Theatre Research TR-2830

Username: Wowrob

Post Number: 1
I bought two TR-2830's from two guys in a white pick up for $300. Did I get smoked? I hooked them up, and they sound pretty damn good compared to what I had before, but I'm no audiophile. It happened in Scottsdale, Arizona and it was by two ASU Students.

Bronze Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 77
If you like them and are happy with the price you paid then I would have to go ahead and say no you didn't get ripped off. If you think you could have gotten better for the same amount of money, then I would have to go ahead and say yes. Most of your "audiophiles" don't have a clue.

Are these speakers or receivers?

Post Number: 2
Speakers, two towers, with four mid-range, one sub.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 718
Most of your "audiophiles" don't have a clue.

What's that supposed to mean? And then you say you do know that they are speakers. Who doesn't have a clue? ;-)

Theatre Research are "white van scam" speakers. I don't mind them selling on the market but i do mind when people pass them off as some esoteric expensive speaker to sell them!

Anyway, this subject has been beated to death already...

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 79
"Most of your "audiophiles" don't have a clue."

I was referring to the ones who are self proclaimed experts who think that the only good sounding stuff has to have an insane price tag. The ones who when they listen to something that is considered a "budget" system - like my NAD 320BEE and PSB towers - turn their nose up to it.

"And then you say you do know that they are speakers. Who doesn't have a clue? ;-)"

Theater Research makes speakers, receivers, and HTIB (if you want to call them that). I haven't memorized the "White Van Scam" model numbers, and didn't know which of the three he bought, so I asked him.

If he thinks they sound good and is OK paying what he paid, then I'm happy for him. It shouldn't matter what any "audiophile" or the rest of us think.

Not that I thought you or anyone was belittling him by any means.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 80
Rob - If you like them and are happy, then you got a good deal. You could probably find something that is a little better sounding for $300, but how much better in the long run? Plus, if you have lower end stuff like a KLH receiver and CD player (I don't know what you own) you're probably not going to see a big difference no matter how good a speaker you have.

Hearing is very subjective. What one person considers good sound, another hates it. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Post Number: 3
Alright, yea I hooked them up and they sound good to me, and I just saw the entire other discussion in the archives about the scam, so I won't revisit an old topic, but I was just curious about what was going on. Those guys were good actors though... and I don't consider myself a very gullible person either but I definitely bought their story.

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 82
If it helps, how many have fallen for it? You definately aren't the first, and certainly won't be the last.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 724
Like Stu said, if they sound good to you, that's is what is important. It helps it you weren't tricked into believing they are worth much much more, because they are not. But they probably sound like other speakers in that price range.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 725
Most of your "audiophiles" don't have a clue."

I was referring to the ones who are self proclaimed experts who think that the only good sounding stuff has to have an insane price tag. The ones who when they listen to something that is considered a "budget" system - like my NAD 320BEE and PSB towers - turn their nose up to it.

Understood. No problem.

Post Number: 4
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
No way, you got hooked up- look at their retail price!

http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/homespeaker/tr-2830.html

hehe jk . seriously though, how could anybody fall for that ?

Bronze Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 85
If you don't know much about speakers, then it's possible. They haven't been all over the world since the late 70's for no reason.

They got my old man back in the late 80's. They were selling "Becker" home speakers. My father owns a foreign car garage and works on a lot of Mercedes. The real Becker makes OEM stereos for them. He honestly thought that a few guys stole some high end speakers and made up a BS story about them having extras. He paid something like $100 for a pair.

I used them on my NAD 304 integrated for a semester in college while saving up for my PSB Century's. They have to be the worst pieces of $hit of all time - a hollow particle board box with no crossover, two fake horn tweeters (they have a 2" paper tweeter inside some plastic horn) and a 12" woofer that basically reproduces the whole acoustic spectrum. They've also got some fake volume control knobs on them, all covered in an elegant black carpet.

My father doesn't know anything about good speakers, and bought them because he recognized the name. I still haven't told him yet about the scam. I know he'd get so pissed if he ever found out... and it was about 15 years ago!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us