Paradigm Atoms?

Username: Wbd

Post Number: 1
I am thinking about buying some Atoms since I need some new speakers and don't want to spend much.

Reactions?

Any idea where the best place to buy them online is?

Many thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 728
eBay usually has them going for around $120 a pair I think.

what's your max budget?

Barnacle
Unregistered guest
The only way you can buy Paradigm online is used. Paradigm does not allow its dealers to sell over the net.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Barnacle and Edster. My max budget is $200. Is there anything else I should be considering in this range?

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
Look at BestBuy for their closeout deals on Athena speakers, you may be able to get the AS-F1s, AS-B1s or AS-B2s in that price range. Do it fast though, not sure if they have any left still.

Also the PSB Image 1Bs might be good:

http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/closeout1.htm

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1109
If your budget is only $200, this is my recommendation.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6375308&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03061&id=1077625430768

You'll even have a few dollars in change.

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Athena+Technologies&MFGI D=218

The B1s are $180/pr, the B2s are $250/pr. I'd spend the extra $70 on the B2s personally.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, guys. I like the b2s. Question - can they handle a biggish room (16 x 20 feet)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1186
no.....

How do you expect such small speakers to adequately fill a room that large with sound??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4050

You'll have to excuse Paul. He is the resident chowderhead who thinks you judge a system by how much your neighbors house shakes when you play your video system. He considers music a waste of time. So, unless you are similarly brain dead like Paul, the Atoms will probably do OK in that size room. It obviously depends on your taste in music and your preferred volume level.

Use this calculator to find out the potential for the Atoms:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Post Number: 4
Many thanks, Jan - in fact I need to keep the house from shaking, since it is a condo.

Paul - thank you, too! When i get a separate house and want to annoy my neighbor, I will be back in touch.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 83
Good call WBD; if you want advice on how to annoy folks, consult with Paul. He's the world's foremost authority on annoying people -- particularly music loving people who own speakers that have excellent sound and imaging and are not the size of a refrigerator.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 116
Athena B1.2 on amazon for $105 shipped (They said they did not change anything from the B1 to the B1.2).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009WRV1A

I just got some and have been listening only about 10 minutes so I won't comment much - but they live up to expectations so far. Not as fine as Axioms or Ascends but pretty darn good and money still in my wallet.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 794
particularly music loving people who own speakers that have excellent sound and imaging and are not the size of a refrigerator.

Hey watch it! :-)

Mine are the size of a refrigerator!

Silver Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 789
Yes, but I'm sure Jimvm knows that yours are classics, which they really are.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 801
:-)

I was recommending them to a friend because he has the perfect room for them (size and good corners), but he wife doesn't like speakers at all and these are really big. I told him he could put them in the corners and put a handle on the front wood panel to disguise them as fancy cabinets! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4097

Amazing! From Paradigm Atoms to Klipschorns all in one thread. How that happen? Oh, I know; it's Paul's fault.

Silver Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 804
Sorry! I'll take most of the blame!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
Hey c'mon,

I hear the Atoms are great, and sound as 'big' as a pair of bookshelf speakers. The perfect choice for any man who lets his spouse wear the pants and make the HiFi buying decisions.

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 136
You might also want to take a look at the paradigm mini monitors. they're a little more expensive than the atoms, but well worth it!!

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 797
I've owned the Atoms twice and they represent quite a value. They get very loud for a speaker of their diminutive size and price. They sound very good as well. The Atoms perhaps more than the average member of the Paradigm lineup really do sound as good or bad as the electronics you use with them. With cheap electronics they sound very anemic and like...well....$200 speakers. But with step up electronics this speaker comes alive and sounds much better than a $200 speaker has a right to. Question is; Who wants Paradigm Atoms with step up mid fi electronics? That is a question only the consumer can answer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1266
When you say 'better', do you mean like $220 speakers?

HEH.....j/k

Post Number: 5
OK, I got the Paraigms, and they sound very good, even with my old Bose amp. Now I need to get a decent amp and CD player - but I am still cheap.

Suggestions?

Many thanks.

Silver Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 989
NAD C320BEE amp and C521BEE cd player. Inexpensive and very good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1045
WBD,

Go to Harman Audio on eBay, get the best HK receiver you can afford. Their FL3385 cd player should be pretty good too, I haven't heard it myself but it sure looks good on paper---Burr Brown DACs. This is all refurb but you get the full direct HK original warranty...very rare for refurbs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
of course the NAD gear Art recommends would be even better, but depends on your budget.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us