the box the distortion from the driver at higher volumes was lowered to an acceptable level. With the sealed box system, the air inside the cabinet will act as the spring mechanism controlling the driver's motion. In a vented system, the mechanics of the driver's suspension are primarily the controlling factor.

As to downward vs. forward firing, I addressed this in this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/141190.html

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 374
Now thats the way to disagree. I respect you Jan, Even though I don't agree.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4009

Tell me why you disagree. That might give David some useful information.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1145
Ported subs are great training tools for improving small childrens hand-eye coordination. The trick is getting the ball out from the inside of the sub when the succeed in hitting the holes.

HEH

BTW, I like downfiring subs that fire down into a faceplate. I dont know why, other than it makes sense. Downfiring subs are great too, because your children can ram their toy dump trucks into the box without worry of damage.

Actually, I've trained mine 'not' to do both, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 377
When I cover my port like you did Jan, I found that although the bass seemed a little clearer and less punchy, the sound was very weak and too soft sounding. That is my preference though. I like the bass in movies to kick hard and it stems from having alot of car stereo background. Yeah I'm a basshead from way back. I can see how the range is wider and cleaner with a ported box, but without really hammering some power into a sealed sub, the impact isn't as dramatic. I also like paul have a faceplate below the sub, but I installed mine aftermarket(fancy word for mdf board). So being that the subs have about 325 peak watts and I would guess anywhere from 150-200 rms, I suggest getting that extra 3db gained from a ported enclosure. If more is less to you David then maybe a sealed sub is the way to go. As far as the internal components of those two subs, I would be sold bold as to say they probably are pretty identical(especially the plate amps). So I leave the wonderful choice up to you and your ears . Who, in the end, are the only two you need to listen to.

Bronze Member
Username: Lowfront

Post Number: 23
Alright well Im a little confused...
Could U kind of put it into simple terms like

this one if u want this
this one if u want that...

sorry im new to this

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 381
sealed-mkII if you want a more dynamic range but less output
hsu if you want more power and punch

Bronze Member
Username: Lowfront

Post Number: 24
icic...well i soppose because its mostly for music id like the power and punch

does that make sense ?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4013

It depends on the music you listen to. If you are listening mainly to rock music with no really low frequencies beyond the 42Hz of a bass guitar and the occasional synthesized note, then the ported sub might be a better choice. If the music you listen to relies upon subtlety of the player's technique to give meaning to the phrase, then I'd go with the sealed subwoofer enclosure.

The thing is, we can't tell you what to buy. You have to decide for yourself. Normally this invloves listening to two products and making the decision as to which suits your tastes. Since you can't do this with the Parts Express sub until it's assembled, your only option is to take some generalized statements about how enclosures affect the sound and go from there. Reading technical information is not a substitute for hearing a product. What you've read is based on the general characteristics of the two types of speakers. For every sealed speaker with dynamics and subtlety, there is one with slam. And the same goes for the ported enclosure. As I said, it is more the quality of the design and the parts used that makes a better product. Unless you have the ability to listen to both, I doubt you are going to get a definitive answer on this forum. None of us have your ears. And they are what you should use to make the decision.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us